Does the model's base count for LOS?

melabi

Would the base the model is on count as its body when checking for LOS??

I think I read it somewhere that LOS would check for 'the leg' 'the torso' 'and the base'

I know it doesn't make sense,

but then again, if the base isn't the part of the model, the model is like, walking on air??

I tried searching, but this must to be a too basic question to find a definite answer..

I would really appreciate it if someone clear out the cover save issue.

Thanks for your answers!

The Line of Sight rules are on page 16 of the rulebook. To have LOS to a model you must see the "body" of the model, which is specified as the head, torso, legs and arms. Extensions such as weapons, antennas or banners are specifically given as examples of elements that cannot be targeted. If all you can see of the Space Marine Sergeant is the banner, you do not have LOS to shoot at him. If you see his arm sticking oiut, you hav LOS. I don't think anyone would count a model's base as part of it's "body".

The base comes under the same umbrella as useless decoration-only banners, poles, spikes and the like, in that a model shouldn't be punished for its decoration, whether it's an enormous base or a massive flagpole. As Legatus said, it's all about the body.

I believe the phrase "can't take their cover with them" was written too. Don't have a BRB to quote from at the moment.

Yes, essentialy if something on a model cannot be shot, then it CAN be ignored completely. If all you can see of a model is the banner you cant shoot the baner, but if you CAN trace LOS through the banner and shoot something behind it without the banner giveing a cover save. It is as if decorational bits do not exist at all (Its a good idea to keep a "blank" model with no decoration bits that you can replace the cool model with when traceing LOS. Doesnt come up much but it does come up)

Archived