Deepstrike

Requiemnex

I am curious what other people do for deepstriking.. I have not messed around with it too much and recently have started using it and have had amazing results.. Originally i just dismissed it because my models could not perform some action on turn one and bad rolls mean no models.. In addition to deviation..

So I was curious how I should change my tactics or if I should change my tactics.. This is what I have been doing...

For Termicide I generally place the model what I think is about 5 inches from the tank that I want to bust.. From there I fire all three combi-melta shots into it.. Then find some nearby model to tie up in h2h with my power weapons.

For Obliterators i generally target a position in the middle of several things be it tank or troops. I try and do around 10 inches from whatever I want them to shoot at first. IE rapid fire plasma, plasma cannon, or multimelta shot. Depending on what my target is... So on the board I generally try and do this....

Place an obliterator close to whatever is on left side and then another obliterator on whatever is on the right side.. Termicide between the two to take out transports or mechs that are in the middle of the map.

my reason for placing thisway (against mech) is because generally there are more population of troops in the center of the map and my obliterators have longer range weapons to be able to fire anything from their locations. I run 2 squads of two obliterators and 1 squad of 3 terminators with combi-melta. I find this to be pretty crushing as if you decide to kill one you put yourself much farther from the other two. Forcing you to make a choice at what is more threatening. let me know what you guys do or think for tactics with your Deepstrike?

Deepstrike can mean the difference between plasma cannon shot and a las cannon shot. It also can mean the difference in taking out a mech list.. Like vs nids I would not deep strike them.. Against a mech Spacewolf army.. I deepstrike them.. Templates on large numbers of termies or multi-melta shots can be really helpful at taking down speeders, whirlwinds, landraiders, rhino, razorbacks. ETC ETC.

It will certainly be effective, but is 1 melta shot more effective than 2-3 lascannon shots (it isn't). The main thing though is simply the risk of it. Oblits coming in in the back are far too easy to kill. It just isn't efficient to use them over more termicide for the deepstriking role.

A few of Terminators with two combi-meltas costs slightly more than an oblitterator, seeing as how often times to deepstrike the unit will remain safe, the termies offer more wounds, a better likelyhood of wounding something if they get swamped in a melee, and a better chance of killing assaulting units as well with their additional attacks. Because of their lower cost, and bigger teeth, they'll see fewer charges, because they're not a free kill to get struck by 30 boyz before they get an attack. Plus they don't take a valuable Hvy. Support slot.

Umm.... actually 1 twin linked melta shot is better than a lascannon(or even 3) against heavy armor.

3 Lascannons against armor 11: 2hits, 1.333 pens, .4444 destroyed.

1 TL melta vs armor 11: .88888 hits, .76 pen, .38 destroyed. Outnumbered 3 to 1 and almost did as well.

3 lascannons against armor 14: 2 hits, .3333 pen, .1111 destroyed.

1 TL melta vs armor 14: .88888 hits, .5926 pens, .296 destroyed. Outnumbered 3 to 1, and almost tripled the result...

I <3 Meltas :P.

I don't think that is fair though.... why not 3 TL meltas compared to 3 lascannons :).

I switch around. Sometimes I bring a termicide squad, but when I don't I will sometimes DS oblits. I DS 90% within 6" of an icon so scatter doens't worry me. Termicide is great for taking out a LR that is within 12" of my units, and so are oblits. Where oblits do better is DSing nearby for anything else. Enemy terminators up close... TL plasma, far away... plas cannon, dreadnought=TL melta, orks=flamers. Basically I use them as 'instant' support for my rhino squads. Be it termicide or oblits. I favor oblits for killing 'anything'. I prefer terminators for amount of anti-tank firepower(though I do have an all combi plas squad) they can bring, and staying power when they get assaulted.

Now if I was DSing w/o an icon I would MUCH prefer the obliterator. If he lands outside of the 6" sweat spot he still has the multi melta and lascannon. So you can be a little more careful with where you choose to DS him. Plus sometimes a big part of the board won't be used.... great place for a lone oblit to come in. He can rain death on the enemy and be very annoying.

So I use both. Normally my oblits sit back, but if I know my whole army is going to be on the move I'll DS them as well as the termies. 1 game against a tank company I had everything DS, it was raining melta terminators and obliterators. Poor poor tank company.

Archived