Apothecary Corbulo - Blood Angels High Sanguiniary Priest

Arsenal

Hello B&C!

Those of you on warseer might have seen my log there already, but I figured as this was a power armour forum (as well as one that is home to some truly exceptional painters) I thought I might be able to get some helpful feedback here on the stuff i'm working on.

So - I collect, or at least am collecting, Blood Angels. And not any of those new school, all red, bone, green and gold flavourless BA's. Some good old, honest to goodness

2nd Edition style Blood Angels. Well, that was the plan anyways - and this image was the inspiration:

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/ebaysize/95202313294.166.GIF

This seminal image was in fact the first thing Games Workshop I ever saw, as it was the cover of White Dwarf 166! As you can see, the imagery is slightly different to the more gothic I AM A VAMPIRE Blood Angels of today. Theres almost a cyberpunk feel to Blanche's blood angels, right down to the strange beetle-like shine on their armour. This is what I wanted to capture in my BAs. I decided to make a list of the stuff that I liked about the old BA's, to help me come up with some ideas and a colour scheme:

* New-school BAs - Red, Bone, Green. <_<

Old-skool BAs - Red, Black, Yellow ;)

* Red armour should have a shine on the surface, not towards the edges, so effectively gloss, as opposed to matte. You should be able to see this on the bits of Corbulo i've started but apologies if photo isn't clear.

* NO GOLD. all metals will be silver, but for the most part, gun barrels, ammo clips etc, will be black. Big difference from current BA range.

* Chest eagles Yellow

* blood drops & gems blue

* Black details, contrasting black armour plates, black flame details.

* Latin names - still frequently seen in BA armies, but things these days are usually trending towards the greek, and even then more common in ultramarine armies.

* Powerfists & Gun casings in yellow

* detailed personal heraldry & squad markings

* All blood angels hair BONE WHITE, not blonde.

As well as this, I was going to have to ease myself back into painting and converting. I so much as touched a model, much less a paintbrush, for nearly six years. Having picked up the new Space Hulk boxed set as the basis for my BA's, I was amazed at how damn slowly I even assembled them. Last time round i'd been a teenager, who assembled, converted and painted his models in a giddy rush. I was finding myself with a new hindrance, and possible asset - one that was very alien to me: Patience.

Yes, yes, Patience is a virtue you're all saying but so is Impatience at times: show us some damn models. Fair enough.

===CORBULO===

So, seeing as I was going to be using my Space Hulk Termies for 40k, I only really needed 10 of them for two squads of five. Also, I didn't really want them to look like the exact characters from Space Hulk, as as fantastic as these models are, everyone has seen them a hundred times aready. Thus, I found myself with a lot of bits that I could cannibalize from them. I figured that I could probably put together a strong Blood Angel character from a combination of these leftover (amazingly detailed) bits, and my rather swollen bits box from my years in the hobby. I brainstormed and thought that I should really have a crack at a rather underappreciated Special Charachter (model wise) - Sanguiniary Priest Corbulo.

I used a leg from Brother Valencio and Brother Scipio respectively, the grail thingy that comes in the Space Hulk set, Brother Zael's shield, plus the upper body of the master of the ravenwing. My greenstuff skills are incredibly basic so I tentatively filled gaps and tried sculpting a robe. The plastic apothecary arm completed the look as the exsanguinator, and seeing as it has a little chainblade on it that the standard Corbulo's doesn't, I figured it could count as his Chainsword as well.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4437/corbulounpainted2.png

View 2

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7650/corbulounpainted.png

The idea was that he's standing on the body of a fallen Blood Angel, screaming his vengeance at whatever foe slew him. I finished him up after this picture by carefully filling the terminator armour gaps in on his legs so they looked more like standard power armour, and adding a few details to his backpack.

At this stage I really had to take the plunge and do some painting, but I was seriously rusty. I did a test model for my red armour based on a Grey Knight I had in the bits box:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8489/testscheme.png

I liked the richness of the armour, but I felt it looked a bit flat. It didn't have the strong shine that Blanche's painting had, or its depth either.

I had a little think and tried to work out a scheme that would be a bit more detailed, and applied it to the base, which came out as follows:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/605/corbulobasepaint1.png

At this stage it was time to start on the model. I removed the grail and put it on its own stand for painting. I came up with a far more detailed process for the armour that I am much more pleased with. I went in with a very intensive dot based technique, which gives a very intense texture and is closer to Blanche's style. It also really made me step up my game because I had to paint at far closer detail. Looking at the model more carefully, 'zooming in' as it were, forced me to paint more neatly. Here is Corbulo in base colours. The groin, upper left thing and left hip have had the red painted in detail here.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6127/corbuloprogresspaint1.png

And this is a bit more progress, with the left leg done and the face started.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8734/corbuloprogresspaint2.png

And then further progress - more red on the shoulder, neck and arm done, face refined, and the comm link painted.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4009/corbuloprogresspaint5.png

Sorry for the close crops / zooms in the pictures, I feel that doing them so large is helpful because a) it allows me to see more detail on the model, and B) it encourages me to be neater.

I'm really pleased with the way things are coming but I'd love to hear feedback. Things move quite slowly simply because I don't get a lot of time to paint these days, and the technique i'm using is quite time consuming. I think i might need to repaint the marine on the Base's armour to match the Corbulo method unfortunately. I like him but my standard and confidence has improved a lot since I slowly geared up on those test pieces. Do you guys like the scheme? How would you advise doing the white (areas currently the blu-taccy colour)? Should I try add scratches to the armour or keep it pristine? I think i'm leaning toward the latter, as the method i'm using already gives it a bit of a texture and patina.

Anyway, would love to hear some feedback and sorry for the massively loooooong first post. Pleasure to meet you all!

This looks very promising, and although I came into this game during third edition, I agree with the direction you're taking your own Blood Angels. I've never been a fan of the 'new-age' Blood Angels and I prefer a toned version of the hollywood vampires we've been introduced to. I like the historic hallmarks you've applied to Corbulo, and I'll definitely be watching this. Good luck, but by the looks of it you won't be needing any! ;)

Well that was a great starting article to read! I really like what your doing! My fave so far is the 'dead' spacemarine, he looks convincingly dead (which is a real challenge). I'm glad someone is doing traditional blood angels, the 'new' ones are very lazy in my opinion (much like the new ultramarines) but then again I am first and foremost and Imperial Fist (currently on loan to the space wolves ;) )

Glad to see more dynamic motion put into a classic BA character. At first I thought the legs might be disproportinate to the torso, but after seeing it primed and having a little color splashed on it it's started to grow on me. I do hope you plan to work the blood drop gems up to a shine though. The cover of that WD is also what got me started in the hobby all those years ago (was 12 at the time). Thanks for the bit of nostalgia and for making me feel old. Looking forward to more.

Exactly. Or screaming BACK THE **** UP to whatever alien scum is looking to further defile the corpse of a sacred battle brother.

And RG - blood gems will definitely be shined up. The basecoated areas are simply basecoated atm, but yes, I'm planning to go to gleaming town on the blue gems.

I think the newer Blood Angels are still old Red Black Yellow. Sure there is alot of gold, some green, not sure where bone is coming from other than Death Company and Chaplains, which I guess are in everyone's BA army, but to say their commandeering the newer BAs is a little "extreme." I do really like your ideas though and I love Old paintjobs just as much as newer ones. Don't worry I agree with you wholeheartedly on the whole stupid Vampires thing, us being "flawed" and "a dying Chapter, for they suffer from a dreadful flaw. This Chapter, once the most golden and blessed of all, now shuns the company of its fellows." That is directly from the PDF (curse its existence) are we really that hated by GW that we have to be a dying breed? I'm glad your showing off the glory days, before this dumb Flaw crap, power to you!

Love the dead Marine! Sanguinius be with his eternal Warrior Spirit. Amen... Now lets kill Xenos!

Hold the boat! Not all of us Blood Angels are all that down with the whole Vampire thing so please don't lump us all together.

I really like the red you have going here. Good luck with the shine. Are you going for a sort of NMM red? I would love to see how you do that as I am struggling with that as well. The skin tone on his face is well done. Hard to make out the details on the torso but i think once you have that part painted it will be easier to see what it all is. I really like the highlights on the red I just thought I would say that again. I don't know that the position of the arm with the medical deal works for me, it seems a little off. Have you thought about adding a tabbard your model? I think that would bring him together nicely and cover that gap in his stance. I think if you just bring the white areas up to a good solid white it would look really good. It seems that the style of drawing on the WD is very bright and vibrant and a good bright white would go far in keeping with that theme. This model looks really good. I can't wait to see him finished and I can't wait to see the army painted in the bright colors. Great work Brother!

Obey the Emperor.

That is a great conversion and I like how you went back to the original paint scheme. I have an Angels of Death codex from the long ago, and I always liked the old yellow on the Blood Angels.

The bitz used for the conversion are genious, I think you can safely assume that you are the first person to think of those. My only gripe with the mini is that the robe of the Samael figure is not continueing below the belt.

very cool <_< Oldschool! That picture is the very first image I remember about Warhammer 40k.

I bet if you showed us a lower quality / smaller picture of the painted progress, people would have mentioned the armor glowed... But I guess that's what camera's are for. I've actually made some pictures myself to see if there were any (big) flaws I somehow can't see in real life (camera really shows all the details eh..). Very nice painting though, the red looks great.

how big is this guy? You have used terminator legs but with the other (power armor) bits, the proportions actually look right...

who on earth has unpainted GK terminators in their bitz box?

also, correct me if I'm mistaken, but havn't you just sawn Master Sammel off his jet bike, sawn his body to pieces and then used that as your torso front?

Well, thanks very much for all the feedback so far. Some excellent suggestions and questions, esp Seva and sgtNacho's comments. A couple of things I can answer quickly at this stage.

My only gripe with the mini is that the robe of the Samael figure is not continueing below the belt.

Its not particularly clear in the pics I have taken, but I sculpted the robe so it continues round underneath the arms and to the back. Basically, its shape is now closest to that of an unbuttoned waistcoat. I am not a huge fan of Marines in robes that go to the floor - they really seem very impractical for fighting.

who on earth has unpainted GK terminators in their bitz box?

Erm, me I guess. It's not the most ridiculous thing in the world: I just had one unpainted GK body that is never not going to look like a GK and thus wouldn't be useful for this blood angel army. I'm very glad I did the test paint. Slowly working myself back up into painting after 6 years away from the hobby really helped me work out some of the basics, and also allowed me to see what aspects of the red colour scheme were working and were not.

also, correct me if I'm mistaken, but havn't you just sawn Master Sammel off his jet bike, sawn his body to pieces and then used that as your torso front?

Yes? You are correct. I'm not sure what the problem is here?

Please, please post an ad link in the BA forum to this. The BA brothers would go mad for it!

Is that ok? How do I do that? Didn't want to start a new thread and spam the forums.

Yes I prefer the old scheme over the vampire style. (shudders at the idea of vampires and twilight)

i agree the guy who play edward cousin or what ever his name is looks like a foot!

grossly overrated films aside, im loving yout corbulo at the moment, looks as though he is really tough, the samiel body and termy legs reall have a good combo!

well done

Archived