Daemonhunters psychic power question

Cpt_Reaper

In the codex it states that upon using Sanctuary that the effects last until the psyker makes another action (move, shoot etc). Can members of the retinue still fire weapons while this power is in effect without ending the power?

Yes they can.

One of the horror stories in my gaming group is about a game between a guy that used 5-man Grey Knight squads and a lot of Inquisitors with this against a Khorne Daemons player that did not use a Soul Grinder that game. As you might guess, the game was very one-sided.

Which is why the Sanctuary power is often considered brokenly overpowered when used in bulk against a Chaos Daemons army.

Well, they are the Daemonhunters. It would be sad if they were useless against Chaos Daemons.

But yes, it becomes "brokenly overpowered" in such cases. I guess it is another reason for Daemon players to take 3 Soul Grinders.

Technicly sanctuary doesnt actualy do much, due to the definition of demon on pg 20 of the deamonhunter rule book. Most deamons from Codex deamons are not included in that list, and thus do not count as deamons for the purpose of that rule. Its a pretty dick move, but then so is sanctuary, so its realy a wash as far as morality goes.

Because as AV13 vehicles they are immune to the GK shooting, and they can actually do something to the small units that are required for Sanctuary to work. (try taking 3 Battlecannon hits on a squad of Marines. Some will die).

And it is not that hard to get all of the small squad under the pie plate (1/3 chance, remember the range of Sanctuary and the size of the pie plate) so even if the Inquisitor survives, most of the Grey Knights will not.

@KhorneHunter57x: Why do you keep mentioning soulgrinders? Unless you get really lucky (and I'm talking stupidly, ridiculously, one in a million kinda lucky) with scatter, you still can't do anything to those inquisitors...

As I mentioned earlier, sanctuary onl works against a finite list models. Soulgrinder is not on that list and can completely ignore sanctuary.

On a side note, sanctuary's effect is centered on the CASTER (that is an individual model) you can still shoot at any other models in the unit asuming you can draw LOS (so at least part of one model in the unit farther than 3 inches from the psyker), though this will likely provide a cover save. This CAN kill the psyker (as wounds are allocated to the entire unit)

And it is not that hard to get all of the small squad under the pie plate (1/3 chance, remember the range of Sanctuary and the size of the pie plate) so even if the Inquisitor survives, most of the Grey Knights will not.
On a side note, sanctuary's effect is centered on the CASTER (that is an individual model) you can still shoot at any other models in the unit asuming you can draw LOS (so at least part of one model in the unit farther than 3 inches from the psyker), though this will likely provide a cover save. This CAN kill the psyker (as wounds are allocated to the entire unit)

That would work, except it's painfully easy to get the whole squad within range of the caster... Think about it, do you really think he's going to go to all that trouble making a list designed to kill daemons and then make a mistake like that?

As for whether or not sanctuary really does affect daemons or not, that's really another discussion. However, it really doesn't matter, in a friendly game if I saw someone take a sanctuary list against my daemons I'd just pack up and walk away. If it was a tournament game (which wouldn't happen, no-one is going to take a santuary list to a tournament), then the judge is far more likely to rule that daemons are daemons than he is to rule that sanctuary doesn't actually work. I'm pretty sure that sanctuary actually doesn't work against anything in the codex if you want to get really RAW about it.

Archived