Assaulting 2 fearless units

Commander Sasha

This follows on from the checkerboard cover discussion, but I thought it merited its own thread.

The situation: My marines simultaneously assault two mobs of Ork boys, both of whom are fearless;

They kill 3 marines, I kill 3 boys from mob A, 3 from mob B.

1) Have I won the combat, or drawn twice? (I think I have, so...)

I have won by a margin of 3 kills;

2) Do both Ork mobs have to take 3 more (saveable) wounds because of No Retreat!?

Possibly resulting in as many as 12 dead Orks from my 6 original kills?

If so, this would seem like a very good tactic against Green Tide;

3) How many of my boys, Tacs, Ass or Honour do I need to throw at 2x30 Boys to be confident of winning the combat. Loads of them, 2 squads, how heavy a hammerblow are we talking here? (assuming I charged, denying them the Furious Charge)

Finally, while we're talking about multiple combat,

4) How far can you stretch a multiple combat?

4i)If there are 2 mobs of boys, say 6" apart, and my squad of tacticals are strung out between them, so one end of my unit touches Mob A and the other end Mob B, is that both Mobs and me in a single combat?

4ii) If it goes (Mob A) touching (Tac A) touching (Tac :) touching (Mob B), where Mobs A&B are a long way apart, does that still count as multiple, or is it just AvA and BvB?

Hope these questions make sense!

You have won combat.

You combine the two.

From that point both mobs take 3 more saves.

As to point 3 - an 8 man squad of DC led by a chaplain, that fire pistols before the charge, can wipe out a 20man ork boy squad with ease in one turn.

30 man squad is tougher- 2 turns.

Sasha: you did it correctly.

As to #4, there is no theoretical limit to the sprawl. As long as you follow the instructions for assault moves, you're fine.

4i) that is a multiple combat involving both mobs and your tacs

4ii) I don't follow. But if you're referring to a convoluted chain of CC involving 4 or more units... it is also a multiple combat.

Seems like you've got it down... just reread the rules three more times to 'set' them in your brain.

4ii) If it goes (Mob A) touching (Tac A) touching (Tac B ) touching (Mob B ), where Mobs A&B are a long way apart, does that still count as multiple, or is it just AvA and BvB?

If Tac A is only touching Mob A, Tac B is only touching Mob B, and the only contact is between friendly members of Tac A and Tac B, then it is not a multiple combat. Contact between friendly models does not make them locked or engaged in the same combat.

If either of the Tac squads (or either of the Mobs) is in contact with both enemy units, then it becomes a multiple combat between 4 units, two on both sides.

As long as models from the same unit are involved, its multiple. But touching a freindly unit does not involve you in combat, and I am fairly certain models from other units do not count for the "within 2 inches of a model that is BtB" requirement. Its a good thing legatus answered 4ii, because when I read it I read tac A and tac B to be models from the same squad, not different squads. Yay illieteracy.

For 4i there is no technical limit but the assult restrictions act as a very limiting practical limit.

Remember you must

Move your closest model into contact with the closest model in the unit the assult is declared against.

then other models must try and reach base to base with an enemy (with unengaged enemies taking priority), while maintaining coherency with already moved models.

failing that they must get into coherency with an engaged model

failing that simply coherency

This makes it tough to multi aussalt enemies that are more than ~4" (2" coherency + 2 model lengths).

Archived