Raven Guard RB & SS Captain

Here is a captain I'm making out of bitz I have left over from various things...

He's going to be my secondary HQ or a captain for when I want to play a vanilla (non-RG) SM army.

Here's a few blu-tacked together ideas, tell me which you guys think is the best one and I'll make it...

Sorry they're on their sides, posting topics on the restricted Sikth Form computer... ;)

gallery_50252_4355_6240.jpg

[Edit] Pose #1 selected

I really like the first two models, the third one is a bit blurry and I'm not particularly keen on storm bolters.

I'm not sure I've seen the pose on the first one on a model before - I must have, but can't think of one - but it looks extremely nice though.

How did you do the arms on the second one? I'm about to need a similar pose on an Emperor's champion re-make. I was going to use the tank gunner arms, but have not given it a go yet though??!

Keep us updated!

The pose of the first one is very nice. How did you achieve it?

My biggest gripe would be that nothing on them really screams captain to me. They look more like sergeants. Maybe you could spruce up the torso fronts and legs a bit to make their armor stand out more.

I don't understand the problem with the pictures. Even the standard Windows picture viewer can turn pictures the right way and saves them automatically. What is a sikht form computer?

I really like the first two models, the third one is a bit blurry and I'm not particularly keen on storm bolters.

Sorry about that It looks ok on my 3Mp phone camera, I'm not too keen on it because the SB looks too big for even a SM to lift with one hand!

I'm not sure I've seen the pose on the first one on a model before - I must have, but can't think of one - but it looks extremely nice though.

Yes, I like this one the most

It's the AoBR blade, and I didn't realise how massive it is but when he's holding it in certain positions it also looks too big for one hand!

How did you do the arms on the second one? I'm about to need a similar pose on an Emperor's champion re-make.

It's only a scout arm for a missile launcher, it's all I had! I was going to GS over it if people like it and make my own GS hand or use a gripping hand off a Bolter wielding SM.

The pose of the first one is very nice. How did you achieve it?

Ordinary bolter arm with hand cut off replaced with AoBR hand. It's at an extreme angle so there's a massive hole between where the torso ends and the place where the arm would usually stick on!

My biggest gripe would be that nothing on them really screams captain to me. They look more like sergeants. Maybe you could spruce up the torso fronts and legs a bit to make their armor stand out more.

I totally agree, i was just sticking these together with blu-tac to gat an idea of shape and poses...

Will GS some fancy markings onto him when I've got an idea of exactly what I'm going to do...

I don't understand the problem with the pictures. Even the standard Windows picture viewer can turn pictures the right way and saves them automatically. What is a sikht form computer?

I'm currently on a computer in the sixth form where I'm studying, the computer is linked to the high school network and almost all programs have been blocked to stop the lower High school kiddies from "time wasting"

I'm currently on a computer in the sixth form where I'm studying, the computer is linked to the high school network and almost all programs have been blocked to stop the lower High school kiddies from "time wasting"

euughh same! i only get about 1/4 of any pics on this site :@ its difficult to enjoy studying when i cant put chem, biology or psychology to the side and see awesome models!

awesome build, looking forward to seeing it painted ;)

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I know it's been a long, long, long, long tome since I first created this topic, but other things have been keeping me busy. :S

Time for an update I think!:P

I chose the first pose after watching 300 and thinking about how awesome it would be to have a Spartan-esque Marine, complete with Spear and Round Shield! :P It took me a month to find my lost set of drill bits to be able to make the spear but finally after a month of occasional frustrated searching, I found the box and got to work:

[gallery_50252_4355_13365.jpg

You can see the little yellow spacer between the modified arm and the torso to bulk out the shoulder, this will be Greenstuffed over.

gallery_50252_4355_3214.jpg

I magnetised the left arm so that I could replace the Storm Shield with a Combi-Weapon etc.

gallery_50252_4355_2678.jpg

This is the Storm Shield that I will be attatching, it's quite big, but it's roughly the scale of the Spartan Round shields. You may be able to see the Raven Guard heraldry finely scored in, I'll freehand thae symbol as if it's behind the chevron. It's made from greenstuff and a small metal disc I found.

gallery_50252_4355_4625.jpg

Finally, this is the spear that the Captain will be holding in his currently empty hand, it's made from the AoBR relic blade and a piece of blue paperclip. I think it needs something on the bottom to complete the look as it's a bit plain, but I can't find anything that looks right, I may have a go at making it more ornate with some Green Stuff...

Hopefully I'll have him finished within the next couple of weeks... (I'm running very low on glue!) :P

C&C is welcome

The storm shield looks cool and will look even better when painted up with the RG monica behind the chevron. But the spear looks a little weird- just unaturally held, i think it needs to be twisted around a little in his hand so that it looks more like a fluid stabbing motion. and if hes a captain something bigger to make him stand out even more, you said you have used to AoBRparts what about the AoBR captain's cowl around the back of his head! its eagle/raven -ified and would bulk it out a bit more in a sense of slightly more orante armour/ higher rank. hope this may help.

As much as I agree with you about the lack of particular armour awesomeness, I hate the AoBR captain and I think that the cowl is the worst part... Yeah the arm doesn't look wierd from most angles, it's actually the pauldron that is a little off the usual place. It looks ok from above, but a model's eye view looks slightly wierd. Hopefully after it's painted black it will be a little less obvious.

:P Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! This project is nearly finished, he's looking pretty sweet painted!

I've had a little trouble with the eyes, I'm finding it tricky to get the pupils to look in exactly the same direction, but other than that he's looking pretty good. It just goes to show, you don't need to have a whole lot of greenstuff skill to make a nice looking and unique model, just a load of bits and some patience...

The banner isn't done yet but I was hoping to get that done soon with the following image:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/hot_stuff9/picsforkelly-ravenbird.gif

Here he is:

gallery_50252_4355_20598.jpg

gallery_50252_4355_37479.jpg

As I said, he isn't quite finished and I've now noticed the white lip and the flecks of white on the pauldron...

I hope like him and as usual C&C is welcome :cuss

Archived