Starting 40k, Do You Think This Would Work for Alpha Legion?

Bodhi

Hello,

I am thinking of finally taking the plunge and buying a Warhammer 40k army with the money that I got from eBaying some old Praetorians I found when I moved. I am leaning towards starting Alpha Legion after reading a lot on them, although not completely done with 'Legion'. They seem like a cool army but after looking at the Chaos Marine regular troops they just don't seem to fit my idea of them, so I was wondering if you think it would look good if:

1.) I got a couple of Dark Angel robed bodies (Shaving off the Imperial Eagles), not a lot, but I saw that Bit Kingdom has them for 5 for like 6 bucks so maybe like 10 marines or so.

2.) Then I was planning on getting some Assualt Marine running legs from Bit Kingdom as well and using like 10 or 15 of those (Before I get them does anyone know if they are interchangeable with the Chaos Space Marine boxes? This is because after reading a bunch of the Horus Heresy books it seems that the models for the marines are a bit static.

3.) I would like to use the regular Space Marine heavy weapons because I think they look better (I know I don't get the auto-cannon but, I could use the Chaos one if I needed it)

4.) Finally I saw on another post about using Imperial Guard models as lesser daemons and am wondering is that legal? Also which models would best reprosent this? I was thinking maybe Steel Legion, but what do you think becuase they don't have guns, rules wise that is.

If you got all the way through this post thanks for reading and any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Also do you think all of this mixing of Space Marine parts from different ranges would make the force look funny or would it be cohesive enough to look good?

Thanks,

1.) I got a couple of Dark Angel robed bodies (Shaving off the Imperial Eagles), not a lot, but I saw that Bit Kingdom has them for 5 for like 6 bucks so maybe like 10 marines or so.

I have seen Dark Angels robed bodies used for Chaos Chosen before, so if you are into that, go ahead. Personally, I am not a fan of robes on Marines, not even for Dark Angels. The robes are redundant and would only get in the way. I only like them special characters, who can be a bit more individualistic, but not on line troopers.

2.) Then I was planning on getting some Assualt Marine running legs from Bit Kingdom as well and using like 10 or 15 of those (Before I get them does anyone know if they are interchangeable with the Chaos Space Marine boxes? This is because after reading a bunch of the Horus Heresy books it seems that the models for the marines are a bit static.

Chaos body parts usually are more ornate than losalist body parts. If you freely mix all sorts of loyalists and chaos parts it might work that some parts are ornate and some are not, but using only loyalist legs and chaos for everything else might look a bit odd. I am not sure, perhaps it can work. Berserkers have two running leg variants (out of 4 total), perhaps you can get some of them? They have teh typical chaos ornaments. You might have to file off some khorne symbols.

3.) I would like to use the regular Space Marine heavy weapons because I think they look better (I know I don't get the auto-cannon but, I could use the Chaos one if I needed it)

You will have to use the loyalist arms as well then, they are part of the heavy weapon bits. Again the issue with the different styles of loyalist and traitor armour, but I think here it might not be as obvious. If you "chaos up" the weapons a bit it should be ok.

4.) Finally I saw on another post about using Imperial Guard models as lesser daemons and am wondering is that legal? Also which models would best reprosent this? I was thinking maybe Steel Legion, but what do you think becuase they don't have guns, rules wise that is.

In the previous Codex GW wanted to give every Legion a special choice, and for the Alpha Legion that were cultist units. Since cultists have been removed from the current Codex some players use the lesser daemon stats to represent cultists that fight for the Alpha Legion. The summoning could represent a guerilla sabotage unit that jumps out and ambushes the enemy.

I would probably try to find some more rebel/insurgent looking models, not the more uniform looking cadians or steel legion. Catachans or Necromunda Orlock gangers might work. But if you are good at converting perhaos you can make cadians or steel legion work.

DA robed bodies make excellent Alpha Legion (or Word Bearers), hooded DA heads can also be very characterful for AL if you don't want to go that far.

2.) Then I was planning on getting some Assualt Marine running legs from Bit Kingdom as well and using like 10 or 15 of those (Before I get them does anyone know if they are interchangeable with the Chaos Space Marine boxes? This is because after reading a bunch of the Horus Heresy books it seems that the models for the marines are a bit static

Legatus is correct in saying that Berserker legs work well for more mobile poses. The khorne symbols can be sliced off (carefully) with a knife, in most cases leaving a small 'medallion', which can be used to display what ever symbol you choose.

Also do you think all of this mixing of Space Marine parts from different ranges would make the force look funny or would it be cohesive enough to look good?.

AL fluff supports the use of captured Imperial equipment, so this should be fine. GW has in fact used this in reverse before; the use of Chaos sprues to show SW 13th Company using captured Chaos armour/equipment. The combination of imperial and chaos sprues works just fine, as long as you generally mix it up so that your troops have a good sprinkling of poses/equipment/armour swap - chaotic in itself! You can still use the chaos vehicle acessory sprue to add 'gargoyle heads' to the barrels of the weapons, again as Legatus suggested.

Perfectly acceptable to use 'counts as' models for cultists/rebel guard. Part swaps with fantasy ranges such as chaos marauders or empire flagellents can 'zealot up' your troops (best with the plastics, obviously); as for the lasguns, that might be better of having pistol/ccw models, or if using steel legion, maybe converting the lasguns into pikes/spears/another CCW. Normally, if you want to use IG models for this purpose, it's generally thought that you should make the extra effort and convert the models into a semblance of what they're representing - there's a fine line between 'counts as' and 'proxying'.

Also, I would recommend finishing Legion before delving too deep into the world of the AL; you're bound to come across some spoilers. ;)

I collected 40 metal cultist figures from ebay for a planned Alpha Legion army, but the new codex got rid of them. The army's been remodelled as a mix of Chaos warbands (Alpha Legion , Emperor's Children, Death Guard, Black Legion) and the former cultist's will be used as lesser daemons. They're creepy enough with their sharp features, pointy beards and hats!

If you're short of Chaos Rhinos there's fluff to support the Alpha Legion using false flag tactics, so they could be in Rhino's painted like a Loyalist chapter's. (My Alpha Legion squads will be in Red Hunters or Deathwatch rhinos.)

Archived