Two yellow marines

Kaldoth

Well, I decided to test out my hand at painting yellow today. I picked up some P3 yellow ink and painted up two test minis. They are both primed white, but one is painted slightly different than the other. The one on the right is done with a full inking of yellow, and then washed with a mixture of 2:1:1 wash of p3 yellow, sepia wash, and water. The one on the left is yellow ink and then washed with straight sepia from the pot. The right one is a bit more subtle, but the one on the left gives it a dirtier effect.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/Kaldoth/IMG_0530.jpg

Just wondering which one everyone likes better :D Any tips would be appreciated too!

Cheers,

-Kal

Left has more depth but the right is cleaner, so it depends if you want to paint your marines grubby or factory fresh. Personaly Grubby is my favorite, add some battle damage and some highlights and the model could look sweet. Congrats on painting smoothly withone of the most notoriously difficult colours.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

I'm a fan of grubby, battle damaged marines, so I may just stick with the lefthand design.

@ Jester: Actually, I found yellow to be an incredibly easy color to paint. It's all about the technique you use. Some people like to build up from a brown and go all the way to yellow with a kerbilliondy-eleven coats of paint. I'm lazy :P I tried to find the most shortcut but effective way to paint yellow, and I was actually surprised it turned out so well. The problem with yellow is that it is so transparent. The slightest difference in color in one area of a model compared to another can drastically change how the yellow turns out. If I took some shots of the side armor, you'd see this plainly on these figures. Some of the areas that I primed white didn't fully cover the gray plastic of the model. Because of this, the yellow ended up darker in those areas. If anyone is going to attempt to paint yellow with this method, my advice is make sure your primer is the same color all around ;) As long as you prime evenly, you can slap the ink on there with reckless abandon and it will (generally, as long as you don't let it pool) turn out pretty nice :tu:

Cheers,

-Kal

Archived