Converted LSS

Mal

I have agreed to convert a regular marine speeder into a Land Speeder Storm for my brother for Christmas this year...

So the first step was to purchase a speeder, now considering i'd be going 'Jason' on it I decided to not buy a new one :Troops:

Off to eBay I go, and £5 later I have this:

gallery_36925_2476_40693.jpg

Now the first thing to do was split the front compartmant from the rear so I could extend it and allow for the seating in the back:

gallery_36925_2476_558031.jpg

As you can see I have also started striping the paint off of the model, there are 3 reasons why I did this, firstly, all the flash was showing, secondly the paint had been applied with a 2x4 and thirdly the parts had not been glued in place correctly, so I cleaned it up a bit and will continue to do so.

The next thing I did was gently pry the seating fom the front compartment and remove the passangers:

gallery_36925_2476_310902.jpg

Since there are supposed to be scouts in the front the PA lags just had to go... but I didn;t want to have to sculpt scout legs from scratch, so I decided to file the PA lags downand I will GS some creases in to make it appear even more like cloth rather than armour:

gallery_36925_2476_664268.jpg

And this is as far as I have gotten so far, apart from doing a little more cleaning on the mini...

MY next steps will to be to block off teh rear engine compartment and build the frame for the troop compartment... updates to follow...

Seems like an interesting project. Couldn't the Land Speeder Storm be driven by two normal marines, with scouts hanging out the back?

Since the LSS has a lower BS, it'd be two normal marines with terrible aim.

Can't really say much about the conversion yet at this stage, but I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for updates! The Storm doesn't get nearly enough conversion love.

Well heres a quick update without pics...

I have striped about half the paint from the rear section and about 3/4 from the front section.

@Pingo: I'll be making this pretty close to the GW model, but it'll be a little longer (about half an inch) due to the way the engine housing is different from the LSS to other speeder variants.

And another update, I have attached the floor base for the passanger compartment and blocked off the engine block from view, i'll be putting a mesh grill on the floor similar to that of the GW LSS and i'll probally do some sculpting on the back wall to make it appear less bare.

I have also completed the layered seating, I painted the bottom layer roughly in black because in the early pics you could not see the raised layer.

gallery_36925_2476_791825.jpg

gallery_36925_2476_1300562.jpg

Well its been a constructive day for the LSS... I have yet another update for you...

I have added in the grills on the floor and GS'd the edges, I originally used plasticare strips for the edging, but to be honest, this weas more hastle than its worth... so I striped it off and used the putty.

gallery_36925_2476_197513.jpg

Also as you can see in that pic I have added the base support to the seat, in this pic they are not yet glued in place, but it should give you an idea of what its going to look like...

gallery_36925_2476_187921.jpg

I still have more detail to do on the panel blocking off the engine compartment at the back, and im going to build the winch supports once I have this compartment completed..

All things considered, there isn't a huge amount of work left to do on this thing...

C&C welcome.

I will be converting scouts for the pilot and gunner seats... i've considered doing some passengers but to be honest... im lazy...

I think my dimensions may be a little bit out, but like my TFC I have only a picture to work from... so im guessing a bit :D

I'll need to obtain 2 scout bodies before I can do much more as I need to finish the cockpit before I can attach the sections together...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, major update.... nearly finished!!

I have completed the scouts in the cockpit and reattached the seating.

I've connected the rear section back to the cockpit.

I've extended the passenger base by 1/4" and done the base plating.

I've filled the gaps left by its original shoddy construction and my modifications.

All thats left now is to attach the winch supports and the communications antena, and i've got a little more gs work to do on the base.

gallery_36925_2476_735560.jpg

gallery_36925_2476_863482.jpg

gallery_36925_2476_39981.jpg

Ohh forget to mention the front wings needed making, which I have just finished actually, also I need to make the steps for the passanger compartment.

Archived