A DIY landraider for my Dark Angels

Nostromo

Some of you may remember my last scratch building project - a Dark Angels Vindicator

When i had it finished, i wanted to build a landraider next. Well, it took me some time to get it started, but here is an intermediate result after the first >10 hours.

Yes, i am slow. and purposefull :)

From what's lying around in front of the mock-up model (the large parts are not yet glued together yet), you can see what kind i have in mind - but it will be convertible when finished.

gallery_20618_4240_73733.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_81800.jpg

One of the next steps will be cleaning the edges with magic sculpt.

i really like how its coming together Nostromo. i think i remember your Vindicator, didnt it have some kind of mine clearing attachment. if that was the one you made then i loved it! and this project is showing alot of promise. did you take measurements from an existing Landraider or are you using your own templates?

and what materials are you using? it looks to me like a type of plasticard or thin plastic sheet but i could be wrong. anyways great stuff so far.

i look forward to more pics.

peace

i really like how its coming together Nostromo. i think i remember your Vindicator, didnt it have some kind of mine clearing attachment.

Yes, that's the one.

gallery_20618_1767_22738.jpg

did you take measurements from an existing Landraider or are you using your own templates?

i used the template that can be easily found on the net and modified the hull. The details are not based on any templates. Pure on the fly improvisation

and what materials are you using? it looks to me like a type of plasticard or thin plastic sheet but i could be wrong.

I use several materials - fortunately easily recognizable by their color.

brown - thick plastic card, about 1mm

white - thin plastic card, about 0,5-0,75mm

black - thick cardboard, about 0,75mm

grey - GW sprues

the wire is quite obvious

plastic tubes (about 3,5mm and 5mm diameter)

... and a ball pen

it is a real pity that the gothic arcs on the (moving) front door are not better visible on the photo... more will follow.

hey thanks Nostromo you answered all my questions! <_< anyways after this project do you plan on making a Thunderhawk or Stormbird? i have every confidence you could pull it off quite nicely mate. keep up the great work and ill be checking back to see your progress.

peace

• 2 weeks later...

Time is sparse, but i made some progress with the sponsons, the hull mounted weapon and the front door. Finding appropriate tubes for the ACs turned out to be the largest problem.

Closing all those gaps will occur much later when i am done with the cardboard works.

gallery_20618_4240_1143.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_7914.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i did not have much time, but here's what progress i have made.

The hull is assembled, the weapon systems for the crusader loadout are close to being finished, the gaps are closed and a few details have been added.

'looks like a tank ;-)

gallery_20618_4240_6868.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_1684.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_10440.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_5351.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_1256.jpg

it seems that the details on the black cardboard are invisible on the photos.. :wallbash:

another minor progress with the weapons.

The sponsons for the crusader and the godhammer version are close to finished and the turret weapon mounting finally works as desired (shown with the assault cannon).

Now i need to decide whether i will scratch build the heavy bolters as well or just grab a pair from the bits box.

Still no suggestions?

gallery_20618_4240_13649.jpg

Very nice, I would go for a scratch built heavy bolter first and if it is too hard use a bits box one. Make your sponson weapons bigger if you can, the hurricane bolters are much smaller in comparison to the GW model (It seems you've based your boltgun sizes on infantry bolters which are in reality much smaller than tank bolters).

You should work your way up to a tian :D

ah yes, the scale...

the bolters turned out somewhat smaller than i had in mind. Well, i did not find fitting parts for the bolters - they are essentially made of the largest sprues that i could find. The hurricane orginal bolters may be larger than my version, but after all, the infantry bolters and hurricane bolters are supposed to be the same weapon, aren't they?

It may not be that obvious, but the laser cannons turned out smaller than the originals as well since the tubes is used are smaller in diameter.

But i am nonetheless happy with the weapon size so far.

Allright, i will see what comes out if i try DIY heavy bolters as well.

What made you decide to do this lol ;)

First, i wanted a landraider for eons now.

Second, i do not want to buy one - especially not at the price GW charges.

Third, scratchbuilding is very relaxing and a landraider is the next step of complexibility i had in mind after drop pods, a predator (oh boy, that thing turned out quite ugly when you see it after a few years...) and a vindicator (see above).

What 40k vehicle comes next? I am not sure, but a titan is unlikely due to space, wife :blink: , and lacking usefullness for me (apocalypse is not my game).

I thought of startig an IA Army with completely scratchbuilt vehicles, but another landraider is more likely at the moment.

Maybe more and better drop pods? A thunderhawk is tempting, but like a titan simply too big.

Thanks for the replies - i already started wondering about the general interest in this project :ermm:

Well, the competition with the other current projects in this forum is hard.

My request for suggestions aimed at additional details that i could add.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone tracks this thread since the beginning - congrats, i admire your patience. There is a break of several months between work step so far.

Todays step shows the first layers of color. So far, the paintjob is about 60% completed. Many, many details are about to come, and some modeling is to be done as well.

But as always, the camera hates me - the marble-effect between the arches does not look that crappy in reality. Well... not entirely.

gallery_20618_4240_22971.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_14362.jpg

gallery_20618_4240_21941.jpg

And an overview of the modular weapon systems so far:

gallery_20618_4240_16097.jpg

Archived