Wound allocation question

Bolt of Change

Yes, but only if the two models are different in either stats or weapons/wargear.

Also if two of the wounds were power weapon wounds and one was a savable wound you could put both power weapon wounds on one model and the savable wound on the other if the two models are different.

For example assume two power weapon and one savable wound:

One target model has a bolter and one has a flamer. You could put both power weapon wounds on the bolter marine and the savable wound on the flamer marine (who may then survive).

Sometimes you get more"kills" by witholding attacks that deal savable wounds.

For example assume two power weapon wounds only:

One target model has a bolter and one has a flamer. Each gets a Power weapon wound so both "die".

By not causing the savable wound you guarantee that both are eliminated.

Frosty's Wound Allocation Order of Operations

1. Enemy Rolls to hit

2. Enemy Rolls to wound

3. Apply one wound to each MODEL untill each model has one wound, Then Apply a second, third, and so on untill there are no more wounds to allocate.

4. Seperate wounded models into different identical groups based on wargear and profile (so all marines with just a bolter in one group, ones with a boltpistal/ccw in another, plasmaguns in another, sergents in another and so on)

5. Roll armor saves for each GROUP

6. Within each group aply wounds in such a way to remove the maximum amount of models/wounds posible (for example intant death goes on the ones with the most wounds remaing), extra wounds do NOT carry over into other groups, they are lost.

Frosty, 1 minor edit. Also seperate based on statline.

So if you have a veteran sergeant with a bolter only, he is still a seperate group from regular marines with bolter only.

Duke has it, other than I am fairly sure you cannot withhold attacks.

RoV

Good point. The idea of not applying savable and non-savable wounds together works best when shooting.

You can't withold attacks in close combat (you can with shooting) but models that are not engaged do not attack. If you keep models that you don't want to attack behind the ones that you do want to attack you may (depending on the defenders reactions) be able to keep them unengaged. Of course they would need to be more than 2" from the models in base contact with the enemy.

Also having different initiatives can help.

IC with power weapon attacking at I5

Marines with savable attacks attacking at I4

Veteran sergent with power fist attacking at I1

This helps prevent the enemy from applying savable and non-savable wounds to the same model at the same time.

I think now that I am confused. If the OP's two original models are identical (for instance, two vanilla bolter marines) and there is a power weapon hit and two savable wounds, why can't I allocate like this...?

- Power Weapon wound on Marine 1 (he's going to die)

- Normal wound on Marine 2; he has a chance to save

- Normal wound on Marine 1

Those seem to fit the allocation rules today, unless I in fact have been mistaken about them?

Thade, you do allocate like that. But saves are rolled per group.

Frosty's step by step instructions are accurate.

This is correct. Only if the models are different (stats/weapons/wargear) can you take the saves on each one seperately.

For example:

4 bolter marines and 1 flamer marine.

Assume 4 savable wounds and 2 non savable wounds.

You could assign the 4 savable wounds to the 4 bolter marines and the 2 non savable wounds to the flamer marine.

Roll saves - lets say you get a 1,2,4,6. That means two failures. As there are 4 bolter marines 2 are removed.

The flamer marine suffers two wounds but as he only has one wound on his profile the second is wasted. He too is removed.

Now you also could have put the 2 non savable wounds and up to 3 savable wounds on the bolter marines (not a good idea) and one savable wound on the flamer marine.

Roll saves - lets say you roll a 1,3,5 for the bolter marines. You would remove 3 marines - one for the failed save and 2 for the 2 non savable wounds. You would also have to roll a save for the flamer marine.

As you can see, how you allocate wounds can have a big effect on how many models you lose. It is always a good idea to have at least one (and if possible more then 1) model who is different from the rest in a squad.

Finally there are some videos on youtube that cover wound allocation. Just search warhammer 40000 wound allocation on youtube to find them.

It is always a good idea to have at least one (and if possible more then 1) model who is different from the rest in a squad.

Really good tactical advice there!! Needed to emphasize it even if it is in the OR ><;

:) (sorry! )

Archived