Help in finding an Undivided Legion...

Madness Driven

Been doing a lot of research. I don't want to make a legion that is blessed by one Chaos god. Outside of Black Legion, Alpha Legion, Red Corsairs (maybe...) are there any legions that would field 1 or 2 cult choices and still be considered fluffy?

To start my CSM force, I have: 1 battleforce, 1 additional box of CSMs, 2 Oblits, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 box each of bloodletters and daemonettes (to use as lesser daemons), and another Rhino. Oh, and I got that terminator lord/sorceror kit.

I know I can shoehorn anything into any legion to fit some sort of fluff. I don't want to be restricted to one god, but I can't seem to find a legion that would readily take cult troop choices. I was thinking Dragon Warriors, as they seem to relish CC and meltas/flamers, but to me, it's just "Salamanders II" and seemed rather bland. I like psykers and the fluff behind sorcerers, and I like daemons of all sorts. And since I am the kind of guy that HAS to have fluff in his army builds, I am struggling to find the right legion to fit this altogether. I know I can just make my own, but I like to use a recognizable army if I can.

Anyway, sorry if I have rambled a bit - this is my first post. I'm also relatively new to 40K, as I have only "test driven" other's armies such as Necron, BL CSMs, and SWs. CSMs just take the cake for me...

P.S. Been lurking for months and I gotta say, you guys give a lot of great advice.

if you like lots of deamons and sorcerors you could try the word bearers, they love chaos.

or of course the MIGHTY alpha legion, as they will use any thing they want to :)

LOL though we don't tend to use a lot of cult troops.

if you like lots of deamons and sorcerors you could try the word bearers, they love chaos.

or of course the MIGHTY alpha legion, as they will use any thing they want to :)

How did I miss the Word Bearers??? I think I was confusing them with World Eaters... I'll have to read up on these guys.

I'm going to add the Night Lords to the list. I know a lot of folks are going to argue against it, and that's fine. I take my cue from the Index Astartes (or WD259 for the individual article if you prefer) write up detailing the NLs, and it clearly states that they would fight side by side with the cult legions as long as it serves their purpose.

And since I am the kind of guy that HAS to have fluff in his army builds, I like to use a recognizable army if I can.

Congrats on that, so do I :)

- As you say BL can use 1, 2, or more (wouldn't recommend it) cult choices, sorc's and daemons totally fluffy (I'm a BIG BL fanboy, love the fluff).

- According to IA and C:csm 3.5 AL uses NO cult troops ( I don't think the worship chaos gods per se).

- RC's, I think you can use any cult troops you want, sorc's and daemons, kinda like BL.

- IW's can have brzrkrs (IA and C:csm 3.5). And I HATE "counts as" but IW's modeled up with "storm shields", x armor and/or bionics, I have no problem with. Maybe that makes me a hypocrit, I don't know, but IW's with bionics is supported in the honsou series and if any chaos army was going to develope "storm shields" it would be IW's.

- WB's - again maybe this makes me a hypocrit, picking and choosing what I think can be "counts as" (OMG I hate that word, b/c it usually = cheez), but I have no problem with WB's players using "brzrkrs" to represent, uber fanatics, the most zeolous of the zeolots or possessed (b/c possessed are overpriced to have such screwed up rules).

- NL's - no cult troops

If you like sorc and daemons, WB's might be for you. In the dark apostle and dark disciple books, the DA was not a sorc, but had some very "sorc like" abilities, glimpes of the future, summoning daemons, messages from the gods, etc. And they also used sorc's. So you could use 2 sorc's, 1 as DA and 1 as proper sorc (or a chaos lord (as DA) and a sorc). You can only use brzrks as far as cult troops and remain fluffy (IMO).

Of course BL and RC can have 2+ cult troops, sorc's and daemons and by totally fluffy.

But, I'm a BL player, and can use all the cult troops I want and stay fluffy, but never use more then 1 type, b/c using multiple cult troops makes your army smaller, and most cult troops don't really wk that well together (the exception being PM's and brzrkrs, but you would have a very hard time conviencing me that PM & brzrkrs were better over all then csm's w/ brzrkrs or csm's w/ PM's). So I really wouldn't worry too much about trying to use more then 1 kind of cult troop w/ your csm. After all csm's are one of the most versatile, best over all around troops in the game.

IMO that brings it to:

BL or RC's- csm's + any cult troops you want, daemons and sorc's totally fluffy

IW's- csm's & brzrkrs + "PM's", sorc's fine, daemons ok IMO.

WB's- csm's & "brzrkrs" (IMO), sorc's fine, daemons very fluffy.

* of these, consider the fluff and paint scheme you like best, that will make you the most happy w/ your choice.

Your right, the guys here give great advice.

Welcome to chaos and the B&C

Everything I've every read (including IA, C:csm 3.5 and "legion" novel), sz AL uses no cult troops. If I've missed somethig, that's kool, let me know your source.

Most players don't know as much about BL/SoH/LW's fluff as I do (including most BL players), it's totally possible that an AL player knows about a source or bit of fluff that I do not.

Everything I've every read (including IA, C:csm 3.5 and "legion" novel), sz AL uses no cult troops. If I've missed somethig, that's kool, let me know your source.

Most players don't know as much about BL/SoH/LW's fluff as I do (including most BL players), it's totally possible that an AL player knows about a source or bit of fluff that I do not.

i think you may be thinking of the reference to deamons. as far as the fluff goes it states the alpha legion will use any and all means necacary to achive there goals, that to me means if i can bribe/convince a unit of noise marines to help me anihilate a few corpse god lovers then i will.

Yes, you might bribe/convience a unit of NM's (or any other cult unit) to help you. But that will not make them AL. You saying that

you will bribe/convience cult troops to help you does not mean it has any bases if actual fluff (which it does not)

AL will use and disguard people/units as they see fit, and use any /all means. But it states quite clearly in IA and C:csm 3.5 that AL uses NO cult troops. "AL stayed quite distinct from other traitor legions" (C:csm 3.5)

A WE's player could say that he bribe/convienced some Nm's to help him, that does not make it anymore fluffy.

Pretty much all of the 4 undivided can include some allied units of the Cult Legions. In those cases the cult units are not members of the Legion, but merely allied units from a different Legion. Especially World Eater berserkers and Emperor's Children Noise Marines often work as mercenaries for other Legion's warbands.

Alpha Legion:

Alpharius's doctrine was to attack the enemy in as many ways as possible, all at the same time. How this axiom manifested in practice varied depending on the scale and location of the conflict. Tactics confirmed as having been employed by the Alpha Legion include (...long list...) and alliances with anti-imperial military forces including other Traitor Legions and Aliens. Generally, a number of these tactics will be employed in careful coordination, often resulting in labyrinth secret plots.

Index Astartes Alpha Legion, Combat Doctrine

Night Lords:

Night Lords are exceptionally versatile in their use of the forces of Chaos, employing the hell-spawned powers of each of the major Chaos deities with equal favour. It is just as likely that the Night Lords will be seen fighting alongside a group of foul Plague Marines as it is at the warriors of the Thousand Sons. However, it has been ascertained that the Night Lords have nothing but scorn for faith in all its forms, whether it be the fanatical bloodlust of the Khornate Berzerker of the devotion of the Imperial creed. The only authority they recognise is that of temporal power and material wealth.

Index Astartes Night Lords, Beliefs

Word bearers:

Their Index Astartes does not mention allied forces in particular, but according to their organisation they are open for almost all kinds of formations.

The various warbands of the Word Bearers, known as Hosts, are scattered throughout the Eye of terror and the Maelstrom, each led by a mighty champion known as a Dark Apostle (...)

Each Host varies enormeously in size, ranging from the equivalent of a Space marine Battle Company to a rare few that almost equal a Chapter in size. The organisational make-up of each Host differs widely as well, and can change depending on the whims of the Dark Apostle that leads it. Often they will suddenly alter the hierarchy of their Host for no reasons known only to themselves. The reason for these changes has continued to baffle Imperial tacticians, as they often result in unwieldy or tactically inflexible formations that appear to have no battlefield precedence. The Word bearers themselves accept these changes without question and non dare question the Dark Apostle's methods.

Index Astartes Word bearers, Organisation

So it seems that if the Dark Apostle decrees that they will fight with some mercenary Berserkers or Noise Marines, the Host will obey without questions.

Iron Warriors:

They are the only ones where one should perhaps stay away from cult units. In the Index Astartes article series they were the only undivided Legion (not minding BL) that had their own cult unit. They were allowed a limited number of Khorne Berserker units (0-1 to be precise). In the 3.5 Codex the cult choice was removed, and the Iron Warriors have been described as rarely allying with the other Legions.

Archived