DIY Swapping Project 09 WIP Thread

Ferrus Manus

So, time to get some serious swapping done ^_^ . Being the lucky chap i am, i have Dave the Twisted's 'Knights of Ultramar' to work on. I'm taking this project as the opportunity to do something i've always wanted to do (or at least for the last few months). To go slightly 'blanchitsu' (i.e in the style of john blanche) on a marine. For me that means making things ornate, archaic, grim and slightly surreal... so it will be a departure from 'normal' marines and i hope Dave the Twisted can forgive me for this. But hey, the project is about reimagining a chapter right?

Here's my start:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/gw/wip_ultram.png

Parts so far:

Normal marine body/legs repositioned

Bretonnian Men at arms head

Ultramarine logo w/skull shoulder pad

marine chainsword arm w/chainsword removed

2 x dwarf axe heads joined together

goblin wolf rider spear shaft

dark angels swinging censer

dark angels candel backpack

bolt pistol

marine biker right arm, with hand replaced by hand from a bolter marines right arm

ork boys ejecting shells

enjoying myself so far :D everything just dry fitted at the moment so i can play with ideas. i want to sculpt flames blowing sideways from the backpack candles, moving in the same direction as the censor (which swings from the end of the axes handle, but not shown in photo as it fell off) to give a sense of movement. flames will give me a chance to play with OSL, which will be especially interesting as it will fall on 2 dominant colours due to dave the twisteds halved colour scheme. should be a unique challenge. C&C welcome.

being extremly happy with the army i got i couldnt resist starting before the bitz i order arrived!

so i dug out a spare shoulder pad and got to work with the symbol

this is my 5th attempt, the only one that looked ok

gallery_38604_4022_870043.jpg

good luck everyone!

and awesome look shiodome, i had the same idea with the ork bullets!

Shiodome... I am extremely excited by what I see, therefore I am so so very sorry I can't give your marine a similar treatment. I went into this thinking it would just be an exercise in different colors. I'll try and dig up some bits I can spare for this. Or maybe I'll repaint something in my army I don't use often.

Edit: Getting some stuff done. Pictures will be showing up soon-ish. Also, question. Will we be sending these models to the owner of the Chapter or do we keep them in our personal showcase?

Edit: Getting some stuff done. Pictures will be showing up soon-ish. Also, question. Will we be sending these models to the owner of the Chapter or do we keep them in our personal showcase?

We keep them for our own personal showcase. Though you could likely send them if you wanted to.

WIP Knights of the Emperor Marine

First up I made the concept for what I was going to do in the painter, and decided I'd play on the Knight bit by using Mk6 armour (which is allot like this medevial knight helmet):

gallery_20677_2301_12660.jpg

(I dropped the yellow and grey colours from Anwolf's original image due to the fact he said they were supposed to represent silver and gold).

Next I got all the parts I'd need for a proper Mk6 Marine with the only exception being the studded shoulderpad (don't have any spare), I also got one of my plastic Ravenwing shoulder pads out and cut away the sword to get the eagle wing Chapter badge.

WIP pictures:

Front:

gallery_20677_2301_55708.jpg

Side (badge detail):

gallery_20677_2301_54973.jpg

Another Angle on the Side (badge detail):

gallery_20677_2301_59773.jpg

Blurry Backpack picture:

gallery_20677_2301_44878.jpg

Knife arm Side shot (also blurry):

gallery_20677_2301_33637.jpg

All that's left to do is:

1. Do something with the base.

2. Paint the model.

3. Glue the backpack and base on.

I just hope Anwolf is sticking around to see it and do Bigger-than-Jesus' Marine (seeing as Anwolf only has 8 posts and hasn't been on since the 4th ;) ).

Alright. Time for some pictures and a rundown of what my plan for Shiodome's Son of Taurus.

I like the ideas about having a labyrinth as an initiation rite as Shiodome says in his WIP Thread, so I'm taking a stash of belt-pouches and some of the junk they gave me from the Scout Bikes and making him with a full survival kit. Suitably prepared for any extended encounter. I was also considering making him game-legal, but I decided against it in favor of making him look like a man-and-a-half. He's toting a Fist and a chainsword as I imagine him at the moment. I also pulled some spare armor plates from my brother's pile of leftover Nob bits. Sadly, I'm being forced to use a number of "seasoned" bits because I'm broke and thus can't order anything cool.

Here's the model as it is:

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10612.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10613.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10614.jpg

Edit: Updated the photo since there hasn't really been much going on since this last post.

Ahhh....my legacy lives on. Its good to know I made a major contribution to the B&C calendar :D......seriously though, I have several boxes full of made/partially made and bits of marines back at home(I'm at uni now), that I've promised to everyone on here I will get finished. I don't intend to ever completely leave the hobby. So when I go home for christmas(which id for a month, in a months time) I will make my long awaited return to the B&C.......Mwahahaha :P

update: done most of the modeling work and done his base. oddly the boltpistol i used didn't seem to have an eject port for shell casings, so tried to make one with tiny strips of plasticard. i've still got a small bit of greenstuffing to do, where i cut out the middle of a chaos shoulder pad and inserted the center of an ultramarine shoulderpad. should get done today and i can start painting. \o/

also, tried using polyfilla as basing material instead of sand and i love it!!! (dunno what it's called outside of UK, but stuff used to repair minor holes/cracks in walls and plastering). much finer grain than sand which i prefer and makes bulking up the base really easy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/gw/16497643002.png

Questions for dave the twisted:

What's the colour scheme on the packpack and weapons? (ei.g the piping on the vents, the central panel on back of vents etc)

Is there a regular system for kneepad squad/rank/campaign insignia or can i make up my own?

Is the shoulder pad with squad desination all blue, or halved/quartered? (also is the other shoulder pad halved or quartered)

Fun fact: drilling out a line of shell casings takes far too long :P

I are blind... reposting now in the right place :P

I've been quite busy lately, between work, wife and adding to my Deathwatch to use the Space Wolves rules. But since I don't see another thread for completed stuff, and frankly I don't want to start a thread just for myself.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/313/7/3/DiY_WiP_by_Rindaris.jpg

Arthun sat behind the barricade, next to one of his brothers. Brother no more though truly, for whatever was on the other side had taken his head off with one clean shot of high-powered plasma. His body lay slumped against the barricade, the wound cauterized instantly, small puffs of blue smoke drifting upwards carrying the smell of burnt flesh with it.

The rest of his squad had fared no better.

The local governor had called for assistance. Local guard were being picked off by unknown assailants. What was left of the native force no longer had the nerve to take arms against their unseen foe. Calling for the aid of the Astartes was the only option. Their arrival had spurred the local militant's fighting spirit, but the task of handling the aggressor was handed squarely to the Astartes. With the local guard weakened some darker elements of humanity took advantage and order had to be restored, this task was given to the guard.

Clutching his meltagun he sat silently waiting for another noise, anything. If not the aggressor then perhaps something that would distract it long enough for him to take a shot or perhaps even escape and report, requesting backup. Nothing. The entire world could have been dead for all the noise that filled that empty building. His foe was nothing if not patient.

One by one they had been picked off. Sometimes they caught a glimpse of something and other times death came on unseen winds. At first they thought it was a small invasion force, but it seemed to just be one or two, three at best. But they were very good.

I'm going to die, he thought. This is no way to die. There would be no honor in this sort of death.

No, I'm not going to die hiding.

He reached over and took the boltgun from his fallen brother. Next taking a fresh clip and exchanging it with the mostly spent one the weapon now held. His own weapon was low on its charge, but there was nothing he could do about that now. Holding the bolter in his left hand and the meltagun in his right he steeled himself for one last, desperate, attack.

As talented as Astartes are, these weapons were made to be used by both hands of a marine. To wield one in one hand would reduce its accuracy to much, but to do so with both was foolishness. But in truth he didn't expect to hit anything. Hard to hit what you can't see anyways. But if he could cause his foe to take cover perhaps he would have time to reach the lift and escape.

Rising from the cover of the barricade the bolter was the first he began to fire. The rounds escaping from the holy weapon and ripping through the air. Where they would strike they tore asunder. Walls and support beams alike ruptured from the force of the bolter rounds.

There. Something moved.

He didn't have time to aim, only fire. He raised the meltagun and let loose its fury. He knew he had missed before he even saw the resulting fire rip through a wall and the area around the penetration begin to melt. He couldn't have heard though, over the side of the weapons fire, the devastation to the building and his own determination that the lift had reached this level and was opening.

'Brother, down,' he heard an unknown voice invade his vox channel. His brothers were all dead, no one should be on this channel. That momentary distraction was all his foe needed. The movement stopped and a bright blue light was conjured in the air. It rippled through the air towards him, giving him little time to react. The blast torn off his left arm. A merciful shot compared to those his brothers had been felled by.

He let himself fall back down behind the protection of the barricade. But just as he was about to request identification he released he didn't need to ask.

He saw them. Standing at point was a massive black suit of terminator armour. The moment he was behind the barricade was more it began to fire its assault cannon. The red lenses scanning as he fired, looking for the unseen. From behind the terminator fanned out a squad of Astartes and he finally caught sight of their identifying shoulders. Deathwatch.

There were four to either side of the terminator, each began supporting fire to the heavier weapon. The lift and stairs behind them were the only way off this floor, unless one sought to breach the outer walls, which would be difficult even for plasma weaponry.

The one of the far right stopped firing and approached him, kneeling down to him.

'Can you continue,' the newcomer asked.

'I can.'

'Good, take your weapon and join us.'

And he did just that. As he stood he found his vox network highjacked and adjusted, realizing they were syncing his gear with their own.

He could see it. It was trying to hide behind a pillar. The terminator was laying down cover fire to prevent it from moving. Others in the squad were circling around to finish the job. As they came into position they saw it fiddling with something on the ground. It looked towards him and laughed. His own meltagun fired before he even realized he pulled the trigger. As did the weapons of the newcomers. The creature wore armor that looked like it had withstood alot of fire, but no armor is protection from this.

The sheer amount of fire caught it suspended for a moment, but it was quickly tore to bone and gore and littered the ground creating a carrion feast.

The one that had spoke to Arthun looked towards the ground, and his own eyes followed. Some manner of alien device remained, the writing on it unlike anything he had ever seen. But the newcomers did not seem ignorant and quickly began pulling back.

'The lift would take to long. Open the way,' the newcomer ordered.

Two of the others also wielded meltaguns and began to fire upon the outer wall. His weapon expending its last bit of charge joined theirs and soon a sizable hole was made. One by one they quickly jumped out, five stories, to the ground. The terminator the last, those on the ground quickly making room for its impact. As its massive form soared from the building as explosion tore at the interior and sought any escape from the outer wall. Fire and debris soared from the opening and tore into a building across the way.

A rhino cruised up to them, crushing under its treads rubble from the blast. The back hatch opened and slammed into the ground, leaving an impression crushed into the road.

'Come with me,' the newcomer said, motioning for Arthun. He led them both to the back of the rhino and within. Waiting was an Astartes in armor contrast to the others, pure white, though he too bore the Deathwatch insignia. An apothecary. Understanding the newcomers intent Arthun walked up to the apothecary and sat before him, and the medical marine began his work treating... no, preparing, where his arm used to be.

The newcomer remained, watching over the apothecary and Arthun. He sat aside his weapons and pulled off his helmet. An unscarred face, silver hair and piercing black eyes. He looked young, but something about him said otherwise.

'I must say I'm impressed. I didn't expect any of your squad to survive,' Arthun was about to respond, but the apothecary jabbed him with... something. 'Please don't move,' the marine in white demanded.

'My name is Wayland, I serve Severus Gilayd and his wing. We have been tasked with eliminating a xenos threat, one you are now familiar with.'

'What was,' Arthun began to ask, but the apothecary gave him a stern look so he just closed his eyes and listened, remaining perfectly still while the medical trained did his work.

Arthun heard another Astartes approach. 'Report to the governor that the immediate threat has been exterminated. There might be more however so we'll stick around and search the surrounding area. Also please send a communication to the chapter vessel in orbit and report that we found no survivors of their unit. Some geneseed might be recoverable in the rubble, but make no promises.'

Arthun's eyes open and he pushed away the apothecary, 'No survivors?!' he screamed towards Wayland.

Wayland unsheathed his plasma pistol and had it aimed at Arthun's head fast enough to make the wind jealous. Perhaps his injury slowed him down, or had the apothecary done something to him.

'I have an offer to make you. You are unlike your fallen brothers, you survived when they could not,' Wayland said.

Snarling, Arthun looked around for his weapon. It sat on the bench, charges completely expended. He could reach for his holstered pistol but he'd never get it in time. 'Do not speak ill of my brothers.'

'You mistake me, I do not. They were very brave for fighting a foe they knew not. Foolish, but brave.'

'Sit please, I am not done here,' the apothecary spoke.

Seeing no choice and wishing answers he sat, and the apothecary resumed his work.

'Look within. They were your brothers but you never truly felt like one of them, did you?'

He had trained with his fellow Lords, had went through the change with others. But there was always something just a little different. He never understood it, and just assumed it was part of the process of the change. Wayland must have seen that realization in his eyes, for he smiled at that instant.

'My offer is to join us. Take your place and avenge your brothers.'

'And if I refuse,' Arthun asked.

'None must know about this threat. The Imperium is already on the ledge of life and death. To give it another threat is to strip what little hope is left. But you won't refuse, you've already decided.'

Wayland sheathed his pistol and grabbed his other armaments. 'Take him back to the Starbreaker and make him whole again. Perhaps if its done quick enough he can rejoin us,' he said to the apothecary.

'I still have questions,' Arthun said. Wayland began to walk down the ramp of the rhino and turned back to him, 'When next we speak you may ask anything.'

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/314/e/0/DiY_Complete____maybe_by_Rindaris.jpg

Might retouch the mini a bit, pictures always seem to reveal a few things that could be done better.

I was really quite excited about this. Already needing to adjust my army to use the SW codex making a unique leader for one of my Long Fang squads was quite enjoyable. And I've always been a fan of the Apocalypse Lords, so as soon as i saw confirmation that they were indeed mine to do I wasted no time in working on them. Sunday i had little to do so I made it my focus to work on this mini, and a wulfen, and thats it really. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I hope Honda is as well.

ok half the bits i ordered have arrived now im just waiting on legs, head, arms and the command squad bolter.

im also looking around for bits to make this marine really shine havent decided what yet.

ok this is what a have so far, aswell as a monsterous amount of purity seals

gallery_38604_4022_421958.jpg

need to make it a bit more techy now, also i have to incorperate flames as he will be a veteren, this is my first go at flames...

gallery_38604_4022_1128767.jpg

which looks better far away :rolleyes:

gallery_38604_4022_737602.jpg

Questions for dave the twisted:

What's the colour scheme on the packpack and weapons? (ei.g the piping on the vents, the central panel on back of vents etc)

Is there a regular system for kneepad squad/rank/campaign insignia or can i make up my own?

Is the shoulder pad with squad desination all blue, or halved/quartered? (also is the other shoulder pad halved or quartered)

The backpacks are something I have never done a uniform color for. Here are some examples of what I tend to do with them though.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10615.jpg

There is no regular system of kneepads. Many marines paint at least one kneepad white. Some choose to use their kneepad to display their personal heraldries.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10616.jpg

There has never been any set squad composition in the Knights. They go where their Lord asks them. Their shoulder is typically left a field of blue if they don't have any awards to wear on them.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/braintick42/SDC10617.jpg

Hope that helps.

Alright. This is just like a post about some thoughts i have around this mini and showing some signs of life. Like yes, i havn't changed my mind about this swap. :D I wont be able to really start it just yet since i need to buy some things first...like green stuff etc. Give me a week or two and i should have something to show, i hope. I'll take this opportunity to try out some new things, like water effects, while still trying to do my very best. If the mini don't end up like crap, I’ll probably enter it into the golden bolter competition as well.

I'm aiming for a scene where i picture a marine, an artic lion marine in this case, clearing out a sewer section. I want to have water up to his knees. Also a small muzzle flash and some casings dropping down as he fires. The mini itself will be pretty stock and one that i've been wanting to paint for some time, as i really like the sculpt.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/landraider.jpg

Honestly, I’m not entirely sold on the chapter badge, so i might do a variant of it. Since Ferrus chapter is codex, i believe the veterans still can choose an alternative badge for themselves. I hope that’s ok with you. (hehe, I’ll do as i please anyway ;) ) I'm thinking maybe something along these lines:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/223_new_crest_m_lg.jpg

Or a more funny looking like this:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/halland.jpg

Alternatively two lions much like the English national football team badge to represent the two lions in the fluff.

Another thing i think I’ll change from ferrus original marine is the colours of his eyes. I don't think green will pop enough.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/frgtest3.jpg

I plan on putting a fairly large shield on his back where i can put a lions head. I don't know… it will be either roaring or a more calm focused expression like in the second pic.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/male_lion.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/narnia_aslan.jpg

Sorry for the large pics. I didn't bother to resize them. Oh, and i'd love to see a pic of a painted Artic Lion if you have any Ferrus. Just to see how you want them to look.

need to make it a bit more techy now, also i have to incorperate flames as he will be a veteren, this is my first go at flames...

gallery_38604_4022_1128767.jpg

which looks better far away ;)

gallery_38604_4022_737602.jpg

Epic! I love those flames! They look great SB, don't worry ;)

My own work is getting along... Just need pics :D

Arenis

Well, I've just finished building my recently turned Chaos Marine for sword brethren's Iron Grasp faciton:

The idea is that this is a recently turned Chaos Marine (hence the bits of Imperial Armour and the despoiled Aquila) who has been blessed with a weapon of great power by his commander after he slayed many of his former brothers when turned renegade. I'm yet to decide upon of which chapter he came from, but I may go for one of my DIY chapters unless someone has a suggestion. The helmet on the pole will be one from his former chapter.

So on with the images!

gallery_26154_4148_3454148.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3453719.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_517175.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_54960.jpg

What do you think so far guys?

Cambrius

Nice to see everyone throwing themselves into this. I guess I should get started. :lol:

Since Ferrus chapter is codex, i believe the veterans still can choose an alternative badge for themselves. I hope that’s ok with you.

That's more than fine. If I'm honest I see the Chapter Badge a bit like the space wolves in that the can be in any position or pose as long as the head is slightly more stylised like the Symbol in the IA - if that makes sense. And I do like the ideas your coming up with, personally I like the two lions idea but it's your model.

As for a painted model I'll see what I can do. I'll PM you.

In case I can't find a good pic, I usually go with Enchanted blue for the base of the armour with Ice blue followed by Space Wolves Grey for the lighter blues, with appropriate highlights.

Very nice Cambrius. Not my chapter, but I think it's a great model! Don't see too many Chaos Marines with Corvus helmets, even though they are an older make.

very nice cam! really fits the theme of my tactical squad, evil in a "hey im new here" sort of way :D

cant wait to see the paint job

Thanks for the compliments guys. :) Yeah I'm surprised there's no Mk. VI Helmets in the Chaos Marines sprue so I used one from the bitz box and added horns on the helmet from the plasma gun.

I hope to base and basecoat him soon, only problem is I don't know where to spray on campus. :lol:

Great work from the rest of you guys as well.

Cambrius

I've just finished reading this thread and was wondering. What is the DIY Swapping Project 09? How do I get involved and what do I do for it? I'm pretty new to this website so please excuse my ignorance to this subject.

Well, here's the link to the original thread. Unfortunately the sign up is closed, so you'll have to wait until next year to get involved. Either I'll run it again next year or someone can volunteer.

Archived