The Anointed

The Nephilim

I was pondering today, about many things 40k related at work, and wanted to get a general consensus amongest our fell bretheren on the matter.

Do you think that the Anointed, from Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple, are a named unit specific to Marduk's Host? Or, are they the "veteran company," and each Dark Apostle names his "veteran company" at his whim? Like Jarulek named his "veteran company" the Anointed.

I think the term "Annointed" is host-specific, so I wouldn't expect to see every WB host I came across with the same designation for their vet units.

Of course it would be very easy to see the vet units having some sort of formal/fancy title since they are the most dangerous/experianced/faithful members of the host and often serve in a bodyguard role.

As I mentioned in a previous topic, I believe that the example host is quite a bit larger than the average. If I remember correctly, there was something like 200 Terminator in the host. If we apply the typical Loyalist Chapter structure to that, thats 2 Companies of Terminators which means around 2 Chapters worth of Marines. Thats alot of Marines.

The host was so huge in the first book because of the death of another Dark apostle. Jarulek Took the dead apostles host in hopes of grooming his first acolyte into their leader and dark apostle. It never stated whether or not the anointed were all belonging to Jaruleks host or were a mix of the two. 200+ terminators is huge for a space marines codex chapter/company but remember that the Word bearers use their own organization more reminiscent of a grand company or chapters within' their original legion.

I've read the two books a number of times. It really never gives any information about another Dark Apostle's Host other than Jarulek/Marduks. Whether the terminators in every host are anointed or perhaps possessed marines are anointed seems left up to the individual Dark Apostle and his wishes or combat style.

So if you're looking for artistic freedom you've got fields of it to play in. If you decide you want to call your Vet company Anointed then all the kick-butt marines that are 'anointed' into it could be given possession instead of terminator armor. Alternatively your anointed could be marines elevated to receive the blessings of the blood god or the plague god depending on your Dark apostles wishes. The possibilities go as far as your imagination (and force org).

Yes, but the Dark Council adjudicates Host size, not the Codex Astartes.

True I was just using it as a point of reference to argue that the size of the host was big.

Personally, I wouldn't use the term "Annointed", I'd rather find a similar but unique term for the same thing.

Blessed or Baptised or Honored or Faithful or Proven etc etc

Yes, but the Dark Council adjudicates Host size, not the Codex Astartes.

True I was just using it as a point of reference to argue that the size of the host was big.

Personally, I wouldn't use the term "Annointed", I'd rather find a similar but unique term for the same thing.

Blessed or Baptised or Honored or Faithful or Proven etc etc

Or... The Nephilim. :)

Archived