Anti-Black Legion

Excess Nerd

I currently play daemons but hope to one day have an army that the whole thing doesn't deep strike. Well I finished Horus Rising and am half way through False Gods. I am currently tossing around the idea of a section of Black Legion giving the finger to Abaddon and saying that what he is doing isn't what Horus or the Ruinous Powers want. So obviously any HQ is going to be either a Lord or Sor but i think the chapter would rename itself Luna Wolves and go to a white with silver accent coloring. Any ideas would be welcomed but there is no hurry as I wont have money to buy new figures until next year. Also please dont tell me what happens in later books and ruin things for the story for me.

Thanks

Excess Nerd

PS

also thinking abt using Space wolves so i can get the wolf head for shoulders

What do you really want to do ?

- traitors going turning back to the emperor ?

- traitors just renaming themselves with an ancient legion's name ?

I think it is impossible that a part of the black legion will go back to be Luna Wolves again. Luna wolves will still forever be a loyalist legion's name. And the separation between loyalists and renegades is too neat for renegades to go back and wear the LW name again... Especially after 10.000 years !

Going back to sons of horus name would be easier but still not expected to occur. Black legion from year 40000 is not only composed of former sons of horus. And I don't see black legion members (even former sons) going back to be proud and wear the name/colours of the one who failed and was later cloned by other legions. They would rather kill the boss (or at leadt try...) if they are not happy with him, or create a new renegade warband focusing on its future, not on its past.

There is still another solution to keep heresy time names, but still not Luna wolves.

Instead of making black legion's member go back to a previous name, it would be much easier to imagine a group of sons of horus who have refused to follow Abaddon from the "beginning". I don't know the story very well but they could have for example said that the other traitor legion stole horus's body due to Abaddon's fault.

Then you would have to create 10 millennia of story. I think this is the best solution because you can anchor your "legion"'s story very strongly while having something easier to believe.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Luna_Wolves#Luna_Wolves

Minor resource. They were black and off-white. Like the dark craters on the moon coupled with the off white landscape of the moon. Think "moon landing" when you paint them.

Actually Horus Rising describes them as "pearly-white" which actually fits with the image from the IA article - the darker edges are the reflection of darker surroundings.

The Despoiler was furious with the legion after they retreated from terra and after taking a beating from the other traitor legions during the inter legion wars once they made it to the Eye. He renamed them the Black Legion and i doubt he would tolerate any of them defying his will.

There is still another solution to keep heresy time names, but still not Luna wolves.

Instead of making black legion's member go back to a previous name, it would be much easier to imagine a group of sons of horus who have refused to follow Abaddon from the "beginning".

You can go back one step further, with original Luna Wolves who still follow the Emperor, but weren't part of Horus traitor forces - either they survived Istvaan, or they were lost in the warp jump heading to Istvaan.

This is a great idea. Your splinter faction could consist of Cthonians (the original Luna Wolves planet) unimpressed with abaddon or simply on their own bloody quest for power/whatever..

If you've read vraks IA, you'll notice that the trend in that book was the legions splintering with new factions. IA vraks notes Steel Brethren as Iron Warrior faction.

Go for it.

Dude! Thats a thought I've been having!

Important thing to remember is that Abbadon considers Horus a failure. He no longer wants the Legion associated with Horus in any way.

There are a couple of angles;

Horus was cloned (by Fabius Bile?) and your faction believes Horus to be incarnated. Maybe all the clones were not destroyed?

Maybe some Sons of Horus' loyalty to him is so strong even if he is dead they still consider him their leader. Think about all the other legions with no Primarch present. The Wolves still fight for Russ hoping for the day he returns. The Blood Angels still cry out the name of Sanguinus. The Fists still fight for Dorn, the Hands for Ferrus etc.

The name 'Sons of Horus' is the name and colours that assaulted Terra. The Luna Wolves were always loyal. I don't think a group would go back to Luna Woles colours, more likely stay that of the Sons of Horus.

An interesting thought - Abaddon is actually one of Horus' clones. The rules for Abaddon are damn good, almost Primarch like in stature? Reincarnated Horus leads the Legion to this day and ordered their armour repainted black to forever remind them of their/his failure. Only when the emperor is defeated may they call themselves the Sons of Horus once more.

Suppose you'd have to come up with a way to get rid of the real Abaddon. Meh. He was possesed by Horus' soul?

I love a good conspiracy lol.

Peace

Important thing to remember is that Abbadon considers Horus a failure. He no longer wants the Legion associated with Horus in any way.

Sorces plz (other then the one "Horus was weak, Hourus was a fool" quote from the one dex ?

If abby considers Horus a failure and no longer wants the legion associated with him in any way, why is the legions symbol still the eye of Horus ???

Thanks everyone for the ideas of story and painting. My only problem is i hate the name Sons of Horus b/c that was a title of members of Luna Wolves that had huge physical similarities to Horus himself. Also does anyone know if Horus has another part to his name b/c even Abaddon has a first name of Ezekyle

Sorces plz (other then the one "Horus was weak, Hourus was a fool" quote from the one dex ?

If abby considers Horus a failure and no longer wants the legion associated with him in any way, why is the legions symbol still the eye of Horus ???

I would like to see sources for that as well. My understanding was that Abbaddon only distanced himself from Horus because he felt compelled to not because he actually thought it especially since he didn't remove the Eye of Horus from the Heraldry.

Yeah, Lupercal has deffinately been used so that it looks like his last name "Horus Lupercal".

And there were scenes where the LW's/SoH's were shouting "Lupercal... Lupercal...Lupercal"

It is true that today miltary titles and ranks are followed by last name, but that was not always the case. Back in history, miltary leaders, generals, knights and even kings were known by first name.

Lupercal could also be an informal title like "the hammer" or "the great"

My only problem is i hate the name Sons of Horus b/c that was a title of members of Luna Wolves that had huge physical similarities to Horus himself.

You're off here Excess, everyone that was a LW became a SoH when they changed the name of the Legion, not just the ones with huge physical similarities, all of them, everry last one, not just those who looked like him, that had absolutely nothing to do w/ it..

Not sure where you got that.

Well in one of the Heresy books I think it is the first one they are talking about the guys in the LW who look a lot like Horus and they call them Sons of Horus. I think he got it from there but that has nothing to do with the renaming of the Legion ofcourse, they switched name for another reason.

You're off here Excess, everyone that was a LW became a SoH when they changed the name of the Legion, not just the ones with huge physical similarities, all of them, everry last one, not just those who looked like him, that had absolutely nothing to do w/ it..

Not sure where you got that.

Thats his point, according to Horus Rising "Sons of Horus" was a nickname for those who physically resembled their primarch and were apparently treated with favouritism and therefor he dislikes that they then used the term to cover everyone.

Thats his point, according to Horus Rising "Sons of Horus" was a nickname for those who physically resembled their primarch and were apparently treated with favouritism and therefor he dislikes that they then used the term to cover everyone.

And then the "disliked" ones were sent to Istvaan 3.

Archived