Possessed vs CC Chosen

I am expanding my fluff list to 2000 and want to add a dedicated CC squad. Its a pure slaanesh list, so i'm not going with berserkers. I've already got noise marines and don't want more. Lesser daemons fill out my scoring units but aren't useful for much more than tarpitting. Terminators don't really fit the list, and my next project will probably be terminator heavy. That leaves Possessed or Chosen. I don't mind this, as both are extremely fluffy. Of course, both have issues and neither are particularly efficient.

Either squad will be mounted in a rhino and have the Icon of Slaanesh. Beyond that, i'm looking for ideas. I want the squad to come in at about 250 pts, so 215 before the rhino. The tentative options i'm looking at are these:

8 Possessed: Icon of Slaanesh, Rhino = 239 pts.

6 Chosen: Naked champ (there's a greater daemon), Icon of Slaanesh, Flamer, Power Weapon x4, Rhino = 238 pts.

The Chosen squad is going to be fragile, but is extremely fluffy. I could probably buff it up to 7 guys by removing the other naked champ i have for the greater daemon my biker squad. The chosen will take a chunk out of MeQs and hordes, but will be very inefficient once they start taking casualties. They also lack fearless, but i doubt that'll be a huge issue with such a small squad. The infiltrate will add another trick up my sleeve, and could allow for some nasty first turn charges since i have a lash. I might try to get a fist in this squad as well.

In contrast the possessed are more durable and will generally hit harder, even if they don't have power weapons. Depending on what they roll they may perform better or worse in any given situation.

Both squads afford excellent conversion oppertunities, so i'm not concerned about that. Thought's anyone? Is there a better option i've missed?

For ease of gameplay, the possessed take the cake. One special dude; the rest are chumps. The chosen squad has 5 or 6 special guys and you don't want to lose any of them. Wound allocation could be useful though, putting all the hurt on the flamer, for instance, while the rest get the armor saves.

I vote Possessed. With IoS, you basically have FC on always, which is a nice little bonus. Add in the 5++ save and you make a better tarpit killer unit.

You can still handle light armor since S5 is enough to penetrate rear AV10 and if you get any of the useful rolls, you can do some extra damage.

Plus the models are much better.

Well, i'm a noob and i did my math wrong. For some reason i thought possessed were 23 pts. So the possessed squad would be 1 guy smaller at 237 pts. Does that change anybody's opinion on using them over the chosen?

With the way the list is looking i've actually got 256 pts to spend on this squad. For that i'd get one of these:

237 pts for the same 7 man possessed squad with 19 left over. Could grab the possessed a champ (not bad for the GD summoning) or bump my lesser daemon squad up one and put melta bombs somewhere.

The chosen squad would move up to 7 guys with this new point allowance. So the squads are the same size now. I can still grab as much as 26 more pts if i drop my 10 man lesser daemon squad down to 8 (still enough for the new ring on the deepstrike).

EDIT:

Perhaps i should also bring raptors into the comparison. My only gripe with them would be that they don't bring a rhino to the table. Currently my list only has a daemon prince, greater daemon, 2 rhino squads, and 2 defilers as far as big targets go. I feel a third rhino is essential to the armor saturation. But here's what i can get from raptors for 256 pts:

255 pts is 9 raptors with claw champ, icon of slaanesh, melta bombs, and double flamers. Dropping either a raptor or lesser daemon can give them double meltas instead.

EDIT- 762nd post, right under Minigun :P

HA, its a sign.

I decree Iron Chaos Brute to be my Minigun disciple for he is skilled in the art of rotary death. ^_^

I accept! May the six barrels of electrically-driven fury watch over me! Now who wants turtle pie...(cookie for those who get the reference)

On topic:

I'm liking the double flamer Raptors...

I'm partial to the Possessed option because it lets you put another Rhino on the table. With only two Rhinos right now neither one is going to last too long, so overwhelm your enemy's anti-armor units with a large number of vehicles.

I'm guessing the original space left is for 240 points?

6 Chosen, 5 Twin Claws, Icon of Slaanesh, Champion = 238 points

Outflank them (Daemon will have to arrive turn 3 if these guys arrive turn 2, dont depend on it).

Outflank and charge, they will return points if you hit something on the open end. Krak grenades slap vehicles decently like a basilisk or two hitting without rolling since they will be still when you get to them.

16 LC attacks before the marine foes would strike would let you hit for 8 hits and 7.04 dead marines. The rest would try to run, maybe kill one marine with a power fist (you got 6), and then you would finish them off during the enemy assault phase. I think of CC chosen as another HQ choice that acts sort of like a lord. Well two lords at 6 wounds and 16LC attacks on the charge. So if you bring 2 princes it will be a nasty anti armor unit.

Though I will have to say I like a certain chosen build as of lately. 5 Flamers 5 Meltabombs. Either I come in and hit a stationary tank with 5 auto-hit 'meltaguns' that hit rear armor instead of using the AP1 rule. Or the 5 flamers scorch a horde with lots of auto-hits with templates. It's an auto-hit unit that's giving me lots of return kills after playtesting. (I really don't know why but its doing really good)

Just 140 points for the unit. Could bump it to 6 models and an icon of slaanesh with 5 meltabombs to hit a dreadnought, at least one might hit rolling 6's to land one.

Other then that I really advise Possessed. Fearless, more models, traditional rhino tactics with more bodies, and the stats to beat up a wraithlord in melee without having furious charge.

Raptors would be nice as Nihm said, but I think Possessed bring more to a limited list if it had to be between the two and be themed. (I vote for the str5 and 5+ inv save)

Goes to show how much I use the close combat version of chosen~. Oops.

I use Chosen to decent effect without a rhino. As the rules state an outflanking unit must arrive inside their transport. A rhino counts as moving no matter what when coming in from reserves and that disallows melee. If not become a death sentence for 6 models or even 10.

2/3 chance they will come in on the side you want them to. 12" danger zone on both sides of the table when considering the side you want them to come in on. Against chaos, where we lack the numbers to take on the whole table and often churn up the middle (making people split their forces to the corners) gives chosen a large variety of opportunity. I have even stunned a vehicle by chance with the flamers when it moved (big luck) before hammering it with meltabombs.

A different style of termicide but relies on table edges.instead of being out in the open. Almost like having a couple chain fists with combi flamers for much cheaper against the right targets. The most common are the so very numerous targets that have no room for everything (flamers) and the tanks with huge range fearing melee (meltabombs). I wish I had toyed with the idea sooner.

Rhino based chosen units IMO are shooty units that do not do melee. Granting them 12" move, 2" disembark distance and the range of the mobile weapons they carry. I never got the chance to melee with my shooty outflanking chosen when they took a rhino, rather I had to rely on them taking hits for the army. Most of those cases there was a unit within 12" of the table edge that the rhino denied me the chance. I would have to say I was annoyed by having a rhino with my chosen when I wanted to tie up some guard or fire warriors.

8 man termi squad with 2-3 fists and full combi load out and a hth slanesh army build ?

Nah. Probablly possessed , chosen are still just csm IoS doesnt really help much in hth [as most armies will either have more I anyway , less I anyway or could be overwhelmed without IoS] , possessed at least get higher str and inv.

Chosen can inflitrate, with in Icon of chaos glory, they can call down winged lords, Daemons greater and lessers, oblits, termies, and raptors.

1.set up in cover 18" or out of LoS 12"

2.advance, summon daemons anything else

3.assault with daemons and chosen

4.???????

5 Profit!

Chosen can inflitrate, with in Icon of chaos glory, they can call down winged lords, Daemons greater and lessers, oblits, termies, and raptors.

Icons don't work for standard deepstrike, hence wings and jetpacks will simply deviate.

3 see demons come

5. opponent goes O_O.

You can assault with daemons and chosen at least (if in range).

The problem of chosen beacon tactic is that it's too obvious for the other player. Just shoot at them or even deploy nicely to have maximum line of sight on the battlefield.

You can assault with daemons and chosen at least (if in range).

no you cant because our demons dont have demonic/termiantor/drop pod assault-like rules. they come down turn 2 . this means the chosen have to sit 2 turns alone and then you have a 50% for each unit of demons to actually see one deep strike turn 2.that is why I said to be sure to see a chosen+demon charge turn 2 you would need 3 demon units and a chosen unit that doesnt get countered by your opponent for 1[or 2 if you didnt start] turns .

• 1 month later...

Archived