Question about Bikes

noobigaunt

I'm thinking about starting a bike themed army, probably small at first (1000-1250).

Space Marine Bike squads lack a good CC punch besides powerfists (no pun intended), 2 attacks on the charge unless I'm misreading something.

One option is, since bikes are troops, that I could take assault squads and keep the theme of a fast army.

Or I had the idea of a Commander with command squad. If I'm right, the squad alone could pump out 20 attacks on a charge (2 base attacks, +1 charging, +1 for two weapons), 16 of which are power weapon. With Khan they would also have Furious Charge and Hit & Run, and throw in a chaplain for re-rolls, making for a very mean unit in my opinion.

So the actual question is:

Do bikers get +1 attack for a second close combat weapon (power weapon and bolt pistol)?

I thought there was a rule that they couldn't because they have to steer or something, but I couldn't find any reason why they can't in the codex or rulebook.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find an answer through searching.

Thanks for any input.

-noobigaunt

The Command squad has 2 A, and they can take bikes. pg 132.

Bike squadrons have 1 A, beside the Sergeant. pg 140.

Bikers DO get +1A for two weapons & another +1A for charging.

They've just got Mad Skeeyulz, yo. ;)

*Read BBB pg 53. for bikes assaulting people in cover, to make sure you don't get surprised.

5th edition rules: you can have up to 8 bikers + attack bike in EACH squadron of bikes. (10 marines)

so, to my thinking, an all biker army, excepting assault squads, would be pretty fast. Since the bikes give them a toughness of 5, they should hang around a bit longer than tactical marines as well.

Commanders and their command squads may have bikes as well. (not including Khan's rules)

Another fasts option is to add Land Speeder Tornados (gotta love the assault cannon goodness)

Enough from me,

Rymeer

One option is, since bikes are troops, that I could take assault squads and keep the theme of a fast army.

Keep in mind that a bike unit is only a troop unit if your commander/captain is on a bike himself.

Thanks for the tips.

I discovered the source of my confusion. In the older CSM codex, under the chaos biker entry it says "they may not use an additional close combat weapon due to the need to control the bike."

See brother, consorting with Daemons can only lead to deception.

"Drive them back into the warp!" ~ GK from DoW I

Archived