My incarnation of Kjarl Grimblood

Rizara

hey guys, for those who don't frequently visit the wolves section of the forums, i figured i would also post my wolf lord here. Hes still WIP, and also trying to get some feedback mainly on his axe before i give him some paint.

Anyways, i present my incarnation of Wolf Lord Kjarl Grimblood, Lord of the Firewolves.

As for gear, hes given power armor, belt of russ, a frost axe, and a combi flamer.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/childofdelight/Space%20Wolves/100_3694_edited.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/childofdelight/Space%20Wolves/100_3695_edited.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/childofdelight/Space%20Wolves/100_3693_edited.jpg

Also i wish my green stuff skills were better, they are rough at best, and mostly i can do some filling of gaps, fur, and maybe simply purity seals.

For his Frost axe, which is hard to make out since i was using grey epoxy putty. However i tried to sculpt a wolf head on one side of the wolf skull, and a flame image on the other side. Both sides are close to identical as one can get trying to sculpt the image with no drawing and no image of the other side of the axe.

Like it. Hope you're going to paint a lot of runes then. Iäm also working on Kjarl Grimblood, but I tried to make him true scale. Hopefully I'll make some good pictures when I'm done. But I sculped him with a sword and pistol, and a bigger beard. :) He is a Wolf Lord.

The flamer is a tad large, but I like the axe and the torso.

With all the bitz and stuff hanging on his torso, the legs look a bit weedy and boring. Have you though about making them a bit longer with plasticard? (search for Dan the Demon's Chaos thread here in the WiP and you'll know what I mean)

Don't worry about the green stuff. It will get better with practice.

yeah i gave him a bit more beard, was thinking of something a little longer but again, due to my skills, trying to get a few braided sections was going to be next to impossible. Also his chest was a little busy since i had the two extra wolf pelt legs drapped over his front.

As for the legs, i agree. They look rather small after all was said and done. Part of that was because of started working with ideas in my head and didn't really put anything down on paper. The legs were just from the commander kit, and i orginally thought about making him taller and more truescale, however the rest of the army isn't truescale so i didn't want him to out of place. I am currently thinking of doing something with the legs to add some extra height to him, at the very least have him on a rock.

Overall i am pleased with the model, just his height overall bugs me. Part of that issue is also the oversized axe and the combi flamer. I could shorten the length of the flamer a little by removing the extension and grip, so i might do that to make it a little shorter. I have also thought about scrapping the whole combi flamer idea as well, and just give him a pistol of some sorts. Perhaps just go with a hand flamer or an inferno pistol design and count it as a combi flamer in games. Not sure how well that would hold up in tourneys that require WYSIWYG.

Also i have seen lots of truescaleing done where they add a section in the legs. My issue is again, my green stuffing skills, and i seem to have a hard time getting nice smooth transitions. So if i cut the legs and added a section to it, they would end up looking rather rough.

Thanks for the C&C so far.

Cut the legs

Add 1mm spacers of plasticard, slightly wider (1mm or so) than the legs

Glue back the remainder of the legs

Align them perfectly

Trim the plasticard a bit

File down till it's smoth

If you have any gaps, fill them and smooth, use milliput so you can file it, GS sucks at filing.

that's how I do it, and I can't sculpt at all.

This gives nice clean transitions, but you'll need to be careful where to cut the legs, as you'd like to cut where the difference in width between the upper and lower part of the cut is minimal. And cutting as straight as possible is handy to.

He looks wolfy enough, to busy for me, and to large weapons for my taste.

cheers,

Beork

thanks for the advice, i might take it into consideration for future conversions. I think for now i will keep his legs as they are. The more i kept looking at the model, the more the gun just seemed way way to big for him. The axe i wanted to keep because its a space wolf wolf lord, and he needs a proper axe. Anyways i removed the combie flamer arm and replaced it with a plasma pistol. Mostly because he is suppose to be the lord fo the fire wolves, and plasma is still technically a flame weapon of sorts, at least it melts its victims with the intensity of a star.

He does look a little busy but less so i guess with the smaller weapon. I am much happier with the smaller pistol over the bulky combi flamer, and also rules wise he will now have a devestating shooting weapon at close range he can use each turn and he will get that extra attack in close combat.

The combi flamer would have been perfect i guess if i gave him termie armor. So i guess i will hold on to the flamer conversion for a wolf guard or termie armor variant.

Archived