[Artwork] The Priory of Dorn - Chapter Organization

AngryJohnny

Its a very decent effort :P

just one question though, why does the chapter have 'interrogator chaplains' ? that dark angel territory...

The Interrogator Chaplains are only part of the Priory Council which is made up of veterans who no longer take part in any battles but rather advise the Grand Master of the Chapter and help perform in ceremonial duties such as selecting a new Grand Master of the Chapter. I named them Interrogator Chaplains to differentiate them from the normal chaplains. I'm definitely open to suggestions for alternatives. I didn't know what else to call them.

What are your thoughts on the rest of the organization of the Chapter? They are meant to be slightly divergent from the Codex Astartes, but not drastically different like some other Chapters.

Did you do this based on an existing template or did you make it up yourself? Not the characters and organization, but the template itself. It's pretty cool, I have to say. Awful lot of veterans in your chapter.

The diagram layout is based off the Chapter Organization Chart in the 5th Ed C:SM, but other than that I created the diagram myself.

They are a 7th Founding Chapter so I figure that gives them lots of time to build up their number of veterans. Also, the veterans in each of the companies are in place of an Honor Guard for the Company Master as well as replacement for the Command Squad for the Company Captain. Each company has a Champion & Standard Bearer, but no real Command Squad. The Company Veterans act as a body guard for the Company Master & Captain. Only the Grand Master of the Chapter has a true Honor Guard.

do they not use predators or whirlwinds

I assume the veterans in the standard companies are for training others within the company or acting sargeants if one is killed.

Nope. No Predators and no Whirlwinds. They also don't use any Plasma Weapons, LasCannons or Missile Launchers either.

The Veterans in the 2nd-9th Companies act Primarily as a Body Guard for the Company Master & Company Captain in place of an Honor Guard & dedicated Command Squad. I hadn't thought of other uses for them beyond that but I like your idea of providing additional training for the company as a secondary responsibility.

Nice looking document you have there. A few comments though - Any reason why there are no dreadnoughts? And what about drop pods, or is it just assumed that they have enough to deploy the entire chapter where necessary? Also, are all razorbacks part of the 9th company or can the other companies convert their rhino's if needed? Or just borrow the 9thCo vehicles?

Al

Nice looking document you have there. A few comments though - Any reason why there are no dreadnoughts? And what about drop pods, or is it just assumed that they have enough to deploy the entire chapter where necessary? Also, are all razorbacks part of the 9th company or can the other companies convert their rhino's if needed? Or just borrow the 9thCo vehicles?

Al

All of the Chapters Dreadnoughts are assigned to the 1st Company. There are also 10 additional Razorback Transports available from the Armory if a deployment decides that they need them. The Razorbacks in the 9th Company are also made available to the rest of the Chapter if the 10 Razorbacks in the Armory aren't sufficient. The Reserve Companies rarely deploy in a manner other than additional support for one of the Battle Companies. The Chapter prefers a mechanized deployment so the use of Razorbacks isn't typical as they prefer to have entire squads in a Transport. The 9th Company has an allotment of Razorbacks instead of Rhinos because they use them more as a mobile gun platform (and in place of Predators) than as a Transport. The chapter has no Drop Pods as all deployments are made from the Thunderhawk Gunships & Thunderhawk Transports from the Fleet Command.

Good explanations there, i like that you have added character by moving/reallocating/limiting things.

I think its really good, and maybe interrogator chaplains fit, if thats your theme? I might pick perhaps reclusiarchs, or confessors, or somthing a bit more pious?

great work!!

Excellent response and i commend you on all the thought you have put into this chapter. It is deffinately divergent without being too over the top and the whole organisation makes a fair amount of sense.

As for your "Interrorgator Chaplains", I do think they need another name. First thing that springs to mind is "ArchChaplains".

Al

Thanks for the comments so far everyone!

Good explanations there, i like that you have added character by moving/reallocating/limiting things.

I think its really good, and maybe interrogator chaplains fit, if thats your theme? I might pick perhaps reclusiarchs, or confessors, or somthing a bit more pious?

great work!!

I did some more reading on Interrogator Chaplains & they don't fit my theme. I do need a Chaplain that is of a more pious nature.

Excellent response and i commend you on all the thought you have put into this chapter. It is definitely divergent without being too over the top and the whole organisation makes a fair amount of sense.

As for your "Interrorgator Chaplains", I do think they need another name. First thing that springs to mind is "ArchChaplains".

Al

Hmm.. Arch-Chaplains. I kind of like that - definitely in consideration.

What are the different types of Chaplains that exist? Anyone have any resources that can give me some insight on the different types of Chaplains so I can find one that best fits my Chapter. For the Priory Council I need a Chaplain that is reverent and purposeful. Almost like a monk or a friar. The responsibility of the Chaplains in the Priory Council is to oversee / administer the various ceremonies of the Chapter and act as advisers on the Priory Council.

Members of the Priory Council are kind of like a combination of the US Presidential Cabinet & the US Supreme Court rolled into one. The also represent the Civilian population in the Ghulbain System. They ensure that the Grand Master of the Chapter is following the Chapters bylaws for both Civilian & Military affairs. They are responsible for choosing a new Grand Master of the Chapter in the event of the death of the current Grand Master of the Chapter. (similar to how the new pope is selected.) They also offer advice to the Grand Master of the Chapter. The members of the Priory Council no longer take part in deployment operations as they have already served their Chapter with honor and distinction. Each member of the Priory Council is personally selected by the Grand Master of the Chapter and will hold their position until their death or until they are replaced by a new appointee from a newly elected Grand Master of the Chapter. The role of the members of the Priory Council are more ceremonial & political than military.

I hope that brief explanation of the Priory Council is enough to help determine the appropriate type of Chaplain.

Well, in 40k the varieties of chaplains include: The Reclusiarch (standard codex chaplain), his boss the Master of Sanctity (sort of the chapter's chaplain), the Dark Angels have their Interrogator Chaplains (which I know you know already, and I know you knew I knew that, ya know?), Iron Hands got their Iron Fathers, Space Wolves get Wolf Priests, Blood Angels get Sanguinary Priests (I may be wrong here, feel free to ignore if I am), I'm sure other chapters have their own unique twists on the men in black (with skull faces) but I don't know them.

As for the real thing, try this .

Sanguinary Priests are the Blood Angels version of an apothecary. The title of Blood Angels chaplains is just chaplain.

There it is. Generally, when I give several answers at once, one of them is wrong. I guess the fun is finding out which one is the wrong one.

@ C-Wrex & Cypher 102: Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate the help. I did some reading on Chaplains on WH40K Lexcanum & found the same information. I decided to come up with my own Chaplain variant. I'm calling them Sanctus Chaplains.

I've updated the Chapter Organization image in the 1st post with the new title for these Chaplains.

Amazing work Johnny.

Is that a template file you're using?

Thanks. It's kind of a template. I created it from scratch using Photoshop. I based the layout on the chart that is in the codex. I created each piece individually & then combined them into one large image. I could make it into a template I suppose. It would be easy enough to modify if someone wanted to do so.

Guest Herald of Desolation
Knowing how you did it assists me. My Photoshop-fu is weak, but my buddy's isn't. You've given me inspiration to do one for my warband, and that means I'm going to be giving him hell till he fixes on up for me.

Knowing how you did it assists me. My Photoshop-fu is weak, but my buddy's isn't. You've given me inspiration to do one for my warband, and that means I'm going to be giving him hell till he fixes on up for me.

Do you have information on your war band somewhere? I really enjoy tinkering around in Photoshop & would be more than happy to see what I could put together for you. I just need the information to fill in the 'blanks' and some background on your war band so I could give it the right feel.

Guest Herald of Desolation

Do you have information on your war band somewhere? I really enjoy tinkering around in Photoshop & would be more than happy to see what I could put together for you. I just need the information to fill in the 'blanks' and some background on your war band so I could give it the right feel.

Really? Sweet. Let me put more thought into it and I'll PM you and provide some art sources. Thanks, AngryJonny. :D

Archived