Drop Pod off the table = ?

thade

The Drop Pod special rule specifies that if the DP lands in impassible terrain or on models then the scatter is reduced just enough so that it doesn't. This really boils down to whether off of the table counts as "Impassable" or "Off the table" (ie, not Impassable).

I do notice that the Deep Strike Mishap rules clearly distinguish between "off the table, in impassable terrain" (p 95), so I'm thinking that if a DP hits the table edge, it (and it's contents) are out of the game.

It's so easy an answer, it's searchable. ;D

I did try searching, but - as is often the case on this site - my search-fu is always an embarrassing failure. >_<

Off the table is never mentioned as being 'impassible terrain' anywhere in the book. Off the table is, off the table. You roll on the mishap chart to see what happens.

That is the conclusion I'm coming to as well. This is causing some (heated) discussion in my club as apparently in 4th edition the BRB referenced Off the Table as Impassable Terrain...however the current rule book (5th) makes no such connection. It does make the aforementioned distinction between them however. Looks like a roll on the mishap table.

To the best of my memory, even in 4E 'off the table' was never referenced as being impassible terrain.

(the only thing that lends any confusion, to the best of my, currently tired, knowledge, to such an argument, is the Orks FAQ telling people to treat it as such for the whole Kareen'ing into the table edge thing. but that is the oly instance of it ever being called impassible)

Yep, misshap- even the ork rule doesnt say its impassable, just that you stop.... and they only get that because it specificly states it.

Your off the table- misshap.

You place it on dangerous terrain and it rolls a hit- misshap.

You place it on an enemy unit and it rolls a hit, or doesnt scatter off them- misshap.

DPs help, but they arent the hand of the emperor himself.

Yep.

Mishap if you scatter off table.

Covered under DS mishaps.

Terminators DS who miss the table get a mishap.

Jump infantry who DS and miss the table get mishap.

Table edge is NOT impassable.

Land in Difficult terrain, take a dangerous terrain test. Roll a 1, off comes the gun (as the result cascades to weapon destroyed for an immobile/immobilised vehicle.).

You place it on dangerous terrain and it rolls a hit- misshap.

You place it on an enemy unit and it rolls a hit, or doesnt scatter off them- misshap.

Difficult/Dangerous terrain isn't a misshap; those result in Dangerous Terrain tests. Impassible terrain would be a misshap.

You cannot place a Deep Striking unit on another unit. You have to place a model on the table and then scatter.

Mycroft

The Drop Pod special rule specifies that if the DP lands in impassible terrain or on models then the scatter is reduced just enough so that it doesn't. This really boils down to whether off of the table counts as "Impassable" or "Off the table" (ie, not Impassable).

I do notice that the Deep Strike Mishap rules clearly distinguish between "off the table, in impassable terrain" (p 95), so I'm thinking that if a DP hits the table edge, it (and it's contents) are out of the game.

Strictly speaking the DPs special rule you mentioned [inertial Guidance System] covers scattering not landing/deploying, and by RAW scattering off the table isn't mentioned.

It seems the issue runs like this:

• Pod deploys [dice is a HIT] on impassable terrain or off the table or on friendly model or on/within 1" of an enemy model = mishap. Clear enough. Note that you can't deploy [HIT result] your pod off the table as you obviously can't aim it there in the first place.

• However if you scatter [ie dice is not a HIT] onto impassable terrain, or on friendly/enemy model = a slight reduction of scatter to miss obstruction. There is nothing RAW here to say that scattering off the table means a mishap.

As the BRB FAQ says: models can't move off the table and that the edge of the table is the end of the World. Seems to me a toss up between losing the pod or reducing scatter to keep it on the table.

Cheers

I

I think (now) that as "off the table" is not classfied as "impassible terrain and friendly or enemy models", then the IGS won't reduce it's scatter, so an off the table result should be a mishap. Chalk this up to yet another thing I'd like to see in an FAQ, but my club has decided to go with the "off the table = mishap" route, at least for now.

Thanks all, for your thoughts.

I think (now) that as "off the table" is not classfied as "impassible terrain and friendly or enemy models", then the IGS won't reduce it's scatter, so an off the table result should be a mishap.

Well the mishap rule doesn't come into play unless you deploy [HIT] your pod straight off the table, which you can't do.

The mishap workaround is the obvious solution here though if all agree :mellow:, though there's a valid argument that the pod should be lost.

Cheers

I

I think (now) that as "off the table" is not classfied as "impassible terrain and friendly or enemy models", then the IGS won't reduce it's scatter, so an off the table result should be a mishap.

Well the mishap rule doesn't come into play unless you deploy [HIT] your pod straight off the table, which you can't do.

The mishap workaround is the obvious solution here though if all agree :D, though there's a valid argument that the pod should be lost.

Cheers

I

What workaround are you talking about. "If any models in a deap striking unit cannot deploy because they would land off the table, in impassible terrain, in impassible terrain, or within 1" of an enemy model, something has gone wrong."

There is no workaround based on deploy(hit) or whatever your trying to say to work with there. If you scatter of the table, roll your misshap, it is the ONLY option without a houserule, which as the official rule forum, we dont deal in.

There is no workaround based on deploy(hit) or whatever your trying to say to work with there. If you scatter of the table, roll your misshap, it is the ONLY option without a houserule, which as the official rule forum, we dont deal in.

But as you can't voluntarily aim to land a pod off the table you can only scatter off it – and that's when the Inertial Guidance system kicks in, and the Inertial Guidance system makes no mention of what happens when scattering off table. I might be reading too much into that of course :P.

But yes, I'm well aware what the OR forum is for thanks :(.

Cheers

I

Inertial guidance does not kick in when you scatter, it kicks in when you scatter INTO impasible terain or a model (freind or foe). It does not kick in when you scatter to a safe spot, or when you scater off the board, it does not kick in when you scatter into difficult/dangerous terrain. Therefore if you scatter off the board it does nothing, and so you roll on the misshap chart.

Hell if your being dickish you can even say it doesnt kick in when your within 1" (but not ontop of) an enemy model and thus you would land within 1" and mishap there. It says to reduce distance the pod must land ontop of the model, it says nothing of the 1" raduis that you cannot enter. Fortuanatly the reduction is enouph to avoid the obsticle which by all acounts should include the 1" radius, however if the pod lands so that it is within the 1" radius but not touching the model casting it, the IGS does not fire off and would by RAW mishap. I doubt anyone will hold you to that litle covet, but it is there.

Archived