Blast Marker Confusion

nurglespuss

Hi there guys!

OK, I've only had a handful of games under 'new' 40k, and i admit, I've not had time to trawl through the rule book as often as I would like to.

In my last game, I shot a squad with a plasma gun, luckilly killing all four models touched by the template. Now two of those guys were special & heavy weapon marines. My opponent proceeded to remove the 2 tac marines from under the template, but 2 marines from elsewhere in the squad.

Couple of questions:

1. Can you do this? I thought the point of tamplates (apart from denoting a big blast) was that you had to remove/roll saves for those 'under' the template, and casualties were removed thus.

2. My plasma cannon was at maximum range (i.e. the range of the weapon couldn't touch anyone else in the squad) is he still allowed to remove who he likes in this circumstance?

Many thanks!

as it was said in my store once.

just because the models are static dosn't mean their not moving.

They are there to represent the men being in a certain position. It would be a bit stupid of marines to stay stock still while the enemy shoot them, especially when a bit balst is coming down which will incinorate them compleatly.

The rules for removing casualties have been losened up quite a bit in 5th Edition. Casualties can now be taken from anywhere in the unit, not just from those within range or LOS as it was in previous editions.

For blast weapons specifically, see page 30 in the rulebook.

"Once the number of hits inflicted on the unit have been worked out, the firer rolls to wound as normal and then the controlling player may allocate these wounds on any model in the unit, not just the ones under the marker."

Before saves are taken, wounds must be allocated. If the wound is allocated to a heavy weapon marine and the save is failed (or there is no save such as from plasma) then the heavy weapon marine is removed.

However the wounds can be allocated to a "bolter" marine even if the "bolter" marine is not under the template. This prevents players from "sniping" with blast weapons which would be unrealistic. It is a compromise.

Back in 1st and 2nd edition 40k you rolled randomly to see who was hit and it added a lot of time to the game so it was dropped.

Before saves are taken, wounds must be allocated.

That's where many players (including yours truly) often go wrong and do it the fourth-edition way of first rolling saves and then allocating wounds. Of course, in a unit that has (say) eight models, of which six are regular marines, plus a missile launcher and a sergeant, if you take four wounds you can play with the tacit understanding that those wounds go on four of the six standard marines. It gets important when you take more than six wounds in this situation, though — you could lose the missile launcher or the sergeant just as easily as any of the other models then.

It is rather lame but I do believe it is legal.

Lame until it saves your bacon :)

Zogwart fried 4 Initiates with something blasphemous. Afterwards I realised I could have taken off 4 Neos. So I lived and learnt. :)

When it suits me, it looks like a very good rule.... ;)

Before saves are taken, wounds must be allocated. If the wound is allocated to a heavy weapon marine and the save is failed (or there is no save such as from plasma) then the heavy weapon marine is removed.

However the wounds can be allocated to a "bolter" marine even if the "bolter" marine is not under the template. This prevents players from "sniping" with blast weapons which would be unrealistic. It is a compromise.

This is how it works. =) You have to allocate wounds to models before you save with them, but any model in the squad can take them provided you allocate evenly (i.e. no model can take two wounds to save on unless every other model in the unit already has one).

If someone doesn't call their would alloc before a save, it's usually because they assume that you will assume that they'll do what everybody does and they will allocate what wounds they have to the "vanilla guys" (guys without upgrades) in the squad.

I recommend you read those wound allocation rules carefully. They will come up a lot. ;)

Archived