Casting Fortune and Perils of the Warp Save

LPetersson

I had a game today where my opponent was casting fortune and failed his perils of the warp test. the power went off anyway, but he failed his invilnerable save and took a wound.

He then wanted to reroll that invul save thanks to fortune.

I said that since the power caused the failed test he couldn't reroll. He did concede it, but we were both curious as to what others would say...

So, would you allow an Eldar player to reroll a failed invul save for perils of the warp when it's the spell they're casting that allows the reroll but also caused the test?

You have to reroll successful saves against perils of the warp.

Fortune allows a reroll to failed saves...

You cant reroll a reroll.

Thus, Fortune cancells out the Reroll in my mind- ie you just roll once, and accept the result.

Edit: Otherwise, yes I would allow them to reroll the wound.

Also note, he took more than a wound- unless he was Eldrad Ulthran, he just insta-killed himself.

@Grey mage: That was last edition. Now, he just takes a wound.

It used to be a S6 wound which would insta-gib most eldar farseers (save eldrad).

Now it's just an automatic wound (re-roll successful save).

If he rolled perils for 'fortune' and passed (ie, snake-eyes) then the power still works.

Fortune allows the re-roll on a failed save.

So roll d6.

Failed save: fortune allows the re-roll. Which cannot be then re-rolled (no re-rolls on re-rolls).

Pass save: and you have to re-roll it (due to perils rule). Fortune doesn't interact here as the roll was not failed.

If he does take the wound, he still gets his ghosthelm roll to avoid it.

Fair enough. Ive yet to have a Perils attack in 5th... only recently started using a Rune Priest, and my Farseers have yet to let me down.

Thanks for the heads up. So then yeah, if he succesffully cast the power a 3+ reroling invulnerable save is his.

Fair enough. Ive yet to have a Perils attack in 5th... only recently started using a Rune Priest, and my Farseers have yet to let me down.

Thanks for the heads up. So then yeah, if he succesffully cast the power a 3+ reroling invulnerable save is his.

;) Actually, it is the fancy re-rolling 4+ rune armor save that you get, which if you fail (after the re-roll) you get the Ghosthelm save.

And the 4th Ed. self-insta-gib hurt Inquisitors (so they too are more viable in 5th, except for us Templars ;) )

If he rolled snakes, then he'd suffer Perils, then the following occurs in order:

- Fortune (or any power for that matter) comes into affect immediately

- First he'd have to fail his Ghosthelm, which on a 3+ negates it (note, this is not a save and thus not affected by Fortune!).

- If he fails that, then he has to roll an invulnerable save. He has to reroll any successful saves from Perils. He'd also reroll any failed save because of Fortune. Thus, you roll one die twice, only accept the second result, and go about your game.

Archived