Chaos Undivided builds

Midgard

As I am currently looking to start a Chaos Undivided force, it seems to me that with Chaos, it may make sense to build it around HQ character with special abilities. Although I am yet to get the Codex, I have a basic idea of what each of the characters does, but am not quite yet decided on which character, if any, I should built it around. I have asked about the Chaos Legion force to choose here earlier, and think that I am mostly decided on that (see below), but if HQ suggestions do point at a different force from my initial choice, I would be quite willing to reconsider.

I am not looking for an uber-beardy-cheesy-power-gaming list, but would like it to remain at least somewhat competitive - not necessarily tournament quality, but for the list to remain fun on the tabletop, and for it to work with storyline campaigns. Right now, I am thinking Alpha Legion, although the Black Legion and the Iron Warriors remain secondary possibilities; Night Lords are another army I like, but I think they would play too similar to my Raven Guard due to reliance on many of the same tactics. Although I like the Thousand Sons fluff, I don't want to have a single-god army, so they are clearly out; the Word Bearers are yet another possibility.

I would like to maintain a balance between shooty and CC army, and while I realize it will not be the most powerful Chaos force out there by any means, it should still be reasonably fun to play. I do want to avoid the Plague Marines - I am just not a Nurgle fan, and for my Troops choices, I would much rather stick with traditional Chaos Space Marines; I feel it is more "fluffy" for what I am trying to do, and I would like to keep at least some adherence to fluff.

So, which HQ characters would you suggest, and why? I could naturally have a "counts-as" Abaddon, or even a "counts-as" Ahriman (after all, AL was known to use sorcerers, if DOW is any indication - providing it is considered canon to at least some extent), but would I be better served by a "nameless" Chaos Lord/Sorcerer, especially in keeping with a theme of an Alpha Legion army? Of course, if I were to have a change of heart and decide to play the Black Legion, Abaddon is pretty much a given, but what would I do in an Iron Warriors scenario? What kind of an HQ character would fit with the Word Bearers army?

As always, any input is highly appreciated!

I've found either a lord with a daemon weapon or Huron in "count-as" form to work just fine like this. Huron especially provides punch to a 9 man CSM squad in a rhino as a replacement aspiring champ. I've also seen a Bile force to be effective and fun.

I agree with Huron Blackheart.

With a heavyflamer, power weapon, power fist and warptime, he can takel almost anything. He is 170 points.

I always run him in a squad with a flamer and powerfist weilding aspiring Champion, to date i belive he has killed a fire prism, a farseer, 2 dark reapers (including an Exarch) and bout 8 guardians. All in within 2 turns.

He is a good deal IMO

just my thoughts!

tootaloo

it may make sense to build it around HQ character with special abilities.

Actually most good csm armies are really built (mostly) around troops ( boring, over done, dual lash spam being the exception).

HQ is almost there in a supporting roll...that's the way I see it anyway.

I agree w/ the others that blackheart is the only special I would consider solid, but his lack of flight makes me not use him.

Khârn might be good for a goof, but I wouldn't build an army around him. Abby is awesome but very expensive and needs a LR.

None of the others are really worth considering (except for fluff reasons).

Most people just build their own lord, sorc, or DP (wings always).

Good points all, thank you for your input! By the way, I have failed to mention that at this point I am looking at roughly 1,000 point force build, which can be later expanded, and I would like to keep it more "fluffy" than competitive - from this perspective, if I am to do an Alpha Legion force, "counts-as" Huron might be the fluffiest choice HQ, unless I build it around my own Chaos Lord or Sorcerer. Would you think it is a reasonable choice in terms of point cost, abilities, and utility on the tabletop?

hrm.... The most I can do is this:

Huron- power weapon, power fist, warptime, heavy flamer, familiar, and a personal icon all for 170

regular chaos lord 90pts- power weapon 15 pts, power fist 25 pts, (only one or the other) personal icon 5 pts

the lord can not take a heavy flamer or warptime, if he could.... the final points cost would be roughly 185 pts or so.

the sorcerer can take warptime and a familiar, but no power fist, no power weapon, no heavy flamer.

demon prince can take warptime, his strength is higher, can take wings, for about 155 to 160 and no one can take armor saves against his attacks. but is a very large target.

if your HQ eats up too much points in your list..... I would go with the sorcerer.

but in terms of points .... I think Huron is a good buy

Archived