Ultramarines Captain Ardias

Replica

G'day,

I normally don't like having more than one project at a time but as my other project was taking forever i decided to do another captain for my Ultramarines ( i think there's about five now!). Hes made from the captain from the masters of the chapter box set with Sicarius's helmet and a banner ( from a terminator i think). Extremely simple conversions but i dont think any of the models in the masters of the chapter box need much done to them!

gallery_49031_4204_7844.jpg

The banner was painted freehand and because i decided to go with a dark blue and wanted a dark image to go with it.

thanks for looking,

Replica

nurglespuss

OOoooh thats pretty tasty!

Love the banner especially!!

Thanks mate!! ;)

Darth Potato

A very representative model of one of the more 'gothic' inspired Ultramarines out there. Well done. thumbsup.gif

Cheers! That's exactly what i was going for, I love the Roman feel of the ultramarines but its the gothic undertones that I love about 40k

The Emperor's Champion

I think I'm going to end up buying like 3 more Sicarius models...

Good idea! he is certainly one of the best captain models out there and its too easy to paint his trims any colour to represent any of them!

BobaHat

That is kick-ass! A characterful and unique mini with minimal conversion work.

The freehand on the banner is amazing.

Two thumbs up!

Thanks, my other project is a 54mm blood angel which is heavily converted so i did this guy because i wanted to get a brush back in my hand! The skull on the banner is actualy out of the new codex, see if you can find it! ;)

Uncle Mel

I like the gritty yet regal look of your model, my only tiny gripe are the eye lenses which look a lttle bland.

Great freehand though

Mel

Thank you, I wanted him to look proud yet almost understated. Like Uriel from the Graham Mcneill novels, he achieves feats that become legend and at the end of the day he goes back to his small, plain room to thank the Emperor for the opportunity.

Yeah, the lenses are a little bland in the pic because when i took them i forgot to put the gloss varnish on! Though they are quite dark, i felt it would add the the gothic look so i wanted to avoid using orange as a highlight, but i might go aback and improve them.

Thanks everyone for your comments and for taking the time to have a look!

cheers,

Replica

I love the free hand on the banner, but I don't care for the head. I know the Ultramarines are all about the Roman theme, but I hate that helmet.

He also needs some color in his eyes. It looks unfinished.

I agree with the helmet thought. I personally dont actually see much Roman identity in Ultramarines anyway so I don't really understand it.

But apart from that it is a great model.

I really like this it reminds me of the old Ultramarines Captain!

You know the really old one with the Plasma pistol and the short Powersword.

I have a feeling I bought one when I was 12 or 13. :D

(so about 15 or 16 years ago... :D)

I agree with the helmet thought. I personally dont actually see much Roman identity in Ultramarines anyway so I don't really understand it.

They wear lots of gold, very lavished armour, they have an empire, their helms have plumes and they have an emphasis on civilisation, they're one of the few chapters that are adored by the normal humans they rules over. Sicarius, for example, was born into Ultramarine nobility. It's also evident in their names, which include "Maximus", "Remus" and even Marneus "Augustus" Calgar (after the Roman emperor Augustus Caesar).

If you look into it, the history's there.

Anyways, on to more topical things, I love the miniature. All Ultramarine captains should have plumed helms, it just makes them feel more Roman, I'm even planning on attempting some on my sargeants.

Alpha PTP

I love the free hand on the banner, but I don't care for the head. I know the Ultramarines are all about the Roman theme, but I hate that helmet.

He also needs some color in his eyes. It looks unfinished.

Cheers for the compliment! It might just be the photo, but there is a slight red to the eyes, certainly not very bright, but brighter than the pic makes them look

Hedwerx

I really like this it reminds me of the old Ultramarines Captain!

You know the really old one with the Plasma pistol and the short Powersword.

I know exactly what your talking about, that was one of my inspirations, i think that model is one of the most classic Ultramarines there is, thought i hate the sword!

MiniDan

I really like the skull freehand on the banner, really adds to it. Well done smile.gif

Cheers mate!! :)

The Emperor's Champion Posted Oct 31 2009, 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Cosmic castaway @ Oct 30 2009, 10:10 AM) *

I personally dont actually see much Roman identity in Ultramarines anyway so I don't really understand it.

Then you don't know much about the Ultramarines.

Stop by the Ultramarines section some day and we'll learn you some new knowledges. msn-wink.gif

Haha, knowledges...

A17roolz

Anyways, on to more topical things, I love the miniature. All Ultramarine captains should have plumed helms, it just makes them feel more Roman, I'm even planning on attempting some on my sargeants.

Thanks mate, I agree, if your gonna make a non Ultramarines model into an ultramarine the most effective way is with a plume (IMO). I reckon plumes on sgt.'s is a really good idea! from what it says in the codex they arent a captain specific award so even tac marines could wear them!

Thanks for the compliments and criticism everyone, i really appreciate it!

Replica

If we're goin by a sort of Roman feel, I think it should be noted (And this is how I BELIEVE ultramarines do it, anyone who wants feel free to correct me as this is just based off of Roman history) that higher officers have the plume horizontally, like Sicarius, and lower officers have it vertical, such as that special release Sergeant model that came in the 4th edition army box set. So yes, Sergeants can have the plume but it should be vertical. I think it'd be pretty cool, atleast.

If we're goin by a sort of Roman feel, I think it should be noted (And this is how I BELIEVE ultramarines do it, anyone who wants feel free to correct me as this is just based off of Roman history) that higher officers have the plume horizontally, like Sicarius, and lower officers have it vertical, such as that special release Sergeant model that came in the 4th edition army box set. So yes, Sergeants can have the plume but it should be vertical. I think it'd be pretty cool, atleast.

Yeah, i think that's right, the old school captain had it the same as Sicarius but I'm pretty sure there was an old vet sarge model for the ultras with it vertical. I think i might have said something in the 2nd edition 'ultramarines' codex...

even if its wrong its a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...

@ BrotherDarbz - Thanks mate, that's what i was after, simple, Gothic and sort of brooding while also noble.

@ dood515 - Cheers! Im glad you like it! Here is the pic of the captain i think were talking about:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nClWPKP0-e4/SnBk2PwBD6I/AAAAAAAAAV0/0Y92xxk9VGc/s400/ultramarines-captain.jpg

Archived