Siege Shield Ideas

Epididymidis

Some time ago I started building and painting a Vindicator - awesome model by the way. :lol:

I wanted to do something special with the huge siege shield and decided that it has to be something funny... or at least something some immature dudes would consider entertaining. :D

Well, at first I came up with this.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6724/schaufelsuckhorizx.jpg

The Arm is magnetized a will probably be painted in Ultramarines Blue. ;)

But somehow I don't like how it came out - it used to looked in my head. Still, I want to keep the evil-marine-annoys-the-mighty-vindicator-and-gets-overrun-idea but maybe I'll try a different 'grafitty'.

Maybe something like this?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4188/schaufelsmiliex.jpg

Or this?

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4194/schaufelpeacex.jpg

Or just a different angle?

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4336/schaufelsuckdiagx.jpg

What do you think?

Any further ideas highly appreciated.

I think you shouldn't do something like that at all, but that's personal preference. I just think that 40k can be fun, but Space Marines can't.

If you want comedy marines, you should go totally crazy and make your whole army to fit with a certain theme (like Hello Kitty marines or something).

Small not-so-funny-actually details like that just don't work with the whole setting and certainly not with Marines, and just look like half-baked attempts to scrounge some laughs.

This seems more fitting with Orkz.

i, on the other hand, totally disagree with cathar. the 40k universe is what you make it. if you want to have you marines accidentally running each other over, thats fine. heck, i am even ok with female space marines (all you haters can just back off).

as far as your conversion goes i would have a close look at some grafiti around your city and have a look at how the paint spreads as the paint hits the wall. the spatter you have in the first pic is good - but too large. pay particular attention to the work of taggers (wastrels one and all). their work tends to be far more hasty and so the spatter is more pronounced (and in this case, apropriate).

good luck :D

I think you shouldn't do something like that at all, but that's personal preference. I just think that 40k can be fun, but Space Marines can't.

If you want comedy marines, you should go totally crazy and make your whole army to fit with a certain theme (like Hello Kitty marines or something).

Small not-so-funny-actually details like that just don't work with the whole setting and certainly not with Marines, and just look like half-baked attempts to scrounge some laughs.

This seems more fitting with Orkz.

Hmmm in all honesty you couldnt be more wrong in my oppinion. I dont know how many people saw it but in warhammer world the heart and soul of 40k, they had a gigantic diorama of the seige of terra. They had two warlord titans and massive foces holding the gates. There was so much detail in the whole thing it would have taken me forever to see them all. BUT one thing I did notice were 3 tiney little milk bottles outside the emperors palace gates. It had me in hysterics.

There is room for humour in 40k otherwise it becomes the same repetative garbage over and over and little subtle details like that are great fun. Which for one is why i think Orks fit into 40k so well they are the comic releif.

I do agree that a spcae marines arm dosnt reall work, mabey he is right that marines are a bit too serious, personaly I would try a gretchin/grot arm or something similar, or some othjer race mabey the joke would work better. However I put my hot sister of battle rideing a bomb onto the side of my thunderhawk for the same comedy effect, people laugh so marines can be funny.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/GETSOME-2-1.jpg

Or why not just go for a regular human arm and put like hippy bands on it and use you peace symbol, its sort of social commentary for the whole 40k universe and is kinda deep aswell as funny.

As for the splatter try makeing ti finer, and make the drips different lengths. Ill try find an example.

I dont know how many people saw it but in warhammer world the heart and soul of 40k, they had a gigantic diorama of the seige of terra. They had two warlord titans and massive foces holding the gates. There was so much detail in the whole thing it would have taken me forever to see them all. BUT one thing I did notice were 3 tiney little milk bottles outside the emperors palace gates. It had me in hysterics.

That's a very different thing. I didn't say there was no humor allowed in 40k. Only reading through your post and thinking how that diorama would look like made me giggle a little.

So unlike the OP's ideas, it is actually a funny thing, not schoolboy funny.

I think that in 40k, you can do anything, as long as you do it in style. Once you drop to a level where you have Space Marines with sunglasses or random graffiti on a tank of soldiers known for how high they value their colors and composure, it gets silly.

But as I said, it is a matter of personal preference. Every one values the hobby in a different way. I like the sinister setting of 40k, with all its grim-dark and over-sized gothic weapons, and a paint-job like that on a Vindicator would just ruin the game for me.

Well....maybe Space Wolves........

the yellow would be urine then, would it not?

@ OP: have you considered hazard stripes with 'danger' stenciled under the cannon? its serious, but sort of funny, and is a theme that can be applied to an army.

For Cathar the Great:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *collapse on floor unconscious from lack of oxygen*

As for the Siege Shield I agree with the idea of a Blood Claw or Ork arm with DEATH OR GLORY as the phrase. :mellow: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For Cathar the Great:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

O

O

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *collapse on floor unconscious from lack of oxygen*

Oo

So this is what happened to discussion culture.

Marines in RT had a lot of graffiti on them, it doesn't wholly fit the current general background for them but that's fine. I just saw a thread where this guy used Tau bitz on his infantry and tanks, it doesn't really fit with established but it still looks quite nice.

I think it's all a matter of context. If you just take an Ultramarine tank (for example) and add graffiti to it that detail might look out of place, but in a more RT or modern military inspired force it might just look better.

I think everybody is missing the point here.

It's not supposed to be "marine-esque." It's supposed to be silly. Bringing up the point of "this is too silly for SRS BZNZ Spehs Mareenz" is completely irrelevant. The poster didn't ask if you thought it was "too silly" for Space Marines, he asked for further ideas.

Anyway, I personally like the "You Suck" at an angle at the end of the post. I think that would do the trick. What chapter are these guys going to be? If they're loyalists, maybe replacing the arm with a Chaos Marine arm? Or vice versa? Can't wait to see it done :)

Cheers,

-Kal

Edit: I like the Death or Glory idea :D Made me chuckle. You could also write "Castle Aaaarrrgh" on it for a monty python reference ;)

well, i like it, even if it is not "fluffy"^^

its kinda funny and it adds a small story to the tank.

i personally prefer the first thing you tried, but its just my opinion.

in addition to that i think its painted nice, i could never paint something so small and so clean^^

Archived