Dark Angels IronClad Dread

DirtySteve

I know I technically cant use it but that hasn't stopped me yet. Enjoy

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac238/gringostroh/40k/IMG_0304.jpg

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac238/gringostroh/40k/IMG_0302.jpg

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac238/gringostroh/40k/IMG_0305.jpg

Did you ask him first? You should tell your opponent before you use something like that as long as you give them a heads up then they will probably say its ok in a friendly game, but remember you are using something from another codex and some people may not like it, so if they say no then you have to accept it and have a spare army list ready to use that doesnt include it.

The paint job is good by the way, but I don't like the text on it other than that its a fine paint job.

Its a good looking dreadnought, though I agree the leg graffitti isn't pelasing to the eye...

As for using it in games, well I have 2 experiences:

Back home, we use apocolypse rules for every game (without the 3000pts limit), so you can take what you like (within the points value), as long as its not daft.

But where I am at the moment, the gaming club is very friendly, but a little stricter, and normal FOC rules must be used, fielding a single codex etc.

So it depends on where you are really. But as stated communication is your friend! I would say be reasonable, if your going to use one for DA then perhaps don't drop pod it? your opponent is much more likely to accept 'another slightly different dread' thant a drop podded seige dread.

I would not through a fit (because I'm not a 13-year-old girl), but I'd definitely call you on it and ask why you hadn't told me at the beginning. I'm really open to using different codices for the same force (like Vanilla Marine codex for Chaos or Wolves), but I don't like it when people start mixing.

But it's an issue you should always clear BEFORE the game.

For the painting. The silver metal parts would profit a lot from another wash with Badab Black or similar, and I'm not a fan of the (not-so-)funny graffiti, especially if it's done a bit sloppy.

Otherwise very nice, I like the green.

As long as you cleared it with me before hand, I'd LOVE it, cause I'd use my Ironclads as well (since i'm going SW now... no Ironclads).

As far as the model goes... I don't really like that it has script on his leg armor but nothing on its shoulders. In my opinion it should be both or neither. Doesn't have to be script on the shoulders either... just... something, know what i mean?

Yeah I've been thinking of changing the leg graffiti for a while now, probly 5th company designation on the left leg and chapter icon of some sort on the right. I'm moving this week so it'll be one of the first things I do when I set up shop. I like the Idea of using the Appocalypse rules with out the the point min, for hanging out at the shop drop in games. And yeah a drop pod deployed siege dread does seem like a d*ck move, I'm at least gonna hit my Dad with it at home.

I did bring it up before the game too, we ended up feilding it as a venerable which was a reasonable compromise. I just never had someone flip on me before, I guess he spent days making a wraithlord and someone wouldn't let him play it, chip on his shoulder I guess.

Thanks for all the advice.

I love your model, I was planning on converting one in to a venrable for my Deathwing.

As for games, if you ask your opponent and they agree it should be fine, but not in official tournaments, if the disagree you could always use it as a 'count as' miniature, seismic hammer=twin linked autocannon?

At my shop/club there are 2 rules:

-in games run by the staff for everyone, ask the staff first then, your opponent. If both say yes then it's ok.

-in club games (you and one other) ask your opponent first.

a simple line of text in the current space marine codex in the dreadnounght section allowing ALL chapters to use ironclads would have fixed this problem of older codexes missing out on new gear.. pay attention GW ;)

Not that simple to be honest. Firstly each non-codex chapter would need to have different points to make the Ironclad balance for each codex. Secondly, what happens when Games Workshop updates each of the other non-codex chapters? They may decide they need to increase or decrease the price which means the entry in Codex: Space Marines would be obsolete.

Regardless of game play you have the issue of gaming policy. Games Workshop has made it clear that they want to go with stand alone codices... Codex: Space Wolves was the last codex that needed a supplement codex. Plus consider the added cost of buying Codex: Space Marines just to field a single unit.

The Ironclad miniature itself is awesome and you have painted yours to a nice standard. Good to hear that you plan on changing what you have on the legs as it distracts from the overall paint job.

Cheers, Messanger

N.B. sorry about the off topic comment just wanted to point out the difficulties that come about as a result of just adding in a line of text. Nothing stopping you for using the Ironclad as a count as Venerable dreadnought.

the older dark angels codex had a list that required you to have both it and the space marine books, they only listed options for the special stuff like deathwing while devastators tacticals had "see codex space marines".

however I see your point about points ( no pun intended ) but this isnt like the black templars not having access to snipers or whirlwinds or other chapters missing out because it fits the fluff, the ironclad is a new class of dread that should be available to all chapters ( an update to current codexes with points etc online would do)

just my thoughts on why anyone should have to miss out on a great model..

Archived