Word Bearers and Sorcerers

The Nephilim

I tried searching for this to see if it was covered already, but what is the general opinion of Chaos Sorcerers within the ranks of the Word Bearers? I've read Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple, but can't remember if they cover that in the novels.

In those novels the DA had alot of abilities that seemed very sorc like to me. I can't remember if they actually had a sorc but I myself would have no problem with a WB player taking a sorc and calling his list fluffy (as long as it was an undivided sorc)

Is it feasible that a Grand Host would have more than one Acolyte? Granted, they'd be ranked, but would there be more than one? I'm writting out my Host's organization, a la Codex Organization chart (inspired by AngryJohnny) and was wondering.

Last I remembered, the DA had some powers in the book but they were more faith-based or through a daemon.

I remember there was a mention about sorcerers being weak or un-honorable or something negative like that. I remember it because it reminded me of a very "Khornish" thought. I think it was in the 2nd book if I remember right.

Marduk saw sorcery a weakness, believing true power came from faith in the Dark Gods, not the ability to perform tricks. However, this view may be a result of the sorcerer belong to the Black Legion instead of the "holier than thou" Word Bearers.

True, and while some "sorcerers" have powers who are "sorcerous" in their nature, i.e. they come from an external source, like a daemon or some powerful artifact, there is also the possibility of someone whose power is more of a "librarian" nature, in the it comes from himself and no-one else.

In my opinion it's feasible that a "Librarian" style sorcerer would gather more respect than "Sorcerer" style sorcerer. IF you get what I mean. ;)

Then on the third, there are of course those whose gifts manifest in such a way that they could be likened to psychic powers while they in fact are not, and wise-verse.

And fourthly, there are those who enact powers similar to the SoB faith-powers as mentioned before. ;)

That's my take on the whole of it at least.

TDA

I don't think it's a terrible leap to infer that psykers and sorcerers would be highly prized and revered in the Word Bearer's ranks. After all, they have the ability to walk and commune with "The Empyrean Powers" themselves.

True, but the Dark Apostles themselves can do that, and many have sorcerous abilities.

The Liber Chaotica makes a point of noting that even Khorne worshippers have access to psykers/sorcerors of a kind, but only insofar as they are people channeling the power of their god, rather than trained individuals utilising power of their own. More religious miracles than intellectual sorcery of the sort Tzeentch and (to a lesser extent) the other gods would prefer. I see Word Bearers being more of this 'prayer magic' bend too.

The Liber Chaotica makes a point of noting that even Khorne worshippers have access to psykers/sorcerors of a kind, but only insofar as they are people channeling the power of their god, rather than trained individuals utilising power of their own. More religious miracles than intellectual sorcery of the sort Tzeentch and (to a lesser extent) the other gods would prefer. I see Word Bearers being more of this 'prayer magic' bend too.

I could agree with that. In general it seems like the Word Bearers have an almost submissive feeling towards Chaos, so it would make more sense that they're willing to be receptacles for their Gods power instead of trying to master it.

Its funny though because I had a topic awhile ago wondering why Sorcerers always seem to be hated/feared/disliked even in the Chaos Legions where you'd expect that kind of power to be appreciated.

Its funny though because I had a topic awhile ago wondering why Sorcerers always seem to be hated/feared/disliked even in the Chaos Legions where you'd expect that kind of power to be appreciated.
I think thats because, whilst all Chaos worshippers like having power, they dont like other people having power; particularly if its a kind they have no easy access to or way of gaining themselves, like sorcery.

I would have said it is more to do with the attitude of sorcerers than with their actual powers. Sorcerers are completely in it for themselves and will be the quickest to use or sacrifice those around them.
And that is different from other Chaos worshippers... how?

:lol:

BTW Flawless Host = awesome choice; one of my friends did them too, and they are a sweet look to play against.

Archived