Wound allocation

Freakiq

Having a bit of a rules debate in the group.

If a three man unit consisting of a Bolter Marine, a Lascannon Marine and a Sergeant gets wounded by 4 bolter and 2 plasma shots can I assign both plasma shots to the Bolter Marine?

Having a bit of a rules debate in the group.

If a three man unit consisting of a Bolter Marine, a Lascannon Marine and a Sergeant gets wounded by 4 bolter and 2 plasma shots can I assign both plasma shots to the Bolter Marine?

Yes. This is why they roll all to-wounds from the shooting unit before you allocate.

It works like this.

Bolter shot - Serg

Bolter shot - Lascannon

Plasma shot - Bolter marine

Bolter shot - Serg

Bolter shot - Lascannon

Plasma shot - Bolter marine

That's how I would do it, and I bet many others on this board would as well. It's well within the rules as wounds are allocated evenly over the unit (not that nothing in the rules segregates weapon types from the firing unit for allocation, so it's just a pool of wounds that you must allocate from, and that's what allows what I've done here.

This is not only legal but also a good idea, as it gives your two upgrade models a fighting chance.

Thanks Thade.

That's what I thought, but since I couldn't find an example in the rulebook that explicitly told me that I could I wanted some backing before I declared my opponent wrong in the matter.

All shooting from the same unit are considered to be done at the same time, so the example thade gave is perfectly legal.

Yeah, the question my group raised was whether a single model can take two hits from the same weapon.

Thankful that we could resolve it.

shots that would cause instant death however (not just ignore armor saves, but double toughness) I think are allocated to separate models before the rest of the wounds however...I could be wrong.

You are indeed wrong. Once the to-wound rolls have been made, there is no restriction on the way you allocate, so long as you do not assign additional wounds until each model has one, two, three, etc.

shots that would cause instant death however (not just ignore armor saves, but double toughness) I think are allocated to separate models before the rest of the wounds however...I could be wrong.

Is this the rule you mean?

If amongst the unsaved wounds there are some that inflict instant death, the player must first, if at all possible, remove one unwounded model for each unsaved wound that causes instant death, and then proceed as normal

So, you have to allocate instant death wounds to separate models, right?

I'm confused. Wound allocation confuses me generally.

Wait a minute. That reference you quoted would be in regards to a non-complex unit, it doesn't make any sense otherwise. In a complex unit, as was mentioned originally, that reference doesn't work because it says "If amongst the unsaved wounds...". Well, we only have unsaved wounds ONCE we've allocated them and rolled armor saves. That reference isn't saying how to allocate them, it's saying in a normal unit, not a complex one, where you roll all your saves together you take that into consideration. For example, going to use Orks for a reference because it's easier. If I had a mob of 5 Nobz all geared the same (unheard of I know!), and some of them had 1 wound on them already and others were still at 2 wounds then when I roll the batch of saves I'd need to pull the unwounded Nobz because of the instant death weapon and then I'd allocate the wounds as normal. Or, you could still have say 2 Nobz unique and 3 non-unique but if you allocate the instant death ones to the 3 non-unique and roll them as a batch then you follow the instant death reference mentioned.

I don't know anymore.... I find wound allocation very confusing.

You're right. I think.

So, say you have four nobz: one armed with wargear combo A, one with wargear combo B, and two with wargear combo C. They suffer 8 unsaved wounds, two of which cause instant death. You could allocate the two instant death wounds to the two with combo C, along with two normal wounds. Then allocate the remaining four normal wounds to the other nobz. The two nobz with combo C would have to be removed as you cannot stack the two instant death wounds on the same nob.

If there were three instant death wounds allocated to the 2 combo C nobz, then you'd still remove both nobz as you cannot move that remaining instant death wound to either or the remaining nobz.

Right....? ;)

Actually that's not how it works on page 26 (gotta ref. so we know where to look!). Once you realize it it's pretty easy:

"If amongst the unsaved wounds..."

Now think about it. You didn't roll for saves before allocation did you? (because that's cheating ;)). It also says "this is done for each group of identical multiple-wound models." In fact, all the ID special rules are only for a unit that "consists entirely of models that are identical in gaming terms and have multiple wounds."

If you have 3 nobs, each with different gear, if you take 5 wounds, 2 of which cause ID, you can indeed stack the ID wounds on a single model, thus only losing 1 while making lots of other saves.

Just remember in the case of multi wound models like nobs, if you start the round with a nob that has 1 wound remaining and you get hit with an ID weapon, you must put that shot on a full 2 wound nob and remove him first. You can not stick an ID attack on a model that has already been wounded.

Just remember in the case of multi wound models like nobs, if you start the round with a nob that has 1 wound remaining and you get hit with an ID weapon, you must put that shot on a full 2 wound nob and remove him first. You can not stick an ID attack on a model that has already been wounded.

Not quite, that is only true if both of the Nobs are identical. (as was explained so well by Seahawk)

If the two Nobs were different you could put the ID wound on the damaged Nob.

Indeed, puting ID on unwounded models is for the "remove models" part of wound alocation, not the distribution part.

To make things easy here is the FWAOoO

Frosty's Wound Allocation Order of Operations

1. Enemy Rolls to hit

2. Enemy Rolls to wound

3. Apply one wound to each MODEL untill each model has one wound, Then Apply a second, third, and so on untill there are no more wounds to allocate.

4. Seperate wounded models into different identical groups based on wargear (so all marines with just a bolter in one group, ones with a boltpistal/ccw in another, plasmaguns in another and so on)

5. Roll armor saves for each GROUP

6. Within each group aply wounds in such a way to remove the maximum amount of models posible (for example intant death goes on the ones with the most wounds remaing), extra wounds do NOT carry over into other groups, they are lost.

Archived