Tanks and their 50% cover save

ntgcleaner

So, A friend and I are having a little debate. I think he may be right, though I just want to make sure I shouldn't abandon my argument just yet.

We had a game where my IST's disembarked from a Rhino and were standing infront of it. Base to base basically around the left and rear side. He had his commander shoot at the tank and we (at the time) agreed that it would be a normal cover save. Luckily, I saved and the game went on. Later he told me that it is true LOS which means my units could have actually not been in the way. They are scrawny storm troopers, and his thought is that we have to measure from waste to waste, leg to leg to leg to leg, head to head, shoulder to shoulder and so on to figure out if my actual troops are considered 50% in the way of my Rhino. After reading the rules, I still thought this just meant base to base, basically, my storm troopers were a 1"w x 2"h block infront of my Rhino.

Here are some images to help us understand.

He believes we should measure every gap, like so

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/ntgcleaner/cover1.jpg

I believe it should technically look like this.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/ntgcleaner/cover2.jpg

Yes, I know, I know, we could just add a -1 modifier to the save, but I just want to be certain as to what the rule is.

Vehicles for cover use true line of sight. How much do the models cover. Ignore the size of the bases.

But, don't go so far as measuring. If its close enough that you can't tell by looking, give a 5+ save.

that's a good enough explanation. Pretty much what I figured. I just also took into consideration that the unit could be "moving around" on his own base which would account for a harder shot, As they say in the rulebook when they describe such rules.

Archived