Weapon options for 5 man tac squads

Mr_I_am_Hungry

Ok, I searched and got nothing. So here goes. I'm going to posit some things and would like if someone could explain as I just don't get it.

If I can have this;

Tac Squad

-10 marines w/ Flamer and ML and Sarg w/ PF

and combat squad them into this

-5 marines w/ Flamer

-5 marines w/ ML and sarg w/ PF

why can't I have this

1 -10 man squad

combat squaded as above

and

1 -5 man squad w/ Flamer or ML?

Thanks for any replies.

Because that's what the rules say.

If you want 5 man squads with any special or heavies, you must buy a 10 man squad an CS them.

The SM are tradition bound by a 10,000 year old musty book called the Codex Astartes. Fanatical devotion does not lend itself to free thought.

Because that's what the rules say.

If you want 5 man squads with any special or heavies, you must buy a 10 man squad an CS them.

The SM are tradition bound by a 10,000 year old musty book called the Codex Astartes. Fanatical devotion does not lend itself to free thought.

That's why divergent chapters rule! Space Wolves don't appreciate the book, to them it's pretty much bog material.

But yes, a book written by quite a smart chap Guilliman (Spelling?) who realised after the Horus Heresy that things had to change and squad size was one of the many things he instructed marines to stick to, considering a squad of ten men is much more effective than five they're allowed weapons because they have the right numbers.

Now from a game view its likely it came around from people abusing 5/6 man squads with lascannon and plasma gun as this was a popular combination back then, cheap able to fit into a razorback and deadly, not to mention you could take six in a standard game. I would have liked codex marines to choose one weapon at five men (perhaps restrict what it can be) and have the option for both at ten men.

Archived