Scratch Built ThunderFire Cannon

Mal

Ok.. my newest army list includes 2 ofthese monsters... and at £25 a pop my wallet cannot support my game...

Sooo being the avid gamer that I am... I though... if I cannot buy it, then I must BUILD IT!!

Then I realised what I was getting myself into... eh gads I must be crazy!! lol

Anyhew, I've started working on the first of 2 thunderfire cannons, building them completly from nothing more than the picture on the GW.com store, and let me tell you, its harder than it looks...

So far I have the main base built with the main frame of one of the tracks done, im about ready to GS some detail onto the track and wheels, add the shocks/supports and start work on the main gun supports...

Unfortunately my camera flash is a bit laggy so im unableto take viewable pictures tonight, i'll get some taken in the morning and post them up.

Ok I have a few pics of what I have done so far...

This is the partially built track side (only in place to allow the body to balance, i'll finish the other track before starting this one).

gallery_36925_2476_76337.jpg

This is the top view, so far its just a base for the rotation disc where the gun support will be mounted.

gallery_36925_2476_158985.jpg

This is the side view of the main track that i've been working on, you should be able to make out the pins I have in place that will support the GS work im going to do, also that penny with the square of plasticard is the rotation disc that the gun support will be mounted on.

gallery_36925_2476_166518.jpg

And lastly this is a line sketch overlay of what i'll be doing with GS.

gallery_36925_2476_166523.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I have a bad feeling that I have made the track suspension a little too shallow, it only just comes upto a marines waist.... I suppose I could add a couple mm in height when I gs the track on... but my TF may be a touch smaller then GW's...

Well providing I get the gun to scale, I can just say its had its suspension lowered.... perhaps I could put some UV lights under there too.. and some fluffy dice on the mirror :cuss

Archived