Using HQ

PhilArmstrong

well this isn't a tourny list sry and we play at a gw and thats the limit they set there

The list has nothing to do with the table, but Im sorry for you if the GW doesnt have enough terrain to meet the games standards.

Terrain really helps switch things up in a fight.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with a Librarian as your go-to guy for all your HQ needs. In small point games the 100pt bare-bones version adds some useful utility to whatever unit you plan to put him in and the threat of an instant kill attack, at initiative, has got to be worrying for a lot of your opponent’s big units. In bigger point games I always think about upgrading the Librarian before I add any other HQ choices.

My other go-to guys are Pedro and Lysander but these guys, I feel, need to be used for very specific roles. Pedro’s aura benefits cc units but he is not a cc monster so I like to stick him in a transport and advance him behind my main assault force to keep them in range of his aura so they still get the cc benefit. Alternatively he can give a small “home” objective defending unit a nasty punch by increasing their combat effectiveness (Dorn’s Arrow is not to shabby as an assault deterrent either), also in this role he’s likely to be stationary so he’s more likely to be able to get off Orbital Bombardment early in the game which is when it’s of most use.

Lysander is also a tricky one to use effectively, he needs to be in close combat, he is a total beast up close but his Bolter Drill rule is just too good to waste. My answer to this is usually to footslog him across the field at an objective attached to a Tactical Terminator Squad (this is somewhat dependant on the army I’m facing and the mission). The squad will be durable enough to withstand most of what’s fired their way, they are relentless so they can move and fire and they will be pretty devastating in cc once they get there. I tend not to use this tactic unless I’m playing at a points level big enough to throw in some other scary units to ensure not all of my opponent’s firepower can be directed at these Termies, for example I’ll have a Land Raider with some cc Scouts advancing and possibly a Dreadnought in a Drop Pod just to give the other guy some tough targeting decisions. Hopefully, as the Dreadnought will be nice and close, which is psychologically threatening, he will perceive this to be the highest priority target when in fact it is the cheapest of the three units.

Archived