Converting Black Reach Dread

Brother Loring

Well, I've been thinking of converting the Black Reach Dread for a while. A great piece for relatively cheap, but what a boring pose?!

Anyway, I wanted to make him more dynamic, and with a little inspiration and advice from Pingo's 'Assault' on Black Reach I wwent for it last night. I thought I'd take some photos and show you guys.

Anyway, I started by separating the body from the thorax from the waist and the lower leg from the upper leg.

gallery_46358_4329_1664723.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_1055986.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_1870504.jpg

Then, I after tidying the edges I plasti-carded over the lower thorax and arms (I hate the fact that they are hollow!

gallery_46358_4329_4262718.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_3224859.jpg

Then, I took away the bulky part to the top of the upper leg/waist part left-over from the torso.

gallery_46358_4329_1988485.jpg

I then plasti-carded some 'extra armour' for what would be the 'Gentleman's area' (who wouldn't want extra armour), and some joins for the legs. I took it that the hips would rotate around a horizontal axis, and the legs around a vertical axis. The join for the leg is probably not really necessary, but I wanted to add a little bit of height throughout and it makes it look like the legs have rotated, rather than just been stuck back on.

gallery_46358_4329_756000.jpg

This was quite fiddly and needed some tidying-up after.

So now for some reconstruction. I reattached the legs with a little bit of horizontal rotation to match the stride of the lower leg.

gallery_46358_4329_45112.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_3706761.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_1985256.jpg

So (kind of) the finished article. I know it doesn't look a huge difference, but it want I wanted to achieve - a dreadnought that looks as if he is moving and not about to topple over. Now I have to think about how to make him more templar specific - shaving down Sarcophagus front and replacing it with the BT upgrade one and I'm also considering adapting the exhaust a little!

Any thoughts?? Any advice??

Nice article!

Although it is a bit much effort for such a slight change in the pose. You can just as easily get this by simply attaching it to the base at a different angle.

If you look at this dread of mine, you can see that the poses are not that different, although I left the leg structure of the Black Reach Dread untouched.

But I can see a lot of possibilities with your article ^^

Wow! 250 views and 1 comment - thanks Cathar - this must be so truly un-inspiring it's unbelievable! Even a, "That's terrible, why did you bother!" would have sufficed!

@Cathar - Thanks for the comments. I first want to say that dread of yours is superb - the hands are great, how did you model them? The pose looks similar, but your dread is tilted when standing on the raised rock his legs are straight beneath him (i.e. un-changed). This is what I wanted to eliminate. I agree with you on the pose - it is a subtle change, but that is kind of what I was looking for. The pictures don't really do it justice to be honest, with right foot flat he looks as if he is resting his foot on an angled platform, with his left foot flat he looks as if he is charging into battle (the pose I think I'm going to go for) and half way inbetween, he is just striding. I would liked for it to be a little more dynamic, but I am reasonably pleased with mine.

Once again, thanks for the comment!

Thanks and your welcome. Don't be too disappointed about the view/comment ratio. It seems to follow no real patten which threads get more comments and which don't. But I'm studying the subject right now ^^

As said, I see a lot of potential in this method and I'll use it on my next dread to see how far you can go with it. I was thinking about a running/jumping pose with arms outstretched ready to strike.

I'll try and post a picture of him running - it wasn't what I was originally going for - I want him to be reaching out his foot to squish and ork under a piece of scenery - but it's the one that looks best from the result.

Once again, thanks!

Looks really great. also using this technique, you could easily magnetise the waist and arms with very little effort and conceal them fantastically :D

Don't worry about not many replies, it happens. People are lazy about posting (myself included), doesn't mean they dont look and appreciate

Nice work mate! I'm pleased my efforts provided a measure of inspiration to someone :D

I would try and make the arms a bit more opened out. Just my personal preference, but I feel it makes a dreadnought even more dynamic.

Something a bit like this...

gallery_46358_4329_2721628.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_54745.jpg

gallery_46358_4329_475532.jpg

I was thinking about trying to open-up just the CCW part of the arm, but that would have been a crazy amount of effort. When you said about opening the arms up, I went ahead with an easier way around it!

Just need to add some cabling detail to the joint and something (I'm not sure what yet) to the inner arm.

Archived