Terminators and Deep Strike

Nanodave

Hi,

I am new to the hobby and I am gathering the figures for my first army. I chose space marines, and like the Raven Guard tactics. I was reading the most recent codex for Space Marines. It says that figures in terminator armor can deep strike, but terminator squads don't have that listed under their special rules. Can terminators deep strike?

Thanks in advance.

Technically yes, but you've found one of the glaring construction issues with the rules, namely the inconsistent and incomplete treatment of unit rules. Technically Deep-strike is a scenario rule, but certain models and wargear can 'use deep-strike' if the scenario allows it. The way it's handled from a design perspective is ridiculous, but short answer, yes, terminators can deep-strike.

"DEEP STRIKE

Some units' special rules allow them to enter play via tunnelling, teleportation, flying, or some other extraordinary means. If you wish to use this 'deep strike' option, then units must begin the game in reserve (...)

(...)

Note that some units always have the option to deep strike, while others may only arrive in this way in missions where the deep strike special rule is used. Of course all the standard missions presented here do use deep strike, so normally you won't need to worry about this distinction."

Some units have the ability to deep strike, but only if the mission allows the use of deep strike. Pretty straight forward.

It says that figures in terminator armor can deep strike, but terminator squads don't have that listed under their special rules. Can terminators deep strike?

To see it in print go to C:SM p102 and look under the "Terminator armour" entry, granted it's not ideally placed there and easily overlooked. Unlike a model or units Special Rule(s) that are always shown in their Army List entry, deep strike for terminators is granted by virtue of their Wargear which is also listed.

You will also see as others have pointed out – that they can choose to teleport no matter what the mission.

Cheers

I

• 3 weeks later...

Not Trying to hijick the Posting.. but Can you Combat Squad ur 10 Assualt Terminator

and Deep strike One, while the other deploys with the rest of ur Forces? and of course can

you split and Deep strike both combat Squads??

(so i can get ten termis and only use a single Elite slot on my FOC...)

Thanks in Advance to any one that can help with this issuse.

Can you Combat Squad ur 10 Assualt Terminator and Deep strike One, while the other deploys with the rest of ur Forces?

I don't think so: you must make the decision to split a squad into combat squads when it is deployed, and a deep-striking squad deploys at another time than one that deploys normally.

However, as a tactical tip: don't deep-strike assault terminators. They'll spend a whole turn being a stationary target for anyone in range to take pot shots at.

and of course can you split and Deep strike both combat Squads??

This, though, seems possible because when the reserves roll indicates you have to deploy the terminator squad, you can decide to split it into combat squads and deploy both at the same time — either by deep-striking both, deep-striking one and having the other walk onto the table from the edge, or having both walk onto the table.

Not Trying to hijick the Posting.. but Can you Combat Squad ur 10 Assualt Terminator

and Deep strike One, while the other deploys with the rest of ur Forces? and of course can

I think it works in the same way as combat squading units in a drop pod. They arrive together but from then on act as indavidual units.

I think it works in the same way as combat squading units in a drop pod. They arrive together but from then on act as indavidual units.

thanks for the info brothers...

all of you.. His praise be yours

and blessing on your Armor and bolters

Following up this quote: "they arrive together but from then..."

would i need to Deep strike to a single point on the board?? and then combat Squad the unit?

i'd like to be able to "box or Crush isolatated units, in turn 3 or 4. but with in Rnuuiu6 Distances to be claimed or Assualted that last unit...and i hear that about DSing "assualt termies" but i also use them as point defence if i'm using the Thin Hard line style of playing.

and of course can you split and Deep strike both combat Squads??

This, though, seems possible because when the reserves roll indicates you have to deploy the terminator squad, you can decide to split it into combat squads and deploy both at the same time — either by deep-striking both, deep-striking one and having the other walk onto the table from the edge, or having both walk onto the table.

Due to the rules of reserves you may not have one deap strike, and one walk in. (you MUST declare the method for entering play when you place it in reserves before the first turn, and as it is only one unit while in reserves you can only declare one method which must be upheld). That said I see no problems with having the reserve roll come up, and then spliting them into combat squads and deepstriking each combat squad to different locations.

deep strike for terminators is granted by virtue of their Wargear which is also listed.

I agree that this is what happens but again the rules don't actually specifically describe the mechanism by which models inherit rules from wargear or that wargear itself actually has USR. It's just bad design, but then it's a beer and pretzels hobby game, so maybe it's not reasonable to expect well-thought out or designed rules.

maybe it's not reasonable to expect well-thought out or designed rules.

I beg to differ — other manufacturers can write rules that don't have major loopholes or omissions in them, which means GW can as well.

But I think a thread about this doesn't belong in the official rules forum, and anyway, there are plenty of them already to continue the discussion in :)

deep strike for terminators is granted by virtue of their Wargear which is also listed.

I agree that this is what happens but again the rules don't actually specifically describe the mechanism by which models inherit rules from wargear or that wargear itself actually has USR. It's just bad design, but then it's a beer and pretzels hobby game, so maybe it's not reasonable to expect well-thought out or designed rules.

They expect players to have an IQ higher than the average beer or bowl of peanuts :), and the maturity of atleast a well aged scotch.

I dont see the problem. They have terminator armor. Terminator armor allows you to teleport (which is actualy a distinct subsect of deapstrike, thus if deapstrike was in their rules it would be wrong). I mean we are not complaining that marine bikers dont have twinlinked bolter in their equipment list. Wargear has rules, it would behoove folk to read the rules for the wargear their models have.

They expect players to have an IQ higher than the average beer or bowl of peanuts ;), and the maturity of atleast a well aged scotch.

Funny but a bit harsh on the beer and peanuts I think. Anyway, as has been said, its pretty clear what termy armour allows you to do so...

The designers themselves have referred to it as "beer and pretzels hobby game." It's certainly how the WD battle reports are written. Americans, like myself, who want to play a competitive, consistent game are not the target audience for the GW rulesets (if they were, why would Adepticon feel the need to publish a 100 page rules addendum.)

The designers themselves have referred to it as "beer and pretzels hobby game." It's certainly how the WD battle reports are written. Americans, like myself, who want to play a competitive, consistent game are not the target audience for the GW rulesets (if they were, why would Adepticon feel the need to publish a 100 page rules addendum.)

I think what he was saying is that saying comparing the intelegence of the average 40k player, to the average beer and pretzel, is insulting to the intelegence of the beer and prestzels.

Archived