Land Raider Assaults & cover saves

1stCoBattleBro

Ran into this the other day:

Enemy unit will be assaulted by CC unit in LRC. The LRC moves up, CC unit disembarks, then the LRC shoots at the unit that will be assaulted. Does the fact that my disembarked unit is inbetween the LRC and the target unit grant that unit cover saves?

To me, said unit should not recieve any cover saves, as I understand the LRC's shooting to be really prior to disembarking/assaulting, and the problem is really one related to the turn sequence of game play - move, shoot, assault.

My opponent felt his unit should recieve cover saves, as per RAW.

OR is my whole problem in that I disembark during the movement phase planning to assault from the LRC? Can one not disembark during the movephase, then during the assault phase disembark & assault 8inches?

Any help would be appreciated. Hope I haven't been too confusing.

Draw line of sight from the weapon firing at the squad to the squad being fired upon. If you can disembark in such a way as to not intercede between the weapon and the squad being fired on, they wouldn't get a cover save. If you cannot, then they would.

Unfortunately you have to disembark before you can assault -- the land raider simply allows you to assault after disembarking (as normally something like a rhino will not) because it is an assault vehicle. So you have to disembark, then shoot, then assault.

OR is my whole problem in that I disembark during the movement phase planning to assault from the LRC? Can one not disembark during the movephase, then during the assault phase disembark & assault 8inches?

No, you disembark in the movement phase. Narthecium has it right.

RoV

Thanks guys ... to me it just seems silly though.

What we did was grant the unit cover saves from the hurricane bolters, but not from the assault cannon & m.melta, as those 2 weapons were higher and had a clear LOS to the target.

Thought I’m sure this will offer you little consolation, but there’s some backward incompatibility when it comes to these kinds of situations. Remember that the Land Raider models where made long before the, “4+ cover save when shooting through your own troops” rule ever came into effect. So, yes, I agree that it doesn’t make much sense that the hurricane bolter should invoke the rule when the twin-linked assault cannons do not.

So It’s a bit of an anomaly but not too bad really. In the movement phase, take as much care as possible when it comes to positioning the tank and the troops as they disembark to ensure the best firing solution possible. A bit tricky but I imagine that ¾ times you can line things up to avoid the cover save altogether.

-OMG

What we did was grant the unit cover saves from the hurricane bolters, but not from the assault cannon & m.melta, as those 2 weapons were higher and had a clear LOS to the target.

pg 58 (vehicles and line of sight) says When determining cover from a vehicle work out cover as if each fireing weapon was a seperate model in the same unit. Therefor sense the target had cover from 50% or more of the guns (both hurricane bolters, so 2 of 4 firing weapons) they got saves from everything. However is you used power of the machine spirit to fire one hurrican bolter at a different target then only 1 of 3 guns would be fireing at the orignial target, and there would be no cover. (you might even be able to swing POTMS to fire at the original target and then the rest also at the Original target, but that seams a little gamey, so I wouldnt)

That seems like a pretty fair compromise to me. Glad you guys were able to work it out reasonably and logically.

Archived