life-sized chainsword

Pizzasemmel

After nearly finishing my flamethrower i started a new project yesterday.

A life-size space marine chainsword.

It is 65cm (26") long, NOT functional and was built after the plans (well to be honest there is only one picture^^) from the rulebook (or the SM codex i have actually no idea). Material is 90% MDF, 5% plywood and 5% plastic. The "blade" is holed to minimize the weight, although the balance on a chainsword never will get anywhere closs acceptable. The handle is from a hammer drill.

Left to do:

- bring death and destruction over the emperor's foes

A small tutorial is not available here

Chainsword tutorial

Edit: a small update, i managed to find a solution for my pommel problem, i just sculpted it myself :P

And for your amusement, a small illustration of my mad scupting skills

gallery_49861_4187_358474.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_124505.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_115706.jpg

I just consulted my scales and they say it weighs ~1.5kg

The length may seem short (also due to the angle from which i took the pics) but i do as the devine patter commands.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/mediawiki/images/4/4c/Kettenschwert_4.Edition.jpg

ALso, unlike a real swort, there is no need for a chainsword to be as long as possible since it does rely on its abilitie to cut rather than destruction by impact.

Are there chainknifes in the rules? or was that just a joke? :)

Very nice work, I don't think the length matters in all honesty, it could just belong to a marine who prefers a shortblade. As for chainknives, they don't have their own section within the rules, but then not many weapons in CC do. I consider chainsword to be a catch-all term for many different styles of 'chainblades'. If that makes any sense?!

Very nice work, I don't think the length matters in all honesty, it could just belong to a marine who prefers a shortblade.

... or a Guardsmen chainsword, or possibly a scout's? (I think they are shorter)

:P I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a functional one to go along with my working power armor and fully functional jedi lightsaber. :P

If the hammer handle is hollow, consider adding some weight in there to help the balance of the sword. Maybe also a metal gearshift knob [skull type] to help the balance. Very handsome start on your project!

Unfortunatly the handel isn't hollow, there is a threaded rod in there which goes about half way through the sword to stabilize it. Grat idea with the gearshift knob, hopefully i will find a store nearby that sells such extraordinary accessories (a harley or a bikeshop?)

• 2 weeks later...

Allright finally there is some progress to report about.

I added some detail like the rivots and random design pieces I discovered on my model. I sculpted a pommel (see first post) and i assembled the whole thing correctly (with glue, not only provisional). First layer of paint (hammer finish) has been finished today, the first colour will be applied this evening :)

And for the monkeys (who can't read) a picture to be astonished by

gallery_49861_4187_115706.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Allright, finally some update(s)

So whats new?

-I started painting the beauty, well i spent a few evenings and i am nearly done now^^

-started wheathering and detail, effects etc.

- came up with the idea a display would be cool, so i built one

-came up with the even stupider idea to cut the letters out of plastic card...my fingers are bleeding :(

Now i am at the point where i start to redo things because i don't like it anymore, for example the guard will be repainted (maybe black) but then the colour balance is off (not enough gold/brass)

So what do you think? any idea on how to progress with the paintjob? or maybe you just want to comment to express your awe / criticism

Anyways, feel free to do so, my deay lightens up everytime i hear the "new message bing" from my mail client :P

-Pizzasemmel out

Edit: nearly forgot the image xD

gallery_49861_4187_170708.jpg

Awesome :D

I'd of possibly made the hand guard more ornate to match the handle, other than that fantastic ;)

It actually isn't a hand guard but the throttle for the chainsword motor. But whatev's, if thats the way you wanna build it then cool. I think it came out awesome. Great work. :P

Any chance of making a tutorial for this?

Well i can draw you a picture of how i assembled it (like a exploded assembly drawing) and what parts i used...the WIP pics are nearly all in this thread

It actually isn't a hand guard but the throttle for the chainsword motor. But whatev's, if thats the way you wanna build it then cool. I think it came out awesome. Great work. :)

I wonder how the SMs are supposed to operate that throttle since the sword is one handed (this actually was a quite difficult decicison: how do you operate a chainsword?) anyway, like you said: whatever ^^

Thx for alle the nice words

Good night

-Pizzasemmel

Awesome :D

I'd of possibly made the hand guard more ornate to match the handle, other than that fantastic :)

It actually isn't a hand guard but the throttle for the chainsword motor. But whatev's, if thats the way you wanna build it then cool. I think it came out awesome. Great work. :)

Its not the throttle is it? if you're speaking about the golden rod that will be infront of the fingers then to me thats a pointless design, take the Dawn of War 2 trailer for example. The marine sqeezes a trigger to start the blade, nice and easy. I've always thought it was the hand/finger guard, no other reason for it. Otherwise you would have to stretch your hand and pull it, and that will lossen your grip on the handle slightly, better to have a trigger :) but hey ho!

btw fantastic work pizzasemel, If only I can convince my tech teacher to make one for my tech project ;)

As far as I know its the throttle. The hand guard done by the OP looks cool and it can operate however way he wants, hell the marine is wired into the weapon, he could just think "weapon power up" and the motor starts... But essentially the lever would be smaller and closer to the handle and when you grip the handle in battle you do so with the throttle pressed to the grip, so essentially it becomes part of the grip. You're never going to attack without the thing full throttle. But like I said it looks cool as is and the logic the OP used is perfectly acceptable to me. :)

A job well done, when I first saw the WIP pics, I didn't think it would end up that good, but that's just plain cool, I'd buy one :P

Now, for the constructive critisism part, I'd also like to add to the "throttle" thingi. To be honest, it's ok, both as a throttle or an ordinary handguard. What I would suggest is to bend it a bit towards the pommel, much like a motorbike's clutch lever. It would make more sense like that if it was to be used as a throttle.

Once again, great job mate.

Mike.

I think maybe GW originally designed it as the throttle then decided to make it a handguard.

If you look at a few chainsword arms, I think the Captain or assault Sergeant, the piece has a few pipes guarding the back of the hand more like a handguard then a throttle.

I think a throttle is unecessary since like what was said before, they can just think the thing full throttle. However there could be another system like perhaps a pressure switch inside the hilt that activates when you squeeze it hard enough, or something.

Either way thats cool, but can we get the full view? not just that section of it.

Good job, now make it work :blush:

Archived