Thunderfire Question

DAwarrior43

Just an interesting side question I thought of, since Tech Marines are independent characters that means they can join a unit. What if I have a tech marine join with a thunderfire and his tech marine -- if they get hit and the original tech marine dies can the independent marine 'man' the thunderfire?

While we're discussing Thunderfires, or artillery in general, please can you tell me if I'm getting this right:

When the unit is being shot at,by multiple guns (say 9 Heavy bolter shots) is it:

1) Opponent rolls to hit (eg 6 successes)

2) I roll to allocate to gun or Techmarine (eg 3 each)

3) Opp rolls to wound TM

4) I roll armour saves for TM

5) Opp rolls to penetrate tank

6) Opp rolls for damage chart.

If the unit is in cover, where do the cover saves get done? I'm guessing TM's cover save replaces 4) armour saves (if relevant), and the cannon's appear as obscured shots, as 5.1)

Is this correct? Thanks.

While we're discussing Thunderfires, or artillery in general, please can you tell me if I'm getting this right:

When the unit is being shot at,by multiple guns (say 9 Heavy bolter shots) is it:

1) Opponent rolls to hit (eg 6 successes)

2) I roll to allocate to gun or Techmarine (eg 3 each)

3) Opp rolls to wound TM

4) I roll armour saves for TM

5) Opp rolls to penetrate tank

6) Opp rolls for damage chart.

If the unit is in cover, where do the cover saves get done? I'm guessing TM's cover save replaces 4) armour saves (if relevant), and the cannon's appear as obscured shots, as 5.1)

Is this correct? Thanks.

Your close, 3 and 5 are technicly simultainous (thought it doesnt matter so long as it all gets rolled). 6 never happesn though, artillery cannons are automaticly destroyed on any pen or glancing hit, you never roll on the damage chart for them. Also due to them being a unit if 50% of the unit would get cover, the whole unit would get cover. Due to the infantry rules for cover being much more forgiving than the vehicle rules, it will normaly be the techmarine granting cover to the cannon than the other way around, but It is possible to have the cannon in cover and the marine in the open and still be granted cover.

So as a revised order of opperations is

1) opponent rolls to hit

2) you roll to allocate hits to guns/crew

3) Roll to wound infantry/pen vehicles

4) If the unit has more than one gun/crew, allocate wounds to each group as normal (note this will only apply to the crew part of a TFC, and only if an IC has joined)

5) Take aplicable saves (cover/armor)

Archived