Full squads of CSM

I wouldn't do 20 guys w/ an icon. One roll of 11 for a Ld check and the whole squad is gone, who wants that?

Now 20 bezerkers or plague marines. That I could see a little better. I've got a friend who occasionaly runs a 16 man zerker squad, and it does fairly well. He does it becaue after many games he found he had 2 8 man squads normally going for the same target, 1 16 man squad saved him a kill point.

Mass plague marines in big squads is something I've considered as an experiment army w/ very few kill points.

Yeah if you're going to use a squad of 15+ Marines, I think its even more important that you bring IoCG along because you're not Fearless.

That being said, I think it has some use in games like Planetstrike, where you could physically surround an objective or stretch a line across the board.

I've asked similar questions in the past and the return question is always the same

"When is 1 squad of 20 better then 2 squads of 10?"

I have yet to come up with a strong answer to that.

A guy in my gameing group tried the big squads of csm's for awhile, I don't think 20, maybe 15 or so. The last time he used them against me, the huge squad had to go through a pass between 2 pieces of terrain. I rushed a empty rino up blocking the pass and popped smk. the whole huge squad was blocked in, he failed to destroy it his next turn with shooting or PF b/c it had moved 12" and popped smk. His next turn he destroied it but failed to get vehicle explodes. The 3rd turn (which was 4th game turn) he finally got vehicle explodes, but then had to move a huge squad through difficult terrain. I dropped a few plaz cannon templates on them while they were bunched up like sardines (as Drudge sz, a squad that big is almost impossible to miss with templates). He spent at least another turn (maybe 2) pulling that squad through diff terrain. By then the game was over and I had won, his huge squad was made useless by a 50 pt rino. :)

That was the last time he used a huge squad like that against me. I had done stuff like that to his huge squads b4 but never that bad. But even making a squad that size go around a rino in relatitively open board can slow them down alot. And mech squads can

always (usually) avoid them, until they are shot up or out numbered by multiple squads. Squads that big are really just too easy slow and easily countered, and hard to miss w/ templates.

I'm not saying don't try it, I try lots of stuff just to keep things interesting or try it out. Just some stuff to look out for that's all.

*marching them up behind a LR might help.?

Actually, now that you mention it Chillin. I did almost the exact same thing to my friend's 16 man zerker squad. But mine was slightly worse.... I have 5 rhinos. I moved 1, he failed to destroy it, next turn moved that 1 12" away, moved another over 6" into the same gap.... so could only hit on 6s again. He immobalised that one :) , next turn destroyed it.... so I drove 2 more rhinos up and made a backwards V, forcing him to destroy one of them as well if he wanted through. My army killed the rest of his army and then came around from behind(in the other rhinos of course) the terrain to kill off the remaining squad. So they 'never' got through that gap.

I tried this a while ago, think it was a 20 Chaos Marines, got stuck in difficult terrain and got shot to death. Never did it again after that, and it really did seem like a waste to have 20 guys and only 2 special weapons when I could have had 4. Wish I could have your attitude chillin, I can barely ever get a game nowadays, there's almost no 40k community where I live and the one best friend that loved 40k just as much as me is in Iraq atm. Man I can't wait for him to get back so we can have some epic battles, in the mean time I gotta get my other buds off their butts and playin some 40k instead of fantasy lol.

I moved 1, he failed to destroy it, next turn moved that 1 12" away, moved another over 6" into the same gap.... so could only hit on 6s again. He immobalised that one :lol: , next turn destroyed it.... so I drove 2 more rhinos up and made a backwards V, forcing him to destroy one of them So they 'never' got through that gap.

Brilliant !!

Sometimes I envy tau and eldar transports being fast skimmers and firing 2+ hvy weops even if they moved. But then I'm reminded of how cheap/useful rinos are.

II can barely ever get a game nowadays, there's almost no 40k community where I live and the one best friend that loved 40k just as much as me is in Iraq atm.

I gotta get my other buds off their butts and playin some 40k instead of fantasy

I (and everyone I know) hope you friend gets home soon and safe. Thank him for his service.

If you friends are anything like me and my friends, once they try 40k, they will never go back to fantasy.

Get a squad of 20. Give them a rhino. Use the rhino to give them obscure saves since they will be shot at, and not the rhino.

I have used 80csm armies before. My favorite list was a unit of nurgle icon raptors full 20, fist and 2 meltas. Unit of possessed (for reasons known only to me for now) with icon of khorne. Two units of troops, varying choices but it had these benefits and drawbacks.

Lash/Dark Eldar vehicle thing(forgot the name), entire unit affecting things such as doom for eldar and so on.

5 Killpoints. Put up 40 marines and deep striking 20 raptors in dawn of war scenario. Using the possessed to screen the rest of the force for 4+ cover saves and 5+ inv saves on the possessed. Lash sorcerer made raptors hold the enemy during the first turn so the other 60 could make it there easier. It was a bash slash force that really hammered opponents. It was fun being able to assault in large waves, and when someone would charge a unit the many models piling into the enemy was priceless.

Having 80 attacks with the possessed wasn't too bad either. Was severely tempted to turn the whole army khorne but I stopped testing the list and went with other options after finding something that derailed a main tactic with it. (See footslogging in my link, the whole discussion)

I (and everyone I know) hope you friend gets home soon and safe. Thank him for his service.

If you friends are anything like me and my friends, once they try 40k, they will never go back to fantasy

I just started a tomb kings army for fantasy and i agree 40k is way more simple and way more fun

Archived