GC + FW + 5th ed. Apoc = ?

Seahawk

The Question:

In 5th edition rules, do Gargantuan Creatures (GC) still suffer D3 wounds from a non =][= psyker using a standard Force Weapon's psychic power, or do they ignore it altogether because it's now a psychic power (wasn't in 4th) without a strength value? There's also a second supporting statement that GC are not affected by Force Weapons whatsoever, in that they are immune to ID, and FW don't work against units that are immune to ID.

Relevant Rules Quotes:

Apocalypse:

"...gargantuan creatures...are not affected by psychic powers with the exception of those that have a Strength value..."

"...all gargantuan creatures are immune to the Instant Death rule."

"...they are not affect by any attack that would normally kill a model automatically (like a Force Weapon...). Such attacks cause D3 wounds instead."

5th edition BRB:

"Force weapons...also confer to the wielder one additional psychic power, used in close combat..."

"This power has no effect against...models that are immune to instant death..."

Just my Saturday musings :P

If they are immune to Instant Death, then they are immune to Force Weapon's ability to inflict Instant Death, in the same spirit as Eternal Warrior. That's BRB, so I think you're pretty solid there.

However if we're talking Daemonhunter Force Weapons...those operate under 4th Ed rules and so should still operate in that way (i.e. inflict D3 wounds).

Is there something more complicated that I'm missing here? It seems like you're on the mark without a challenger here.

If they are immune to Instant Death, then they are immune to Force Weapon's ability to inflict Instant Death, in the same spirit as Eternal Warrior. That's BRB, so I think you're pretty solid there.

However if we're talking Daemonhunter Force Weapons...those operate under 4th Ed rules and so should still operate in that way (i.e. inflict D3 wounds).

Is there something more complicated that I'm missing here? It seems like you're on the mark without a challenger here.

as far as I read, daemonhunter force weapons never incur instant death but instead, kill outright

If the test is passed then the opponent is slain outright no matter how many wounds it has...

so, if you wanted, you could argue that daemon hunter and witch hunter (they say they kill outright too) force weapons allway kill every thing, even eternal warriors. of course, you could be nice and just use the current force weapon rules

Nope, I was always talking about standard force weapons.

Inquisitorial Force Weapons don't inflict Instant Death but instead super-fast obliteration, so yea they'd still follow the D3 wounds. They were never under my consideration here though.

of course, you could be nice and just use the current force weapon rules
You would be, as the codex rules trump the rulebook rules. Hence, =][= force weapons get around Eternal Warrior.

To answer the OPs question- they would count as a psychic test and therefore be ignored not suffer d3 (on the basis that it doesnt cause instant death).

edit: the backup is in the FW rules you quoted in your first post Seahawk!

Archived