Daemon Hunters & Witch Hunters

SgtTelion

Hi guys, sorry for the newbie question.

Can DH and WH be used together as a single army and is it legal???

I want to mix the two armies together, not just talking one or two things.

My idea is to use Sisters of Battle, and add things like Grey Knight termies and Marines to bulk up my force, oh and a land raider!

Is this legal?

Cheers!

Alex

Legal? Yes. Practical? Probably not.

You need 1 Space Marine HQ and 2 Space Marine Troops. Then you can take 0-1 HQ, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Elite, and 0-1 Fast Attack from each of the two other codices, not to exceed 2 HQ, 6 Troops, 3 Elites, and 3 Fast Attack total, obviously. This should all be readily apparent in the DH and WH codices. Look at the Inquisition subforum for more ideas, and use the search function above, too.

Actually, it's still quite legal in most tournaments and yes, it is a bit under powered for what you get so there is no reason why it should be excluded from any tournament. That being said, you can cheery-pick the best of each army type within the confines of the options available. I'd recommend taking an SM HQ, two units of Grey Knight Terminators (one an HQ, the other an Elite), 2 squads of Battle Sisters in Rhinos or one big squad of Sisters with two special weapons, a Seraphim squad or a large squad of Power Armoured Grey Knights, and fill the rest with whatever units you like to play from the Space Marine list (keeping in mind that you need two SM Troop selections to make the list legal, and Vulcan is a pretty good HQ choice if you are going Sister heavy).

I will never forget the look of my opponents face when 16 Battle Sisters piled out of my SM LR Crusader and then Divinely Guided 26 bolter shots and 3 flamer templates into Dante and his Honour Guard, with any 6's rolled for wounding becoming AP1. Good times.

SJ

I've been to tournaments when they have "no allies" rules which I think is silly but w/e. I'm glad to hear it is still legal in many places.

You'll be well served to check out the Inquisition forums for ideas on units. Best units right off the top of my head:

-Gunline Malleus Inquisitor Lord w/psycannon, auspex, hood, retinue of plasma cannon, 2hb, 2 mystics, 2 sages, 3 acolytes and 2 familiars

--Allows you free shots at any deep strikers within 4D6 before they get to do anything, re-rolls on one shooting dice per phase allows you to re-roll 1s on the plasma cannon or the scatter dice. Inquisition Psychic hoods are the best in the game with unlimited range. Auspex lets them pie plate infiltrators. If you have a character with Bolster Defenses then plant this unit in said defenses for a 3+ cover save. Unit will never flee from shooting casualties because of the Lord who never has to take a leadership test.

-5x IST with 2 Meltas in SM Rhino

--105 pt mini tank. 2 BS 4 melta shots while moving at max speed = teh roq. Switch one out for a flamer and you have dual role for 100 pts (but only 1 melta shot).

-Gunline GKT. Brother Captain w/psycannon attached to 5x GKT with 2 more psycannons.

--3 Psycannons which are S6 heavy 3 and IGNORE INVULNERABLE SAVES at 36" range combined with shrouding means they're basically immune to enemy shooting. This is a very very scary unit that is a huge dilemma to remove as they'll rip up just about anything that charges. Free TH/SS swaps for 1 or 2 non cannon toting GKT for dealing with podding dreads.

-Seraphim

--8x Seraphim with 2 Hand Flamers, VSS with BoSL, eviscerator. Good at hitting hard, causing casualties and then running like hell to either charge again or let another unit mop up the all of a sudden unengaged enemy unit with shooting. Can also get twin inferno (melta) pistols for armor hunting.

-PAGK triple cannon "mini-purgation" squad. Like the Gunline GKT except you take a unit of 7 PAGK troops, give them 2 psycannons and then attach a lone Elite Inquisitor with a Psycannon. The beauty of this unit is it counts as scoring so you can camp it on your home objective and blast away. Upgrade the Justicar to a 4th psycannon if you really want but then he loses his S6 power weapon... I'd leave it on him. Justicar also gets targeter and auspex.

-A mob of Sororitas is always nice too if you have the faith to make them worthwhile which is a problem with using them as allies.

Keep in mind the ally rules laid out in the DH and WH codecies, which will restrict what you can do somewhat.

If you take either DH or WH as the primary force, you cannot take SM as allies to it (per those rules) if you take either Grey Knights or Sisters of Battle.

However, if you take SM as the primary force, you can take both GK *and* SoB as allies to it.

If DH is the primary force, you can take a handful of specified unit types as allies to it (specified in the DH codex).

I'm willing to bet the WH codex has the same kind of thing.

If you take SM as the primary force, you cannot take any heavy support from the DH book (and I bet the WH book either).

wow, what are those things? Can my SW army use any of that?

Niiai you need to get hold of the relevant Codexes and then read them first – then come back with specific queries. The OR forum isn't here to give those kind of rules away.

And remember that this is a rules forum and not really the place to be discussing the relative merits of various Ordo Inquistion setups.

Cheers

I

wow, what are those things? Can my SW army use any of that?

Isiah is right, you should atleast look through the codices at your local store to get an idea if youd want them or not.

Long story short we can use a couple of the Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight squads, as well as Inquisitional Stormtroopers. But if you want to use them youll have to bring the proper inquisition book with you to the fight, and almost all of the models are metal, so it can be expensive to add them to your collection.

Cheers for all the answers guys. Just so you know why i asked.... I want to collect both a WH and a DH army as i love the models.... but i couldnt decide which one to go for!!

Now i will just collect both and work it out!

Cheers!

Alex

Archived