Wolfwing 1750p

capt.nuss

So just to be clear. You first spray on fenris grey then shadow grey and last of all space wolf grey. And then just wash the whole thing in devlan mud ?

Looking forward to the head tut :Troops:

And don´t forget black priming... :HS:

Congrats for finishing in time.

Does that mean we can´t have a pre-wash pic?? :huh:

Anyway, let me ask you another one: do you paint details (eagles, plates, skulls, the shoulders) before or after the wash?

Im too waiting for the faces tutorial... :Troops::HS:

PS: I will give this method a try with some old and ugly plastic termis I have.

Good job and I'm looking forward to that tutorial.

The idea with the cookie box and magnetized bases is so incredibly awesome! I always thought about means of mini transportation without large foam stuff and the like. Do you put some sort of spacers in the cookie boxes so that the minis cannot move about? Or do you just put magnets on the bases and hope they will stay in place?

So just to be clear. You first spray on fenris grey then shadow grey and last of all space wolf grey. And then just wash the whole thing in devlan mud ?

Right.

The art in that is more or less, to find out that this way works ;-)

Anyway, let me ask you another one: do you paint details (eagles, plates, skulls, the shoulders) before or after the wash?

With the base colour before the wash. So, the base colour for that detail. What would be brown for thegold parts, and red für the red parts, and so on.

Then the wash.

Then the details are worked out, and all the "mistakes" that the wash makes, are cleared.

The idea with the cookie box and magnetized bases is so incredibly awesome! I always thought about means of mini transportation without large foam stuff and the like. Do you put some sort of spacers in the cookie boxes so that the minis cannot move about? Or do you just put magnets on the bases and hope they will stay in place?

I always do it that way, with all my armies.

They are magnetized with "magnet bases". Thats a flat magent foil, already cut to the right size, and you even dont need extra glue.

Just attach to the base, and thats it.

You do not need to do anything else.

This way you save real amounts of space, and your minis do not have to get in contact with foam, which may 'scratch' of colour.

Its well sticky enough, that you dont have to worry, not in a car, and not from carrying them around. You can even flip them over, no point, it all stays in place.

For my Marines, i even have a metal dread (!) magnetized this way, and even that fat bugger can be turned upside down, without it moving.

Im too waiting for the faces tutorial...

Well, its in fact so easy, that i wonder what exactly i might explain to you, that really helps and that you might be interested in.

There is just no 'secret ingredient' or sth...

firstly i must say that you have done a fantastic job on these minis and very inspiring with the time frame!

its nice to see such a coherent look to your army

would it be possible for you to do a (picture) stage by stage tutorial for the armour please?

great job :)

Right.

The art in that is more or less, to find out that this way works ;-)

wait wait what - the armor is actually *sprayed* on?

no wonder i had trouble trying to replicate the look by hand.

5 star thread Capt. Nuss, you are a phenomenal artist.

He alread said how to do it. The only difference is he uses a spray gun instead of painting it on.

But a stage by stage would be nice there's no denying that.

EDIT:

Damn you guys post fast :)

Yeah I had the same problem when I tried a test arm. I am planning to buy the citadel spray gun to replicate the effect since I place high value on quick and easy painting techniques. But I would be intrested Captain.Nuss what sort of spray gun you use ?

I don't think you can replicate the formula with a brush. Spraying the models airgun and even more so airbrush will give the color alot of opacity, at least the space wolves gray. going to try with my airbrush tho i think i will skipp the black primer and go for a fenris gray primed model.

Here are perhaps vome nicer shots

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/WolvesVonNuss4.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/WolvesVonNuss5.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/Wolves6.jpg

Ready for the table

But still many things to clean up and many details to add.

I don't think you can replicate the formula with a brush. Spraying the models airgun and even more so airbrush will give the color alot of opacity, at least the space wolves gray. going to try with my airbrush tho i think i will skipp the black primer and go for a fenris gray primed model.

yeah. thats a good point. I tried with a white primer and hand painted to test it out, it came out alot more blue even with a double wash on the armor.

I don't think you can replicate the formula with a brush.

You could, but with 10 times the time.

going to try with my airbrush tho i think i will skipp the black primer and go for a fenris gray primed model.

not a good idea.

The Primer is needed because its a primer, not because its black.

a Primer is the basis, so that the added colour later on will stick to the model nicely, and it gives the even texture needed.

I'd never recommend painting an unprimed model.

I don't think you can replicate the formula with a brush.

You could, but with 10 times the time.

going to try with my airbrush tho i think i will skipp the black primer and go for a fenris gray primed model.

not a good idea.

The Primer is needed because its a primer, not because its black.

a Primer is the basis, so that the added colour later on will stick to the model nicely, and it gives the even texture needed.

I'd never recommend painting an unprimed model.

Actually the new foundation works as a primer quite well. I painted a whole ork army with caltan brown as primer. Even though i primed outside my body didnt react too great to the spray/sprayed models, So tried painting on foundation paints instedd. i have to get a respirator mask before i start the airbrushing tho hehe

To prime or not to prime.... thats not the question to me.

In fact, anyone can do with own minis whatever he wants, but to change to paint-on primer, to save the time for the spray primer is... way off target.

No fronts. But i find it really hard to see the use in 'not priming'.

roughly the army like its on the pics took 80hrs, from buying to basing; magnetizing stuff included.

I'm always priming my minis specially the metallic ones and when I paint them with airbrush. The layers are so thin, and its easy to accidentally scrap the paint.

Priming with spray is quick, easy and cheap.

Actually many high end competition painters never prime their showcase models, primer is very thick when sprayed on. Even if it doesn't matter at all in this case. But it can make quite the difference in competitions.

You probably know this already though, so never mind.

Now I will continue to praise you a bit!

Much better pictures this time, glad u took the time. They look even more awesome en mass.

But you got to make a display stand for them, seriously. With a rocky arctic environment around them they will win Best Appearance on most tournaments, guaranteed.

:)

I'm disagree with this, top painters always prime the models, if you want a thin layer of primer you always can airbrush it:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Surfacer.html

Capt.nuss, congratulations for your workflow and your sucess making your army. You have discovered the balance between speed and quality. :cuss

I agree Capt. Nuss! Painting primer is never going to help save time. I only mentioned it as somebody had a reaction to spray-priming. This would probably also happen if you used the propellant cans when air brushing, but would probably be okay with an air compressor.

Anyway this probably isn't really the place to discuss these things, sorry Capt. Nuss!

80 hours is pretty remarkable for 32 (?) terminators of that quality with so many option! That makes them all the more impressive in my eyes!

Archived