Deep Striking / Teleporting

SgtTelion

Hi Guys,

i have a couple of quick questions about Deep Striking into the game.

I have read the rules a couple of times and am trying to make them stick, but here are the questions:

Do i roll for every unit in reserve at the start of the turn? or can i only deploy one unit a turn if the reserve roll is successful?

After Deep Striking or landing via drop pod, what can the unit do?

How can i make my Deep Striking more accurate/ not as dangerous?

I'm also presuming that a drop pod counts as deep striking?

Cheers Guys,

Alex

Do i roll for every unit in reserve at the start of the turn? or can i only deploy one unit a turn if the reserve roll is successful?

Generally each unit rolls individually, if it is successful it can arrrive via deep strike. BRB p94. There are different rules for C:SM drop pods using Drop Pod Assault, and Deathwing Assault for Dark Angels, and Daemon armies' Daemonic Assault.

After Deep Striking or landing via drop pod, what can the unit do?

Apart from disembarking if in a transport, they can't move or charge. They can shoot but count as having moved in their movement phase (so no firing heavy weapons unless they're terminators). They can run in lieu of shooting. BRB p95.

How can i make my Deep Striking more accurate/ not as dangerous?

Equip units on the table with teleport homers, this will cut out scatter if deploying within 6" of the homer (for teleportng terminators only). Get lucky with your scatter dice :D.

I'm also presuming that a drop pod counts as deep striking?

You presume correctly. Codex C:SM p69.

Cheers

I

Isiah has nailed this with speed and accuracy.

The only other relivent thing I can think of is that drop pods are very safe ways of deepstriking as they can only misshap by going off the table, or if you choose specificly to land them in an unsafe location (which is silly for you to do).

Also you may combat squad a unit when its reserve roll comes up, but before the actual deapstrike (thus having each combat squad deapstrike at a different location, but at the same time). You may also combat squad a unit imidiately after disembarking from a drop pod.

What I do is I like up my in-reserve guys on whatever side table I manage to snag at my club and I roll a d6 for each one, pointing and calling them out so my opponent sees what I'm rolling for and whether they come in or not. I leave the dice rolled next to them so I don't forget, which I tend to do while I take each one and consider what a surprise it is they're coming in so soon, where do I try to put them? =)

What I do is I like up my in-reserve guys on whatever side table I manage to snag at my club and I roll a d6 for each one, pointing and calling them out so my opponent sees what I'm rolling for and whether they come in or not. I leave the dice rolled next to them so I don't forget, which I tend to do while I take each one and consider what a surprise it is they're coming in so soon, where do I try to put them? =)

Actually this is a very good idea. I've seen some 'creative' reserve dice re-assignment to units that had previously failed their roll :D

Hi,

I'd like to add one more thing to this topic.

If You declare that an Independent Character joins a deep striking unit (I'm assuming he is able to do this) than only one roll is required.

Cheers,

Khorneeq.

Hi,

I'd like to add one more thing to this topic.

If You declare that an Independent Character joins a deep striking unit (I'm assuming he is able to do this) than only one roll is required.

Cheers,

Khorneeq.

Indeed, this is also true for a transport and any units embarked in it (one roll for the transport and embarked unit+IC)

Also note that many armies with the ability to deep strike have ways of reducing scatter. Drop Pods with Locator Beacons, Chaos Space Marine Icons, Daemon Icons, etc. Each of these has its own specific rules, and is found in the relevant codex.

Another tip - when youre rolling for DSing units, you roll all your reserves first, then place them.

Since drop pods can't be destroyed by scatter (except off table) do those AFTER you do the jumpers/termies/landspeeders etc.

Another point to note is that because your DP and the cargo are being deployed via DeepStrike, if they deploy into terrain of any kind they need to make dangerous terrain checks.

Too many people forget this.

Another tip - when youre rolling for DSing units, you roll all your reserves first, then place them.

Since drop pods can't be destroyed by scatter (except off table) do those AFTER you do the jumpers/termies/landspeeders etc.

Another point to note is that because your DP and the cargo are being deployed via DeepStrike, if they deploy into terrain of any kind they need to make dangerous terrain checks.

Too many people forget this.

If the Drop Pod comes down into Dangerous Terrain (it's not saved from this by Inertial Guidance, as it's not Impassable nor a unit) the Drop Pod also has to make a Dangerous Terrain check. If it rolls a 1, it suffers an Immobilized result.

This may seem ridiculous until you stop to think about it: it automatically suffers an Immobilized result per it's own rules...so this would be a second Immobilized result. Per BRB, this converts to a Weapon Destroyed result, so you lost your Storm Bolter (or Deathwind).

Perhaps a little overkill, but it does on occasion come up.

Archived