Assaulting Vehicles

Aetherian

During a recent game at my local store a unit of Ork Boyz assaulted a Rhino and, using regular CC attacks, managed a good number of glancing hits. Most of these hits were reduced to 1 or 2 after applying the 'Glancing Hit' modifier. Of the damage rolls, there were two fives which would have resulted in a 3 after the modifier. It was then pointed out that CCWs have no actual AP value and the modifier chart mentions 'AP --' hits apply a -1 modifier to the damage roll. We're perpetually new to the game and checked the rulebook as best we could without bogging the game down and couldn't find anything that addressed the question directly.

So do you apply the 'AP --' modifier with CC attacks? If so, what about power weapons, power fists, grenades, and so on?

I somehow feel like I'm asking a really stupid question. :eek Regardless, any help is much appreciated. :)

AP does not exist for CC. It's either power (ignores all armor) or it's not. That's pretty much it.

Power fists have their own special rules in addition to counting as power weapons. Power weapons (axes, swords, etc.) simply ignore armor saves, and since vehicles don't have armor saves, unfortunately they add no benefit to attacking vehicles (although a power fist does due to it's own special rule). Grenades have their own special rules for attacking vehicles, which you can find under the heading "Grenades" in the rulebook (look it up in the glossary in the back, the page eludes me right now).

that being said with CC , a glance is a glance, a pen is a pen. No AP1 or AP- modifier can be applied because "AP" is not a function of close combat weapons.

To underline and second what the others already have said: Only ranged weapons have an AP value and get a bonus or malus for having an AP of "1" or "-". Close combat attacks do not operate with an "AP" mechanic, they simply ignore saves or they don't, so they never receive a bonus or malus because of AP.

Archived