Golden Bolter WIPs (motvation)

TheOtakuGundam

Right now i am gonna enter the single and squad categories and possibly the vehicle category. First real paint contest, my only other was a 1-hour paint contest. here are my ideas:

Single model:

Sicarius

Telion

My grey knights grand master

Single squad:

Grey knights squad

Sternguard (w/ sicarius)

Terminator squad.

Vehicle (not sure if im gonna do this one)

A dreadnought (i have 3) /ironclad

Land raider

Rhino

any C&C welcome

Strip all that paint and hand undercoat him black.

Ah, a member of the Cult of Black Primer! Hail, brother!

The debate between the Cults of White and Black primers are always great. :D

As for actual feedback, it's a little early to tell. ICB is onto somrhting though. You're going to want to give him a wash or some shading in a darker color blue, to make the recesses pop. But, a true verdict has to wait til you've got some more work done on him.

thanks for the tips, iv'e never really washed a model before, but this is my "learning" model. for a wash you take a darker shade of the basecoat and water it down or use a (gw) ink/wash in the recesses of the basecoat right?

for the undercoat, i usually basecoat black but my regular marines have white armour, so i tried white at the suggestion of one of the veterans of my gaming club and it has worked out pretty well.

Ah, Nate, I have taught you so well... Yes, I would agree (there's a joke about me that if I was to paint a White Scars army, I'd undercoat it black). Black just seems to deepen the shades and, since highlighting is what I prefer to do, it lends a glowy look to your finished product. And I'd suggest painting the undercoat by hand, not with primer. It is worth it in the end.

It ain't the "Grim DARKness of the far future" for nothing, after all

White only really works for a undercoat if you intend to use a very wet palette. Watered down paints, inks and washes. The idea is that the colour is brought alive by the undercoat. But if you are just layering, then a black undercoat is good enough, and saves time. As for painting white on black, two golden words; FORTRESS GREY.

Ah, Nate, I have taught you so well... Yes, I would agree (there's a joke about me that if I was to paint a White Scars army, I'd undercoat it black). Black just seems to deepen the shades and, since highlighting is what I prefer to do, it lends a glowy look to your finished product. And I'd suggest painting the undercoat by hand, not with primer. It is worth it in the end.

It ain't the "Grim DARKness of the far future" for nothing, after all

Yeah, the undercoat is the only good part of my painting :P

or you can just do that manually while mixing colours.....

black does affect colour but it changes how you have to paint, its a different way to painting than over white

please dont start the black vs white debates....its already quite clear what they both do....

hand priming is not really a big deal....spray primers work fine, if you find GWs now sucks, try P3s, itts very good

Alex

or you can just do that manually while mixing colours.....

black does affect colour but it changes how you have to paint, its a different way to painting than over white

please dont start the black vs white debates....its already quite clear what they both do....

hand priming is not really a big deal....spray primers work fine, if you find GWs now sucks, try P3s, itts very good

Alex

Or you can try Duplicolor sandable primers. Same thing as the P3 stuff but about 1/2 the price. Get it at Kragen, Autozone, or Pep Boys

Archived