Psychic Powers and ICs joining units...

thade

A Farseer casts Fortune on himself and joins an unit (or the unit moves into coherency and effectively joins him). Does the unit have the benefit of Fortune now too?

A Farseer casts Fortune on a unit and joins the unit (or the unit moves into coherency and effectively joins him). Does the Farseer benefit from Fortune now too?

A Farseer casts Fortune on himself and he's currently with a unit. Does the unit have Fortune? A second IC joins the unit. Does this IC get Fortune? The Farseer leaves the unit...does Fortune go with him, stay with the unit, or do they all keep Fortune?

This could just as easily apply to Librarian powers like Force Dome, but it came up directly with a Farseer this last game and we weren't sure how to resolve it (we settled on the Farseer NOT getting Fortune if he wasn't the initial target, and Fortune following the initial target only).

I'd have to read the wording of the power, and I don't own the Stinky Space Elf codex.

But IMO, if the Farseer casts the power before joining a unit, he does not confer it upon a unit he joins, nor does the unit confer it to him when he joins. The only way both would get it is if he were attached to the unit at the time he cast it. Only ICs attached to the Farseer's unit at the time of casting would gain its benefits.

A Farseer casts Fortune on himself and joins an unit (or the unit moves into coherency and effectively joins him). Does the unit have the benefit of Fortune now too?
No.

A Farseer casts Fortune on a unit and joins the unit (or the unit moves into coherency and effectively joins him). Does the Farseer benefit from Fortune now too?
No. (afaik)

A Farseer casts Fortune on himself and he's currently with a unit. Does the unit have Fortune? A second IC joins the unit. Does this IC get Fortune? The Farseer leaves the unit...does Fortune go with him, stay with the unit, or do they all keep Fortune?
You'd target the unit (because the farseer is one of many now), and everybody in it gets it. New joiners, however, get hosed and don't get it.

Thanks, Seahawk. What about the case where the Farseer casts it on the unit he's with then leaves the unit. Who keeps it? The unit, him, neither? I presume the unit (unless the player specifically states that the Farseer has it)...but if he does the latter, doesn't that preclude the unit from getting it? Can he specify it?

I'm not exactly sure on this but I think as its a power and it targets a unit, that any IC joining the unit will gain the benifit (as the IC is now part of the unit). However as an IC joins a unit, and not the other way around, If you cast it on the IC, and then the IC joins, nobody gets it (with fortune being lost). I have no idea how this interpritation would handle an IC joining another IC though.

What about the case where the Farseer casts it on the unit he's with then leaves the unit. Who keeps it? The unit, him, neither?
I think he loses it and the unit keeps it, but I'd reckon both have it because both were under its effects at the beginning of the turn. When targetting the unit, he also technically targets himself (as he's part of the unit), thus giving a slight loophole for a twofer power. But I doubt that second one and stick to the first where he no longer gets it.

What about the case where the Farseer casts it on the unit he's with then leaves the unit. Who keeps it? The unit, him, neither?
I think he loses it and the unit keeps it, but I'd reckon both have it because both were under its effects at the beginning of the turn. When targetting the unit, he also technically targets himself (as he's part of the unit), thus giving a slight loophole for a twofer power. But I doubt that second one and stick to the first where he no longer gets it.

Yea, thinking more along those lines, I think you are right that he would lose it.

Othewise, the Farseer and another IC (or more in other Force Org Charts) could join a unit (say, a Wraithlord) and all of the models could walk away with a three-for-one Fortune power. I feel that's not the way it's supposed to work.

Still, I see no rules addressing this, so here I am.

Archived