Sensor marine

Hyperion

Looks astounding - and very clean. The simplicity is genius as well !!

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial - as I had started to do the same thing, but was dong mine completely out of GS. I just was getting frustrated with the symetry issues and put the model down for the past few months :P

Forthe RT Tech Marine, just remember to give him the giant spanner and you'll be gold ;)

I wasn't planning on doing another of these conversions (not for a long time anyway) so no step-by-step tutorial I'm afraid, but here's a rough outline...

Helmet: standard beaky head with the back cut off at a slight forward angle and the ears removed; take the top of a terminator arm and carefully trim and file it until it looks symmetrical and the right size for the head (I filed the inside flat for a better surface); wait for the glue to set; carefully cut shallow grooves for the panel lines with a razor saw (which is about the right width); cut the little domes off two rear space marine torsos and add them either side of the rear helmet (you'll need to file a little flat spot for them to sit on); add larger ears using hexagonal plastic rod and then a couple of small discs (cut from narrower round plastic rod) and then add a small aerial with metal rod (paper clip); file the neck of the torso under the chin to allow the head to look further down.

Backpack: devastator sergeant backpack; remove the large scanner; add an extra aerial (paper clip); add another small dome (SM rear torso); take the tiny comm dish from the ravenwing sprue (the master of the ravenwing attachment) and pin it at an angle to the small dome.

Arm console: cut the forearm off a standard bolter arm, just below the elbow; cut the bolter off the hand; cut the hand off the wrist; replace the forearm with square rod of the same length and suitable thickness (or you could skip all this by just filing down the forearm!) at an angle that allows the face to see a flat surface; add a slightly longer length of plastic strip to form the outer panel, leaving a lip where the keypad will be (for a thin layer of green stuff); add detailing on the outer panel (I used a thin circle, some small discs, and some very thin plastic rod bent to form cables over the elbow); put a thin layer of green stuff on the upper face of the console, smooth it flat (remember to use water) and then add horizontal and vertical lines with a modelling knife (again, use water) to form the keypad. [i'm thinking of shortening the console a little, so that he looks like he can hold a weapon in that hand].

Pointing arm: missile launcher left arm; remove the hand; add the sergeant pointing finger at an appropriate angle (you probably want to do this last so it matches up with the console); you might need to trim the inside of the shoulder slightly to get it to reach further across.

Both arms are held on with blu-tac so I can paint the details more easily.

Hope this helps! :huh:

Pure Win. I'm going to snag this idea from you as well. Beautiful clean conversion. You're obviously a perfectionist when it comes to model building.

Another idea would be to use him as the ThunderFire Gunner. :tu:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Last time I saw one of those was in 2003 at Baltimore Golden Demons ... made it to First cut ...

http://www.sodemons.com/gd23baltimore/1-40ksingle/IMG_3990-01.jpg

If I remember correctly he was playing Asteroids on the screen with the Trackball ..

http://www.sodemons.com/gd23baltimore/1-40ksingle/IMG_3752-01.jpg

I like the way yours looks too :tu:

Thanks for the new replies. :)

Still not painted I'm afraid. I'm still trying to figure out where to put him in my list. I'm wondering if I should change his Legion - maybe Imperial Fists or Raven Guard?

If I ever get him painted I'll post pics!

Archived