Combat Squads and Outflanking

Valkyrion

A quick question about Khans special rule allowing for outflanking.

Can I deploy one combat squad on the board at the start of the game and treat the other as being in reserve, thereby allowing half of the squad to outflank?

Or do I have to have the entire unit in reserve, then outflank, then divide my squad?

You decide whether or not a squad is split into combat squads at the time it is deployed. Unit held in reserve are not deployed, they are deployed at the time when they enter the game. So no, you cannot deploy half of the squad and keep the other half in reservem because in order to split the squad you have to be at the point where you deploy it.

Legatus is exactly right. You can never have a combat squad in reserve, only the original 10 man squad. This is also why a combat squad cannot start embarked in a vehicle when they come in from reserves (edit: the exeption being drop pods due to a special note in the combat squads rule). So when you outflank you make one reserve roll for the 10 man squad, and one outflank roll for the 10 man squad, and THEN you can split into combat squads (they will both have to enter from the side you rolled, but can be on oposite ends of that side)

Sorry to bump this, but I didn't want to create a new topic.

How does combat squads, outflanking and having a razorback transport work? The entire unit cannot fit inside the transport, so can I deploy one half inside the razorback separately to the half that isn't? Do I deploy them next to each other, or can't I deploy them in the transport in this case?

To throw MORE fuel on this fire, how about 10-men squads of Deepstriking troops (Terminators, Jump Packers)? Do they land and then split, or can the two combat squads pick separate dropsites?

I've always declared my combat squads during my INITIAL deployment onto the board. Anything that is not on the table at Turn One I considered deployed into reserves, arriving later in the game. I've often combat squadded my Bikers into separate squads, and left the melta elementin reserve while the bolter element deploys.

I've been doing this wrong, then?

To throw MORE fuel on this fire, how about 10-men squads of Deepstriking troops (Terminators, Jump Packers)? Do they land and then split, or can the two combat squads pick separate dropsites?

Honestly I am not positive, I would allow them to drop seperately though.

I've always declared my combat squads during my INITIAL deployment onto the board. Anything that is not on the table at Turn One I considered deployed into reserves, arriving later in the game. I've often combat squadded my Bikers into separate squads, and left the melta elementin reserve while the bolter element deploys.

I've been doing this wrong, then?

This however is distinctly wrong, they are placed into reserve, and then deploy FROM reserves.

The decision to split the unit into combat squads, as well as which models go into each combat squad, must be made when the unit is deployed. Both combat squads can be deployed in separate locations.

5th Ed. Codex Space Marines, page 51, "Combat Squads"

When deploying their army, players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army and instead leave them in reserve.

5th Ed. Rulebook, page 94, "Preparing Reserves"

Roll for arrival of these units as specified in the rules for reserves and then deploy them as follows.

5th Ed. Rulebook, page 95, "Deep Strike"

Well there you go, roll one 10 man squad for reserves, when it comes up you can seperate and drop in different places. However due to the reserves rule saying you must declare entrance method when they go in reserves, both combat squads would have to deep strike. You could not for example have one combat squad deep strike and one come in from your table edge, because those combat squads did not exist when you placed them into reserves.

Archived