Making an Alpha Legion Army.

Atendarius

I've been away from CSM for a while, being that I was severely disappointed in the new codex, but I never did give it a fair chance, and CSM happen to be my favorite army in the game.

So I've decided to start an Alpha Legion army, and I wanted to ask how I should compose it with the new codex?

Obviously related to this subject is how to equip Chosen and how to model them to make them different than the normal CSM.

Thanks for any help guys.

Obviously you'd want a couple of chosen squads, backed up by some normal CSM squads. I've heard of people using lesser daemons to count as cultists/operatives lying in ambush - it's not an ideal simulation but it's better than nothing I suppose.

In all honesty I think the loyalist marine codex can do a better job with Alpha Legion - Scouts as operatives, Korsarro Khan giving the whole army the ability to outflank etc.

I have a recent love for Chosen with meltabombs and special weapons. Obviously Plasma Guns or Flamers due to having meltabombs included. All five man squads outflanking.

140 points for 5 chosen, 5 flamers, 5 meltabombs, almost always gives me their worth back if not more. Sometimes a mob of orks fail and run from these guys after starting at 30 strong! A little luck I might add, I charge near the rear of the orks after flaming them down badly. Since the fella put his nobs closer to the middle of the table rather then near the table edge, I never caught a swing of that power klaw in those lucky scenarios. Flamed down at least 15 orks, then charged for more to perish(barely in range sometimes!) and it went well from there. Albeit best if I had 10 and not 5 doing it...

Your choice though, popular makes are 5 special weapons and a rhino outflanking, even give the rhino a combi weapon to add a little punch. Tank shocking a very nice strategy to add to the flame/plasma/melta death you spew. If you plan on assaulting though the unit must arrive inside the rhino and it always counts as moving when arriving by outflank. So it is best if they are melee to be foot slogging the outflank. Icon of slaanesh or khorne with a bunch of claws and maybe a flamer, or two with a meltabomb or two. If you run a khorne unit though you need at least 8-10 models to make sure they survive some casualties fighting say genestealers or harlequins.

Regular infiltrate units are best with 10 guys, maybe a heavy weapon along the lines of an autocannon or heavy bolter and plasma guns. Similar weapons, similar damage, similar shot ratio in many cases. Not advised though, unless you plan on taking cover when you infiltrate in a larger area terrain piece.

There is a specific thread covering Chosen Rhinos here.

I personally like to take more versatile Chosen squads, with a mix of weapons. One nice combo is the combined use of meltas and power weapons (which I use with the MoS, although some might argue that's not 100% fluffy) - you can use the meltas to pop a transport, and movement restrictions permitting, assault the occupants in the same turn. (Pg 67 of the rules)

I suggest getting Forge World Book 7. It has a cultist army squad in there and a cool Alpha Legion character. Also, check out Book 6 becuase it also has a cult army for Chaos. This is of course if you are just playing for fun with friends, because I don't know Tournament rules.

Archived