Putting my paint where my mouth is - sword brethren

Brother Loring

I'd say that the purple works provided you don't go over the top with it, and it's more complimentary than contrasty with purple and red, making the model feel...warmer I'd guess. So long as you keep it dark, i dont think it would detract at all for the model.

What I do for my reds is to base with dark flesh and build up using blood red in increased gradient levels. To create a smoother blend I'll add red ink into the mix, and to find the deepest recesses I'll add in brown ink. Also realize my paint brand choice is primarily Vallejo Game Color.

gallery_317_2889_22499.jpg

A very dark red:

gallery_317_2935_7147.jpg

I have better examples that aren't photo'd yet but I think these pics will give a good enough idea.

What you have done so far is still very deep and realistic. Its a nice style. :lol:

@Decadent - Thanks for the reply, a lot of people have said the purpleyness on the black is a bit too Blood Angels, so I think I'm going to have to black and grey it out a little. I do want to keep some warmth though!

@Master Toddius - First of all I want to say they are some very nicely painted marines. Unfortunately I wasn't look for the reds (yet)! I'm trying to get a nice ornate black, but I will definitely keep that advice in mind when doing my reds. I usually start at red gore and lighten, but I think I'll give your method a go!

Once again thanks guys!

I don't think he looks very black templary, he looks like he has bronze armor. If you darkened it up a little (a lot) it would look more templarish (IMO). Right now... I don't know, if you painted up a whole guy that way I'd be able to say more, but right now i can't really tell if the end result would look black enough.

@Verpine You are my hero - well sort of! I'm going for bronze armour, but unfortunately, I'm going for more of a black painted/oiled/lacquered bronze so it's black with a bit of bronze showing through in highlights (rather than boring grey), rather than just looking like he's wearing brass plate. I'm gonna have a bit more of a think before just reaching for more black, but I think in reality it might be my only solution!

Thank you again!

I like the armor the way it is. The "black" on and immediatly surrounding the red shoulderpads look fantastic and seem very black. The legs on the other hand seem too purple, I know they are painted with the same formula, but the contrast is what makes it seem black. I think black needs some of the surrounding color in its highlights to look its best, paint the rest of the mini before changing anything. My 2 cents.

first time looking through this thread and I applaud your patience at having a go at glazing and building up blended colours, the mini's look as though they're coming along really nicely and I think credit is also due to Starks and Toddius for giving you some really excellent and helpful advice and tips! It's nice to see the experts helping out :D Nice one all!

Just posting some results after I got some advice from one of the 'veterans'!

gallery_46358_4159_2220830.jpg

gallery_46358_4159_1044286.jpg

Also trying some true non-black-black as per recommendations!

gallery_46358_4159_157361.jpg

Even this little bit is still a bit of a W.I.P. so we shall see!

Thanks to everybody that commented!

I'll post again when I have some finalised models!

If you don't feel proud over how these models are turning out... You should! :)

Also, you should stop being so pompous, people are talking... ;) j/k

Great looking Templars! Those cloaks and robes are great looking!

?Pompous? I'm assuming the j\k means joking, but I don't really get it? Am I being pompous? I wouldn't say I am/have been pompous?? I'm sorry if I have, I genuinely would say I don't feel pompous! I definitely don't meet the criteria of the dictionary definition!

Thank you for the comments on the models though! I am proud of them, I just would like to achieve more - I'm sure that is true for all of us!

Archived