Vindicator siege shields

Golindar

Just a question for the experienced gamers out there. Are vindicator siege shields worth the extra points?

I am a relatively new player and in the games I have played I paid for the shield because I thought it looked cool on the model. But the shield did not serve any practical purpose. I felt the points would have been better spent on power weapons for my sergants or plasma cannons in the tac squads.

Has anyone found the shields particularly useful? I am planning on running 3 of them in the linebreaker formation in an apocalypse game, so the point savings could go to upgrades elsewhere.

Though I do not have any vindicators myself, from what i know from people who do the answer is YES. Nothing is quite as anoying as raming though some cover to have your incredably powerfull but SHORT RANGED tank imobilized. But if you are worried about the points, dozerblades are cheaper and unless you find yourself rollin snake eyes alot will do about the same job.

Or, think really hard when delploying them, so they dont have to move at all, so they can shoot their cannon all day, or atleast so they don't have to rumble through terrain. Leave the rumbling to your less shooty vehicles.

I take them as often as I can. I usually run 2 Vindicators and the upgrade to 2x siege shield vs 2x dozer blades is the same cost as a downgrade from a single power fist to a power weapon on a sgt. Worth it to me.

My last game against Necrons, my brother teleported a lord and a ton of warriors (16?) right behind my line. Stuck the landing like a 15 year old Russian gymnast. Really sucked for me when he glanced my 1st Vindicator into a wreck. Sucked for him when my second vindicator crashed right through the wreckage of the first and laid the pie plate on the unit with no scatter. I didn't miss a single 'to wound' roll... ouch. You won't be back!

I take them as often as I can. I usually run 2 Vindicators and the upgrade to 2x siege shield vs 2x dozer blades is the same cost as a downgrade from a single power fist to a power weapon on a sgt. Worth it to me.

My last game against Necrons, my brother teleported a lord and a ton of warriors (16?) right behind my line. Stuck the landing like a 15 year old Russian gymnast. Really sucked for me when he glanced my 1st Vindicator into a wreck. Sucked for him when my second vindicator crashed right through the wreckage of the first and laid the pie plate on the unit with no scatter. I didn't miss a single 'to wound' roll... ouch. You won't be back!

Someone runs a lord without a res orb?

Thanks for all of the input!

Diemos, that was the tactic I had been using. And so far I have not had much trouble with terrain. Through the few games I have played, it hasn't been an issue. They are often a priority target and don't last as long as I would like anyway. Based on some of the responses it seems that they do come in handy though especially in the case of a vehicle wreck, something I had not thought about.

Grey Mage, you are absolutely right about the weirdlooking-ness of a naked vindicator. It will be factored into my decision.

As far as modeling goes, is the siege shield identical to the dozer blade?

Someone runs a lord without a res orb?

He's a new player and we had a few questions about the rules. However big the deepstriking unit was I caught them all (no deviation) and literally didn't fail a wound roll. Half of them DID get back up, not including the Lord. My bro later said we played it wrong since the Lord was killed the rest shouldn't have gotten back up. I'm still not sure, he's new to Necrons and I'd never played against them before.

As far as modeling goes, is the siege shield identical to the dozer blade?

Seeing as chaos vindicators don't have siege shields and have dozer blades instead, and yet they have the exact same dozer thingie up front, it's safe to assume that dozer blades and siege shield look the same for modeling purposes.

The ancient intent of lore for a siege sheild was reroll the front damage, since you'd have to penetrate the shield first before you could hit the vehicle. Made a vindicator very cool in supporting assaults. Makes sense from a model design standpoint, and maybe a point standpoint. In today's edition, would have been the same thing as calling the Vindicator venerable. Too bad that concept was lost to the technomages at GW....

Archived